What'cha reading?

Currently reading Lone Wolf 2100. It’s a cyberpunk/post-apocalyptic retelling of Lone Wolf and Cub. Not very far into it because I’m also reading a lot of other stuff for school but it combines most of my interests so I’m into it.

shh :slight_smile: I’m at interludes 11, amazing T and E gif!!

I started Joe Hill’s Strange Weather last night. I made it through Snapshot before turning in. I grew up with a grandmother who had Alzheimer’s so the story hit a little close to home, but there is something about his style that felt clumsy and I can’t quite put my finger on it. I always think that reading really good writing feels like dancing. There is a rhythm to it. I can bop or waltz or square dance right along. I just didn’t get that feeling with Snapshot. Digging into Loaded on the train home tonight. It seems a bit longer so maybe it will give me some time to find the beat.

I really really enjoyed this book. Felt like it respectfully gave you the perspective of someone on the spectrum. You got to see how that mind might work and so on. I should re-read it. It was good.

I just finished Season of Migration to the North by Tayeb Salih and it was amazing. There’s a lot to unpack in it but I would describe it as a post-colonial existentialist novel. The language is so beautiful and there are scenes I will probably never forget, some because of their beauty and some because of how horrible they are. I’ll probably give it another read in the next year, once I have taken a brief look at some modern Sudanese history for context.

I’m reading Jerusalem by Selma Lagerlöf. It’s about how a Christian revival movement splits a small, Swedish village in the late 19th century as they emigrate to Jerusalem: inspired by a similar event that occured only a few years before the book was published.

As good books do, it comes at this by caring for its characters. The first part (it was originally released in two) is all about showing why a group of people would enter this movement. All reasons are treated with respect, even a few supernatural revelations that Lagerlöf doesn’t attempt to give explanations for: what matters is that they are real to the characters.

At the same time, it does not shy away from showing the pain that this split causes the community. Families and bethothed are torn apart as both sides’ faiths are tried. And for all the good intentions that the revivalist movement has, it shows moments of hypocricy as some people are left behind for not fitting in completely.

I’ve only gotten a bit into when the group reaches Jerusalem (the second of the two parts), but it’s been a terrific read so far.

That seems very interesting. I’ll pick it up once I’m finished with my current read.

Bird Box, Josh Malerman
Turned out to be a very quick read. The premise is that something (referred to as creatures in the book) have appeared in our world, and just looking at them drives people to madness and suicide. So the survivors are shut ins who can only go outside with their eyes closed.
It’s an effectively written book, the scenes describing going outside with a blindfold on and never knowing if there are creatures or whatever all around you, very unnerving.

Along similar lines, I’m making my way through Eric Cline’s 1177BC: The Year Civilization Collapsed. Great read. Like Beard’s book, it’s academic-level research in mass cultural prose.

just started it yesterday so far so good
wait comic books count as reading right :upside_down_face: ?

halfway through this P K Dick’s biography (in portuguese, but found this english cover), just got Neil Gaiman’s American Gods in a bargain and thinking of jumping between both

Finished the first book in the Inheritance Trilogy before bed last night and stuff got wacky.

I honestly have no idea what the perspective of the next book(s) is going to be, but I’m excited to find out.

Finally finishing up the Old Man’s War series. Took a few years off between books.

This is the Comics and Lit section :slight_smile:
Saga is amazing. Lovelovelove it!

Is asking for reccomendations okay?

I really want to get into Sci-Fi, but I am having trouble finding anything modern with a young, progressive perspective.

I could easily find a list of hundreds of books to start me off, but they would probably be from pre-2000 and I personally fair better with books that are more modern. Pacing is very important to me, I don’t usually prefer books that fawn over themselves.

Suggestions from the last two or three years would be super!

Lucky you. Pratchett’s is my favourite writer. You have such an amazingly funny and surprisingly deep and beautiful body of work to go through. I still cannot believe he is gone.

I have started The Three-Body Problem by Liu Cixin after hearing so much about it. However, I am struggling to keep going.

Haven’t read much new sci-fi as of late, other than The Expanse novells (starts with Leviathan Wakes). I’d say it’s pretty progressive, though not “young”, characters are in the range of late 20’s and into their late 30’s.

I’d recommend looking into Becky Chambers’ books, The Long Way To a Small, Angry Planet and its sequel, A Closed And Common Orbit. Both are pretty fast paced sci fi books which i think pretty strongly fit into the “young, progressive perspective” you’re looking for.

What @Protome said about Becky Chambers, is spot on. You might also enjoy Anne Leckie and maybe Kameron Hurley, both of whom I think fit your brief.

That’s the third time I’ve seen Becky Chambers recommended so I’m going to start there. Thanks everyone. :innocent: