What'cha reading?

For me they get better and better as they go. From about book 5 it’s just banger after banger with some superb storytelling that I felt the show finally failed to beat.

It’s pretty compulsively readable. The style is pretty “YA-ish”, I guess? That isn’t a pejorative at all, but it makes it very digestible. I finished it in about 4 days. Had a lot of fun with it, and couldn’t really help but cheer for the main characters and their romance :3

Tané, however, really got on my nerves.

I’m psyched for A Memory Called Empire and A Desolation Called Peace, as well as for Piranesi, but I’ve just come off a back-to-back devouring of Helene Wecker’s The Golem & the Jinni and its brand new sequel The Hidden Palace and I might need a breather :sweat_smile:

I had completely forgotten that I really wanted to read the first book when it came out in 2013, and it came back to my attention when news of the sequel hit. I found them both incredible. Really immersive historical fantasy about a pair of supernatural creatures meeting in 1899 New York, living in their respective immigrant communities, sharing the lives and folklore of the people around them. I was also really impressed with how thematically strong they both are: everything in those books reinforces the idea that we can only survive by trying to understand each-other and extending the hand of friendship. Beautiful stuff.

Edit: I also would like to get back into China Miéville. I adored The City & The City and Embassytown (seriously, if you like linguistics and Iain M. Banks-style SF, read Embassytown), and I’ve had Perdido Street Station waiting on my shelf for years now, but it’s intimidating…

2 Likes

I’ve been reading two books lately:

1. Queercore: How to Punk a Revolution. It’s an oral history of Queercore, a subset of punk and hardcore located primarily in LGBTQ communities, from its early days in the 70s through its most popular days in the 90s. I’ve read histories of punk music before, but this subset is rarely mentioned. So, it’s really fun to discover artists that helped shape punk but are often left out if the primary histories and hear their stories.

2. Waste Tide by Chen Quifan. This is a really good science-fiction book by a Chinese author I had never heard of. It’s a great story though that touches on class, environmentalism, traditionalism, etc. I’m enjoying it immensely.

3 Likes

This rings a bell! I’ve been meaning to get into Chinese SF, but I don’t know where to start :sweat_smile:

1 Like

The most popular one is probably The Three Body Problem by Liu Cixin, and its sequels The Dark Forest and Death’s End. I thoroughly enjoyed them, and they should be very easy to get in English.

1 Like

I recently finished the second witcher book, Sword of Destiny. Took me about a month, which is a massive improvement cause I’ve been having a hard time reading regularly through the pandemic.

Not sure if I’m gonna pick up the third one right away or go back and try to finish Mort by Terry Pratchett. I’ll be damned if Sword of Destiny didn’t grab me really forcefully though