What'cha reading?

That’s an admirable goal. Not sure what else you’ve read on the topic, but I really liked ‘Economics: The User’s Guide’ by Cambridge economist Ha-Joon Chang. It felt to me like an unusually honest overview of the field, with the aim of creating a more informed citizen. It also had good suggestions for further reading on specific topics at the end of each chapter.

Is there a Waypoint Goodreads group or something?

I’d be totally into that. I wonder if other people would join it?

I would make one, but I’d feel a bit weird about it just now given I only just joined this forum. If there is interest for one and nobody else makes it though, I will.

Kafka on the shore is my favourite novel of his. I didn’t like Norwegian Wood that much and I also found 1Q84 a little cringy.
I am a huge Murakami fan and really like a lot of his books. Wind up bird chronicle is amazing and I really liked Hardboiled wonderland and the end of the world.

I am currently reading The brothers Karamazov by Dostoyevsky.
I really love Dostoyevsky and Karamzov is probably his greatest novel. It has wrecked me emotionally.

It’s a little hard to tell how far in I am on a kindle, but I wager I’m close to finishing the first one.

I tore through the Broken Earth trilogy last month, which I think I liked a bit better (I’m a sucker for earth bending), but there’s still a lot of book to go!

Pamela. God, I hate it.

My work had a used items sale and I picked up some mystery that I can’t remember the title and also No Country For Old Men. I haven’t seen the movie and know nothing about it but so far I’m weirded out by how it’s written in a casual way how people talk or think, but in the third person.

Currently reading through A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini. I’m really enjoying it so far, I’m a lot more invested with it so far than the Kite Runner and I love The Kite Runner. I’m about midway through, could have finished it sooner but I’ve been reading on and off due to moving this past month.

I recommend it, even midway through the novel, especially for anyone interested in Afghani culture and history and the role of women within it.

I’d definitely join it

I’m slowly reading through the Culture series by Iain M. Banks. Consider Phlebas was okay, but not one of my favorites, but The Player of Games was great. Currently reading Use of Weapons, and really enjoying it so far.

Right now I’m halfway through The Wind Up Bird Chronicle by Haruki Murakami and I’m really enjoying it. I love how descriptive the prose is, the main character’s emotions are well portrayed. I highly recommend people reading it.

I’ve been jumping around Christine Korsgaard’s bibliography.

In preparation for book 3 of the Stormlight Archive, I’m finishing up Words of Radiance by Brandon Sanderson

I’ve been reading “Embracing Defeat: Japan in the Wake of World War II”. It has been a good, although depressing read so far.

My psychologist had just started reading “The subtle art of not giving a F*ck” (that’s the exact wording, I’m not trying to do a fake-swear) and recommended it to me last month, I’m slowly getting through it, it’s been a great self-help book that I needed in the last month that was kind of emotionally heavy.

I’m still working my way through volume 4 of The Familiar, ahead of volume 5’s release at the end of the month. I need to carve out time this weekend to sit down and get through the rest - it moves quickly, but I’ve been super tired and more likely to play a game or watch tv the past couple of weeks.

I’ll pick up volume 5 when it drops, but I’ve been thinking an awful lot about Pynchon’s Against the Day again recently so I might have to go back and read it again (read Against the Day. It is Pynchon’s best work in my opinion, and probably my favorite novel, hands down).

i usually have one non-fiction and one fiction book on the go at any given time

so atm im reading estates: an intimate history by lynsey hanley and fictions by jorge luis borges

the first i’m not… in love with? it touches on a lot of political issues like austerity, destruction of community spaces, lack of maintenance, etc etc etc but then keeps kind of veering off towards an argument that it is The Architecture That Is The Problem. it’s worth reading i think if u are interested in class in the UK at all but it’s just… a little bit centrist.

i am enjoying fictions A WHOLE HELL OF A LOT. im not academic so there’s a few stories i feel like i’m probably Missing The Point In and might have to do some background reading on but i particularly liked Pierre Menard as like, a statement on death of the author? it’s one of the earlier stories in the book and its the one that’s been rattling around my head the most i think

That finale, though…

giphy (1)