What'cha reading?

I’ll keep an eye out for Shortcomings! Haven’t seen any of his other work at all. I didn’t realize he did New Yorker covers but I guess that makes sense aha. I really like his art - something very human and very intimate about it.

I re-read all the Earthsea books earlier this year - they’re so good and it seems like they get better every time I read them! It’s also interesting to see the world and stories evolve as time goes on; each book seems to take the series further away from traditional fantasy tropes in really interesting ways.

Currently I’m re-reading another Le Guin book, Always Coming Home, which builds a picture of a future post-post-apocalyptic(?) California society via a collection of their myths, stories, poems, plays, memoirs, religious rites, etc. I don’t think I’ve read anything else quite like it, but if you’re interested in world-building and/or utopias it’s worth a read.

Okay so, this is gonna sound weird but…
I’ve been reading Homestuck. But in book form?

There’s three volumes of it out, and I was able to get 'em all for €60 so I figured why not? It’s been fascinating to see how something so multimedia heavy translates into static images on a page, and because I was, once upon a time, academically interested in the differences in works of literature as presented in different mediums (LET’S TALK ABOUT HOUSE OF LEAVES HAVING AN E-BOOK VERSION AND HOW IT UNDERMINES THE BOOK-AS-LABYRINTH MOTIF SOME TIME OKAY), I’ve been legit interested in print collections of Homestuck since back when they were being released through Topatoco (but I didn’t have money back then), so having print editions that are, frankly, fucking huge is kind of the fulfillment of 26-year-old-me’s dreams.

There’s also commentary from Hussie, which is mostly him making dumb jokes because that’s kind of just how Andrew Hussie rolls, but other bits of the process of assembling and planning what is an incredibly twisty and complicated plot full of mobius double reacharound timeloops and such is pretty fascinating in its own right (and really worth the price of admission if I’m honest). I’ve been working through the comic online again on and off since last year (because that shit is long and I’ve been sort of leisurely heading through it, I have a lot of comic left (I’m in one of the Act 6 intermissions. Like, number three or four)) and it’s been fascinating to see the seeds of later stuff planted in the early acts. I think the fourth book comes out early next year, and it’s the Troll Act, aka Act Five, aka When Shit Really Gets Wild, so I’m looking forward to that I think?

Some of the humor doesn’t hold up, because in the end it’s shitty teens telling gay jokes and using the odd abelist slur like it’s going out of style, but that’s part of the time and place of the comic, I think. Given how many characters end up being queer in that thing I’m willing to chalk it up to shitty teen verisimilitude rather than some kind of display of authorial homophobia. Certainly that’s how the author’s notes seem to imply it was meant to be viewed (but they would, wouldn’t they?). At any rate, that’s not for me to decide. Your mileage may vary, obviously, but it would be disingenuous of me to not mention that it might be an issue for some.

At any rate, they’re cool books! I don’t know that it’s a great introduction to the comic, as the author notes reference a lot of stuff that happens later on (plus the animations and music are really fucking good - I should note the book provides reference numbers for each comic so you can punch it into the Homestuck website and go directly there if you so wish), but actually now that I’m thinking about it it might be interesting to see how the print experience treats someone who’s never read the comic before.So uh, someone who doesn’t know what the fuck Homestuck is buy one of these books and get back to me, okay? Okay.

Le Guin translated a book by an Argentinian writer called Kalpa Imperial - the greatest empire that never was that is history of a vaguely Byzantine empire that is kinda similar as fiction written as non-fiction.

And that remind me of another called Atlas: The Archaeology of an Imaginary City which is a books about the history of a city called Victoria which is fictional take on Hong Kong written by archeologists from the future trying to understand it.

And Strange Horizons just released a long essay on Always Coming Home

Oh hey I’ve read Kalpa Imperial actually - good point about the similarities there. It’s a pretty interesting read. (A few other Angelica Goridischer books have been translated into English in recent years too - not by Le Guin but they seem well done. I liked Trafalgar but it’s got a much lighter comic tone than Kalpa. http://smallbeerpress.com/books/2013/02/12/trafalgar/)

I haven’t read Atlas - sounds neat! I’ll have to check it out. And the Strange Horizons article too! Thanks for the reccs. :smile:

Got this from the library yesterday. I haven’t really dived in yet, but I love the Beholder circa 1975.

