What'cha reading?

What new canon Star Wars books would you recommend? I wanna jump into other ones as well.

2 Likes

I’ve been working my way through the novels in timeline order, so I haven’t read everything, but of the stuff I have read so far, Tarkin, Thrawn, and A New Dawn are my favs.

Tarkin and Thrawn are really great if you’re into slow, well-written character studies of scary and smart Imperials, and (more-so in the case of Thrawn) interesting bureaucratic drama. I haven’t read the other 2 Thrawn books, but I’m excited to dive into them eventually.

If you’re looking for a Star Wars-ass story with adventure and action, A New Dawn rules so much. It’s a prequel to Rebels, showing how Kanan Jarrus and Hera Syndulla meet, and it’s such a good, fun story that feels more like a Star Wars movie to me than anything else I’ve read.

2 Likes

Still reading some book exchange books, along with some trade paperbacks. The book I’m reading now, The Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley, I vaguely remember, might have read it in high school. Having trouble making headway in it, not sure exactly why, might drop it.

Just finished the Forever War by Joe Haldeman. It was really interesting, and odd. There definitely were some elements that seemed to be outdated, but given that it was written 1974 I guess that is to be expected. There were also moments where it just rushed through elements the second deployment battle was maybe a few pages long, while others had incredible detail. I wish there were more details about different things in the war, back on Earth, and about the people. But I guess those details are unimportant to Mandella’s story. I might be more interested in the world around Mandella than his own story. I would have found it more interesting if it focused on the changing and world more using Mandella as a substitute for the reader. It was a quick and easy read so I won’t complain to badly, but I guess there was just more I wanted from the book.

1 Like

I just finished Salvation Lost, the second book in Peter F Hamilton’s latest series. Man I loved these 2 books. I’ve never really read sci fi before, except the Dune novels. Anyone know if Hamilton’s other books are worth a read? Or have any recommendations of sci fi along the lines of Salvation?

I’ve not read Hamilton’s most recent stuff, but I did enjoy his first two trilogies (the Greg Mandel books, which are near-future-with-psyonics-and-genetic-engineering; and the Night’s Dawn trilogy which is… space opera with actually the (evil?) dead come back with magic powers twist quite soon in the first book in the sequence).

1 Like

I started The Scarlet Letter the other day and am shocked by how fascinating I find it. This is one of the few books in high school that I completely rejected reading; it was so dull, so absolutely boring to me at the time that I read a Cliff Notes (the one and only Cliff Notes I’ve ever purchased) to help get me through the corresponding tests and quizzes.

But now, reading the introduction again, I’m fascinated by Hawthorne’s treatment of history and the way he imagines fiction as a space between the imaginary and the material or “the real.” Or maybe I should say that’s how he imagines “romances,” which is the subtitle he gave the book. I can see now why so many people have been fascinated by it, even if the subject matter and language can be abhorrent (one suspects Hawthorne is sympathetic to Hester Prynne, but his descriptions of women are pretty gross).

Anyway, you can get it for free all over the web and I’d encourage people to give it a go if they have a inclination toward “classic” literature. If nothing else, Hawthorne’s prose is super impressive and fun to read. It only takes a few pages to pick up the cadence.

1 Like

I remember loathing Hawthorne, Melville, and Jane Austen in high school and my teacher actually apologizing to the class when we read them but also stressing that, when we are older, we should return to these authors and see just how brilliant they are. Of course, at the time I thought my teacher was full of shit, but I took a course in college on Hawthorne and Melville and was just blown away by how much more powerful The Scarlet Letter was than I remembered it was when sixteen. I haven’t made up my mind if it is to our children’s detriment or benefit that they are made to read these works when they are “younger” because I feel like it really does sour so many of them and they never return to these works at a more appropriate age.

If you want to keep exploring Hawthorne after this, I have to recommend my personal favorite The House of the Seven Gables.

2 Likes

last year, I told myself I was gonna read one book a month. I read one book in January and that’s it. So I’m trying again! mostly because I got banned from my company’s wifi for watching Netflix (during my lunch break at least!!!). so now I read instead. I am currently in the middle of The Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula K Le Guin. I’m enjoying it, but for some reason, I can only read for about 10 minutes before falling asleep. But I’m determined to finish before the end of the month. And then I’m gonna tackle The Dispossessed.

