What'cha reading?

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a book cover before that looked so much like it had been algorithmically generated

Hahaha, yeah, I’m working my way through one of those right now. I’ve already got some theories as to why that’s in there with this high tech society.

I haven’t gotten into it yet, but Stellaris is supposed to have some major influence from the Culture. One of the game updates was even called the Banks patch.

I can’t tell you. I just know it pretty much had me from go. Different strokes, I guess.

started reading this yesterday

im pretty interested in how it frames class as like an intersection of economic, social and cultural capital bc like. even talking to other lefties u get a lot of ppl who still assert that Your Job And Only Your Job denotes yr class which is super simplistic lol

but also being a sociological text (even an introductory one) there’s A LOT OF STATISTICS which im finding hard to really wrap my head around. idk im mostly just reading it for the analysis more than the hard numbers vOv

You might also like ‘The Making of the English Working Class’ by E.P Thompson which focuses on the late 1700’s to the mid 1800’s.

Finished Kafka on the Shore, it’s a great read. Kept seeing similarities to 1Q84, beyond the usual Murakami surrealism, like the use of dual protagonists. Makes me want to read 1Q84 again, and I probably will!

But first, We Were Eight Years in Power: An American Tragedy by Ta-Nehisi Coates, reccomended by the new ResetEra reading thread.
953028E5-27F8-44D3-9005-3ED4BF20E5DD
It’s a collection of essays that examine American politics during the Obama years up to the election of Trump, specifically the politics of race. So far only read the first essay, written in 2007 about Bill Cosby and his “call out” events.

Finally got around to finishing The Loneliest Girl In The Universe. It was fine. An easy enough read with a lot of build up for very little pay off.

Next up I’m reading All The Birds In The Sky which I’ve been meaning to get around to for what feels like ages.

Finished We Were Eight Years in Power. Haven’t read any Coates before, his writing style really drew me in despite the painful subject matter and my own affinity for the Fictional over the Non. It’s helped me process my own questions (and disbelief) about the 2016 election. I liked how extremely self critical he is in the note sections. Very much recommended for those interested in a African American perspective on American politics.
Next is Borne by Jeff Vandermeer

About half way through The Grace Of Kings and I’m liking it a lot so far, although a little concerned that the amount of book remaining means things are going to go very badly for our heroes soon. I am really enjoying the way fantasy writing has started to reach out of it’s pseudo-north-west-europe roots and start being pseudo-other-places instead.

I’m finishing up O, Pioneers by Willa Cather today.
I really recommend it to anyone who wants a cozy read for the winter months, especially if you are a longtime Midwesterner like I am. It’s really astounding how well she captures prairie life and customs.

Woof, I’ve started about twelve books in the last two months and only finished one.

By the Time You Read This, I’ll Be Dead is a YA fiction book about a teenage girl with depression. It’s a short read and I liked it. I found it while searching for fictional books that handled depression and anxiety well. CW: suicidal ideation/bullying/body shaming and likely other things I’m not thinking about.

Otherwise, I think my best bet lies in the land of anthologies. I just picked up Beyond the Stars and Starlit Woods, which I’m really excited about. It’s an anthology of retold fairy tales and one of the contributors is a personal fave (Valente).

I’m generally a fantasy/sci-fi nerd and that’s pretty much all I read these days. I just finished Assassin’s Apprentice by Robin Hobb recently, really enjoyed it, and was halfway through the second book in the trilogy when I got sidetracked by The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August by Catherine Webb which has been really good so far.

I’ve been trying to add more fantasy/sci-fi written by women to my read list after noticing that, until recently, the list was exclusively male with the exception of J.K. Rowling.

(illustration by Keith Negley from a New Yorker review, posted cause I really like it)
Borne by Jeff VanderMeer. Sci fi novel about life after the bio-science apocalypse. Some cool concepts in here, foremost being a godzilla sized flying bear named Mord who terrorizes the city (Seeing as Mord is introduced right away, I don’t think it’s much of a spoiler). It’s a fun book, relatively short too. Maybe this goes without saying, but it has to fight against post-apocalyptic story fatigue. I don’t think I’m alone in this. So many years reading stories about the world ending… there’s almost no emotional impact left in me.

I had that realisation and decided to spend a year only reading female authors. It was a good year and I discovered some really great books. N. K. Jemisin, Elizabeth Bear, Kate Elliott and Juliet E McKenna are writers I particularly enjoyed during that year and they are all well worth seeking out. Also at that point I hadn’t read any Bujold and there really should be a law.

That books and it’s sequel 'the wall of storm’s are really good takes on early to mid Han dynasty. The first book follows events of the fall of the Qin and the rise of the Han really closely while the second books mixes it in terms of the time scale. It has me really interested to see how Liu adapts that later Han history in the third book.

Other non NW EU medival books - Aliette De Bodard ‘Dominion’ series is gothic ruined Paris where the remnants are ruled by houses led by fallen angels. She also wrote a trilogy set in Mesoamerica.

Sofia Samatars ’ A Stranger in Olondria. and ‘The Winged histories’. Janny Wurts and Steph Swainston

If you are looking for sci-fi writers - Nina Allan, Tricia Suvillian, Ada Palmer, Malka Older, Pat Cardigan, Kameron Hurley, Octivia Butler, Nnedi Okorafor, Nalo Hopkinson, Vonda mcintyre, Justina Robson.

Currently reading “What Happened” by Hillary Clinton. I need to finish it before I start on the next Stormlight Archive book.

I will say that of these four series, Samatar’s is probably the least traditional in structure/approach, compared to the others being structurally recognizable as “sprawling epic fantasy”, “dark fantasy adventure”, and “fantasy mystery/thriller”. That might be a plus for some readers and a minus for others. I personally thought that “The Winged Histories” was absolutely beautiful and deserves way more attention that it seems to have gotten, although “A Stranger in Olondria” wasn’t quite my thing.

I haven’t yet read A Stranger In Olondria because I wasn’t sure it would be my sort of thing. Does The Winged Histories rely on it?

Not at all! They take place in the same fictional region, and there are some shared themes, I think, but it isn’t really a sequel kind of situation.