6ofcrows

I’m reading Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo. My sister gave me her copy and told me to read it because it was “mindblowingly good”. Its about a gritty fantasy heist book, which should be my cup of tea. I’m only 5 chapters in, and i have to say, its been a real struggle. I like a lot of things about it, but damn, one of the MCs, Kaz, is just the most much. I just don’t like him, and not even in that “i love to hate him” way. I dunno if anyone in Waypoint has read this and knows if it gets better? Does it?

I’m probably gonna finish either way out of respect for my sister, but its a struggle.

i’ve read this book and its sequel and like them a lot but yeah, kaz was probably my least favorite character out of the crew, particularly early on. he does get character development that made me warm to him but i can’t say if it would make you enjoy his character more? he’s definitely of a character type that might just stay insufferable to some people no matter what, i don’t know haha. it’s also been a year or two since i read the books so it’s hard to remember specifics.

best of luck!

The Borrowers by Mary Norton. Never read this one before. Reading it to the kiddo now. At once magical and at the same time oh so domestic.

Been ages since I read these, but somewhere in the back of my mind I’ve always thought there is a great Borrowers open world adventure game waiting to be made - set in a single house and possibly the surrounding yard.

Also if your kid likes the book, Studio Ghibli’s The Secret World of Arrietty is loosely based on it (I thought it was pretty fun - and the animation is gorgeous of course):

I have drenched myself in Warhammer 40K books.

Read the first four books of the Horus Heresy. Read the first book of Gaunt’s Ghosts and half of the second book. Currently making my way through Fire Caste.

LET ME TELL YOU THAT THE WARHAMMER 40K UNIVERSE IS EMOTIONALLY DRAINING. Everyone sucks so much.

Been picking away at Under The Pendulum Sun for a couple of weeks now.

I’m enjoying it so far, the world of Arcadia they set up is magical and weird and interesting. I’ve heard it gets a bit…questionable later on but so far at least it’s pretty good. Hoping to get it finished before I head back to my family for the holidays, because I want to read Record Of A Spaceborn Few over Christmas.

Somewhat related, my mum bought me the collection of BBC Radio 4 Radio Play adaptations of Terry Pratchett books. iTunes wasn’t able to figure out the track listings for the discs though so that has been a pain in the ass to sort. Managed to get Mort ripped and into a podcast player to make it easier to jump in and out of and listened to it. That’s a very good and very fun adaptation of Mort, I highly recommend it.

Found the beautiful physical version of Tillie Walden’s On a Sunbeam
at the library today. Read it online last year when it was brought up in the comic of the year thread here.

My main window into the world of Fairies had been Neal Gaiman and Susanna Clarke until I read this book.Under the Pendulum Sun approaches the Fairy world as how it would relate to doctrines of Christianity…which Gaiman and Clarke play around with, for instance the business of being located next door to Hell and having to pay a tithe to Satan.
Anyway, the book…some very interesting imagery, it’s written like a victorian romance in some ways which is good and bad for me personally.

Seen this at ye olde local comics shoppe a few times and I’m really intrigued by it. Sounds like you would recommend it?

Yes! It was one of my favorite comics last year!
check it out here if you want a preview

Awesome! Now I’m even more excited to check it out :smiley:

Killing Commendatore by Haruki Murakami.
Got other books to read but I read the first chapter then had to shift over to this one.

My first impression was that this novel contains so many elements from his other stories that it’s almost like a collage of his previous work, remixed into its own unique shape. This isn’t meant as a dig, in fact it’s comforting to me because i’ve enjoyed these ideas so much in the past…it’s like eating a meal made out of my comfort foods.

Synopsis is: 30 year old man is a successful portrait painter, his wife suddenly wants a divorce, and he decides to give up portraits, move up to the mountains and house sit his friends dad’s house. Once there he finds a mysterious painting and weirdness quickly escalates.

Yo, first comment on a forum of a community I’ve been following for a year, so I better make this count.

Probably something everyone on here has to discussed to death, but I picked up Watchmen during the comixology Black Friday sales and I just started reading for the first time as an adult with political feelings.

I’m only about a third of the way through but realizing my grimdark-teenage-self’s hero Rorschach was espousing musings that amount to the wet dreams of puritan alt-right incels is a lot.