What'cha reading?

As you have good taste in videogame websites, I bet that you have good taste in books as well. So, what have you been reading recently, and would you recommend it?
I just finished Pattern Recognition by William Gibson, and it’s one of the best things I’ve read in quite a while. I usually just read sci-fi and fantasy, but this book totally hooked me. It wraps up much too neatly at the end, but that’s the only quibble I had with it. Super highly recommended, particularly if you’ve enjoyed William Gibson’s cyberpunk work.

Rereading a lot of McCarthy right now:

And reading this for the first time:

I’m reading through Neil Gaiman’s new translation/interpretation of Norse mythology, it’s really good so far.

I’m currently reading Michael Chabon’s “Telegraph Avenue” and I don’t really know how I feel about it yet. It hasn’t grabbed me like some of his other work has.

I’m also reading a lot of magazines (somehow!), if that counts?

I dug Norse Mythology as well. I love how his Thor is simultaneously the deadliest creature alive and a blundering dumbass.

I just started Terry Pratchett’s “Mort” yesterday. It is the first Pratchett book for me. I really dig his style.

Yeah I think he gets the voice of an oral storyteller really well and at the same time has a dry humor that really seems to fit. There’s a lot of underscored humor that feels right.

Mort is a good starting place, I think it’s the first to star Death, who is probably his best character by far.

I bought it right after seeing him speak a few weeks ago, where he read the Wedding story, and it was the best thing in the world having his voices for all the gods in my head as I read.

Reader with poor taste here! I don’t read as often as I’d like but most of my reading has been nonfiction recently. I just finished “Brady vs. Manning” by Gary Myer. While I wish the whole piece had a bit more teeth it gave some great insight into the lives of two amazing quarterbacks (even if I’m not the biggest fan of either as people). I started reading Derek Yu’s book on Spelunky too and that’s incredibly informative. Though if you want a less in depth look at the game and story of its creation, NoClip’s video on it is great!

I just finished Elizabeth Moon’s Paladin’s Legacy books, which are a follow up to The Deed of Paksenarrion (which I think everyone who likes fantasy even a little bit should read). Haven’t started anything else for pleasure yet as I’m in the middle of paper-writing hell to finish up the semester.

Mort is the best one to start with, for sure.

Currently reading American War by Omar El Akkad. It’s about a future 2nd American Civil War between the South (Reds) and North (Blues), not about slavery, but about the use of fossil fuels. The Reds don’t want to convert to clean energy and that ignites a brutal 2nd American Civil War.

Being from the South myself, Alabama, it hits eerily close to home. Being a liberal in one of the reddest states isn’t easy, and seeing how the Reds treats the entire situation, it’s very accurate.

I just blasted through Interesting Times and Carpe Jugulum by Terry Pratchett.

Next up is Assassin’s Fate by Robin Hobb when it releases in a few days.

I’m a slow reader and that frustrates me so I end up stopping a lot of books that I’m enjoying. That hasn’t happened for The Witcher series. I’m in the 4th novel now, though I will say the first novel is a very slow read compared to the superior short story compilations.

I’ve also recently purchased Wicked and Weird, the autobiography of Buck 65 and Abomination by Gary Whitta.

I’m also in the mood to reread something old. Thinking it’ll be either Harry Potter (start with the first and see how far I get), Life of Pi, or The Catcher in the Rye. Now that I think about it, I haven’t read Catcher since before The Ocean is Full of Bowling Balls leaked. I should reread them and see how that affects the experience.

I’m a Pratchett Night Watch guy myself, but it’s hard to pick one of those books to start with. So yeah, Mort probably is the best first Discworld novel.

I’m still getting used to reading this forum on a phone and for a second thought you were responding about pratchet and I was like …what, how, what

Guards Guards is a good starting point but I just like the death cycle a bit more.

Conversely I think the night watch probably has the strongest singular moments of any of the books.

(Aside from small gods which I personally like the best.)

RIP

There’s lots of good, good overlap there.

Actually, I was sad because he didn’t have time to sign books, but I’ve been trying to get his signature on my copy of Good Omens since Terry signed it when I was 13!

Not to be “that” guy but I’ve been reading the x23 collection by yost and kyle and just started paper girls by vaughn and chiang