2 Likes

I finished Hero of Ages (Mistborn 3) and it suuuucked. Honestly the series gets continuously worse as far as politics and world building go. The radical politics fall by the wayside, something I was worried about from the end of book 1.

I’m currently reading The Tao of Wu by the Rza and I’m really enjoying it. It’s full of passion and voice, and I’m a big fan so far.

2 Likes

I’ve started Moby Dick recently (originally I was going to read it alongside Matt Kish’s one drawing per page project cause I really liked his illustrations for Heart of Darkness but then my local library doesn’t have the edition he used and after about 20 pages I just decided it wasn’t worth trying to stay synced up).

One of my big takeaways is that Moby Dick’s image as Great American Novel really erases how fucking weird it is? It’s got some serious experimental format choices going on: going in I was aware of “here’s 15 pages explaining what biology circa 1850 understood about whales”, but definitely not aware that a third of the way in it starts having stage directions? Literally, Chapter 36 opens “[Enter Ahab: Then, all]” Up to this point it’s 100% traditional prose narrated first person by Ishmael. And 36 is still fully in prose, but then Chapter 37 is Ahab giving a soliloquy is his cabin. He is explicitly alone in an enclosed room, there is no way for Ishmael to know this happened. Chapter 40 is formatted exactly like a play’s script. I’m talking

5TH NANTUCKET SAILOR
What’s that I saw - lightning?
SPANISH SAILOR
No; Daggoo showing his teeth.

What I’m saying is I’m obsessed with it, and I’m absolutely determined to see this thing through to the end.

8 Likes

Enjoy every minute you spend with this book! I don’t know if I’ll ever reread the full thing again but it is one of my favorites to pick up and read a random chapter of when I am in between books. It is so much more than its general reputation can ever prepare you for!

1 Like

I’ve read and loved Narrative of Arthur Gordon Pym and 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, which I feel like prime me to be into this, and again I’m finding it just delightfully weird!

1 Like

Reading Moby Dick as an adult with a biology degree and some drama experience was 100% a good time. It’s such a weird book. Nothing like what I expected.

1 Like

I’m in the middle of like three different books and y’all got me ready to drop them all and start Moby Dick now. I’ve always wanted to, and this makes it sound right up my alley.

3 Likes

I just recently finished Ancillary Justice, which is a really wonderfully written sci-fi book! Its got really good prose that reflects the AI protagonists perspective and it felt like the world it built had a bunch of thought put into it. I heard the second book is even more just really tense, complicated tea ceremonies so I’m excited to get into that.

9 Likes

Moby Dick is my next book. Awesome to see people enjoying it. I read some of it years ago and had to stop for reasons I can’t even remember. I’ve always wanted to finish it and 2020 is the year that happens. I remember a lot of it being much funnier than I expected - it takes a little while to find Melville’s rhythm, but once you get into it, it’s pretty captivating stuff. Dude had a command of English that only a few other writers I can think of have/had (Nabokov comes to mind, which is hilarious because English was his second language… that jerk! hahaaha)

6 Likes

CLR James, best known for writing the black Jacobins also wrote a book on Meveille and Moby Dick as a great novel about the modern world (in 1952).

One thing that struck re-reading it last year was Ishamel reason for going on the ship was he found working on a ship a good cure of what read to me like depression and thoughts of suicide.

Its one of a handful of books I read that seem a step out of line with most fiction I have encountered, in a way that stick with me after reading them. I am also re-reading Gene Wolfe’s Shadow of the Torturer and I get a similar feeling from that book. One thing both books have in common is they are introduced as accounts by the named characters.

2 Likes

Right now, I read materials on Instagram automation. As for the book, now I read The Minds of Billy Milligan by Daniel Keyes.
51hUp2hjolL.SX324_BO1,204,203,200

I’m currently reading a book my sister in law lent me called No Further Questions. It’s interesting as I already know there is a twist but can’t call what will happen.