What'cha reading?

I finished reading Rosewater, a Nigerian cyberpunk novel that was fan-friggin’ tastic. I highly recommend it. It’s also the only time I’ve seen a cyberpunk story use biopunk to incorporate a first contact type story. It’s really, really good. The blurb sells the story short.

Currently reading Within the Sanctuary of Wings by Marie Brennan, maybe a third of the way in. It’s the last book of the series so I’ll be sad to say goodbye to the characters and the world.

Graduating law school in less than two weeks so I can finally start reading for pleasure for the first time in 3 years. Gonna start with On the Run by Alice Goffman.

The author embedded herself in a very disadvantaged Philadelphia neighborhood and wrote an ethnographic account of it all. Hoping it will somewhat help prepare me for my life as a public defender so I have some kind of reference point for my clients who grew up in similar situations.

Not a light read, but an essential one. Fanon’s prose crackles and his anger and conviction leap off the page; there’s a reason he’s earned his title as one of the most world’s most important post-colonial voices.

I’m about 3/4ths of the way through Seveneves and i am loving it. It starts with the moon exploding, and things do not go well. I’ve learned more about orbital mechanics in the first half of this book than ever before.

Well for one of my classes I’ve been reading excerpts of Sherman Alexie’s book The Lone Ranger and Tonto Fistfight in Heaven. Problem is, I’m the only one in the class who’s actually digging the book so I find myself going back to it every now and then. Will probably sit and read through it over the weekend.

Current graphic novel

Current novel

Current nonfiction

One of the best modern hard sci-fi IMO. Neal Stephenson can apparently write fairly well in every genre of fiction. The Diamond Age is one of my favorites.

This is such a weird book to talk about, because it’s an ongoing story, one that’s literally developing more and more and more day by day. I’ll try to keep this short though.

Originally published in Germany in 2015, the new English (released in either December 2016) edition has been updated.

If I had to describe this book to someone who literally knows nothing about, The Kurds, the PYD, YPG, YPJ, SDF, PKK, MLKP, and a series of other very important acronyms…I’d tell them that it’s a great introduction to the people who are inspiring new hope across the globe. So inspiring that they’ve drawn people to their cause. And most importantly I’d make sure they understood that it’s not a book about some long dead movement from before they were born.

I am currently reading Warbreaker by Brandon sanderson whenever I have a spare moment.

My first couple Murakami books. I just finished Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki and I loved it. Just started The Elephant Vanishes.

Any other Murakami that you guys would recommend as a must read? Or any modern surrealist fiction for that matter.

Windup Bird Chronicles is my favorite.

I am currently reading The Grace of Kings by Ken Liu. Epic Asian fantasy that I am really enjoying. I’m also reading a book on pathophysiology for grad school. Lots of fun info in that as well, but I whole hearted recommend Ken Liu over it.

Diaspora by Greg Egan, nominally. What I’m really reading is this forum because it’s updating faster than I can read and all the posts are awesome. :smile:

I do love Greg Egan, though his books tend to be pretty dense and Diaspora is particularly esoteric. I’ve been reading it for an embarrassingly long time now. It’s a sci-fi novel and delves into some incredibly abstract notions of identity (like what sexuality looks like for AI that was at one point loosely modeled on humanity but evolved for millions of generations without physical constraints) which is both fascinating and difficult for me to empathize with as a meat-based person.

I’ve been steadily working through Clive Barker’s ‘Books of Blood’, which has some really neat short stories in them, as well as Any Gun Can Play: The Essential Guide to Euro Westerns. Fantastic book analyzing my all-time favorite film subgenre, absolutely worth a look for any spaghetti western fan.

Besides that, just picked up a sci-fi action book called Necrotech. The first paragraph on the back sums it up better than I ever could hope to.

Street thug Riko has some serious issues—memories wiped, reputation tanked, girlfriend turned into a tech-fueled zombie. And the only people who can help are the mercenaries who think she screwed them over.

It’s just as glorious as it sounds.

I’m a fan of After Dark, it’s short and kind of about nothing, but it’s super atmospheric and moody.

I am a HUUUUGE Fan of “Hard Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World” which if you can stomach Murakami’s more like murakami-isms it’s a really good read.

Also second Wind-Up Bird as a rec

I could read a book about Japanese gaming! Sounds good, might pick that up.

This sounds incredible! I’m going to find it.

Oh man, that series gets bleak and stays bleak. I really enjoyed it, and if you are liking the first trilogy, I really encourage you to pick up the next part, which has the final book coming out this July.