What'cha reading?

I’d say it’s not worth it personally, as someone who watched the first 3 seasons of the anime. It does some neat things, but more bad than good imo.

I would tentatively suggest trying to watch/read katanagatari if you liked the better stuff. I can’t guarantee it’s perfect, but I remember it being much better

1 Like

The Stars are Legion by Kameron Hurley.
Liked this one a lot. It’s a little hard to describe, but I’ll give it a shot.
Distant future, entire worlds are used for space travel. Most of the technology in the book is biotech, almost incomprehensible and terrifying.
It’s a heroes journey, love story and exploration of a possible future full of tentacle covered planets that love and devour us entirely.

4 Likes

For something that’s hard to describe, you’ve done a very good job getting me interested. Is it an easy read or pretty stiff?

It’s an easy read. There’s some high concept sci fi going on in the background, but the format is an adventure story.
Occurs to me theres a possible content warning for body horror, specifically I can see how scenes of characters giving birth to wierd biotech monstrosities would be disturbing

1 Like

I recently finished Hannah Holleman’s Dust Bowls of Empire: Imperialism, Environmental Politics, and the Injustice of ‘‘Green’’ Capitalism. It’s an urgent and captivating book that discusses the dust bowl era as a product of capitalism and settler colonialism. It’s fascinating because the parallels between climate change and soil erosion are clear, both in terms of their root causes but also in the sense that they were clearly forewarned. It’s really eerie reading accounts by people who understood the threat posed by soil erosion decades before the dust bowl began and knew techniques to manage it, but were unable to use them due to predatory institutions that forced farmers to prioritise profits over sustainability.

Without moving too far into territory that probably deserves its own thread, I think this book has changed my feelings towards the New Green Deal? Holleman makes a convincing argument that because the New Deal, which addressed the symptoms of poverty and environmental decay, did nothing to meaningfully challenge the systems of exploitation (such as capitalism and white supremacy) that enabled them to continue, there’s good reason to be wary of legislation that models itself after the original New Deal if it promises anything less than the total abolishment of capital.

I also read through My Lesbian Experience with Loneliness by Nagato Kabi. I don’t have much to say worth sharing, except that I’m glad I made the time for it. Parts of it are deeply relatable, and I’m excited to check out her other works when I get the chance!

3 Likes

The 7 1/2 Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle by Stuart Turton. Was recommended a few months ago in the Resetera reading thread.
At its heart, this is a Victorian era murder mystery game, with a bunch of twists and turns that would probably spoil the book to talk about.
One thing you might notice right away is that wow this could easily be one of those episodes of Star Trek where they get trapped in the holodeck or any other episodic SF show with VR equivalent. Only including the briefest amount of description of the “real world” outside the game was a smart move on the authors part.
Overall it was worth reading but not exceptional.

I’m still reading Record of a Spaceborn Few and bought The City In The Middle of The Night to read next but everything I’ve seen about The Light Brigade by Kameron Hurley makes me think that I need to buy and read that next instead.

1 Like

Inspired by the Love Death Robots show on Netflix, I borrowed Beyond the Aquila Rift: The Best of Alastair Reynolds from the library. A collection of his short stories, all SF. Enjoying what I’ve read so far.

1 Like

I just bought this online!

Finished Roadside Picnic today.

51mtXVnAaNL

It was pretty good, though I have to say that Red is a COMPLETELY unlikable protagonist, and while he has some good qualities here and there, my hatred for him kept growing and growing with every chapter. The stand out here is the world building, which is fantastic and I can see why both the film Stalker and the STALKER video games drew so much from it.

I loved the stuff with his daughter Monkey and his zombie father, and I was hoping that the message would push towards humanity adapting to these new mutations and changes in the family dynamic, but it just got more dreary and dreary. I guess I should have expected it, being a Russian novel.

3 Likes

Finished Beyond the Aquila Rift: The Best of Alastair Reynolds.
Starts off strong with Great Wall of Mars which introduces some of the different cultures in Reynold’s universe, like the technology assisted hive-mind of the Conjoiners.
The adaptation of Zima Blue in Love Death Robots captured the story perfectly.
Maybe my favorite in this collection is Diamond Dogs, because what started out as an already interesting Cube like premise of a mysterious alien death tower turned into a kind of cyberpunk/horror story I wasn’t entirely expecting.

2 Likes

I just started this and am super intrigued so far, an hour or so in (Picked it up on audiobook from Libby.) Thanks for the recommendation!

I just finished Severance by Ling Ma. It’s a fascinating novel that uses a zombie apocalypse as the frame for isolation, routine, and consumption.

1 Like

I recently finished Tiamat’s Wrath, the latest entry in the Expanse series by Ty Franck and Daniel Abraham (better known by their shared penname James S.A. Corey). I think it’s my favorite in the series,

The Expanse in general is pretty good. It’s well written sci-fi with a diverse cast that manages to be dark without going grimdark.

Anxiously waiting for my library to get a copy of Arkady Martine’s A Memory Called Empire. Between the very good reviews and the very good jacket art, I am real excited to dig into this book.

2 Likes

You’re welcome, hope you like it!

I stayed up until 2:30am finishing Record of a Spaceborn Few. That book was unsurprisingly fantastic, Becky Chambers continues to be just one of the best authors around atm. I still think I liked A Closed and Common Orbit more though.

Next up I’m going to read The Light Brigade

So uh…I finished The Light Brigade. That’s the fastest I’ve read a book in a long time, I highly recommend it. Read the blurb but try to go in clean other than that, but even if you get spoiled don’t worry too much. In a story about time travelling, knowing what’s going to happen isn’t the worst thing in the world.

Next up I’m getting around to reading The City In the Middle of the Night which I picked up a few weeks back.

1 Like

Finished this today! It was so wild and really good. The first scene in the recycler? Pure nightmare fuel! I don’t think I’ve read anything like it. Parts of it made me think of Ancillary Justice but for the most part it was just way off my sci fi map. So inventive, it will be spinning in my brain for a while.

1 Like

Finished this yesterday. Teixcalaanli, the galactic empire with roots in a bunch of conquer-based empires in history but most noticeably the aztecs, is an incredible and intricate creation.
It’s about a small nation trying not to be absorbed by a colonial monster, a murder mystery, an examination of identity and self in a universe where memories/personalities can be recorded and implanted, and a lot of politics and court intrigue.

I particularly liked the Imago system and how she describes how the Lsel society uses it (the memory recording technology)
Also pulled this article from google because I wanted to know more about what cultures she based the Teixcalaanli on.

1 Like

Real glad to read you enjoyed it. Still waiting for the book to turn up at the library!

1 Like