Whatcha Cooking? [Food Pictures]

A little teaser for you: sometime soon I will make a treat that intimidates me a little, AND get into the beautiful madness that is different local names for foods, using what I will have made as a starting point :slight_smile:

Last week I made a super delicious beef and spinach lasagna. It was my first time making lasagna from scratch and I was happy with how it turned out. Would make again!

7 Likes

Today I was lazy so I fell back to a college favorite.

Poorly made hash browns covered in brown sugar baked beans. It sounds and looks terrible but it has a good sweet and salty combo going on.

It is the pinnacle of “I didn’t go shopping but I need to eat” meals.

3 Likes

Y’all are goddamn killing it with food these last few days. I’m very jealous.

I’m making Pizzas tomorrow though!

1 Like

In the spirit of not only sharing our successes, here’s a (Rheinland style, savory) pancake with bacon bits that got real messy.

Not only did I make the batter slightly too thick, I also noticed right after putting it into the hot pan that my only spatula was in the currently running dishwasher!

It still tasted good, so not all was lost :wink:

PS: this is not the thing I was teasing

6 Likes

The promised picture of my trail mix from the stream

4 Likes

Today I made a batch of these:

They’re made from a sweet leavened dough, deep fried and usually filled with some kind of preserve. If you’re from an English-speaking country the closest comparison is probably donuts, except ours don’t have holes in them.

Most bakeries have them year-round but their main seasons are New Year’s Eve and Karneval, the few days just before Lent where many people dress up in silly costumes, tell terrible jokes and play even worse music. But I digress.

The name is where things get interesting. Where I grew up (the Ruhrgebiet) they’re known as Berliner Ballen or just Berliner. Other regions have different names, like Pfannkuchen (most of east Germany, including Berlin), Krapfen (south Germany and Austria) or Puffel (this one came up when I researched, apparently it;s in use in the Aachen region; this surprised me, because I’ve been living there for 13 years now and have never heard that name!)

The wild thing to me is that both Krapfen and Pfannkuchen are also names of food in my home region! The former is pretty similar to a Berliner, but usually contains raisins or something similar, and no preserves. They’re also pretty popular in the Netherlands, where they’re called oliebollen. Here’s an image that I found:

Pfannkuchen, on the other hand, are completely different. They’re not made with any yeast, are not sweet, are not deep fried and pretty flat. Here’s one with sausage (I might have shared this image before)

So there you have it. A pastry named after a city is known by a different name in that city, which is the name of a very different kind of food elsewhere, which is also pretty different from the version of that food in other countries. It may be confusing, but I think it’s a fun kind :smiley:

7 Likes

It has been awhile since I had a big cooking project, I moved earlier this month. In Peyton Manning’s honor and to “celebrate” (I guess) this horrible season for the Broncos, here’s Chicken Parm:

4 Likes

Looking at this thread is a bad thing to do when trying to avoid making oneself hungry

1 Like