What'cha reading?

I’m currently reading Kraken by China Mieville. It’s a really weird and funny mix of mystery story/police procedural with bizarre urban fantasy, weird cult stuff, and magical creature labor union disputes in contemporary London. I’m about a third of the way through, but I’m loving it so far.

Currently reading a few things, but really only focusing on getting these two finished.

I really liked the setting of Metro 2033 but felt like nothing really much happened in the first three quarters of the book aside from world building and faux-philosophical monologues from Artyom’s traveling companions. The world building was great, the monologues not so much.

2034 seems like it’s fixing that issue. I’m not super far into it,probably only a quarter of the way through so far, but things are actually happening. Whatever the thread with Sasha is seems interesting, Guessing she’s probably Homer’s daughter but who knows at this point, as Hunter probably isn’t old enough to have an adult daughter and Homer’s past is all still slowly being revealed. And having Homer, someone with more knowledge of the tunnels than Artyom, is a nice change.

I’ve never played either of the Metro games, but am definitely interested to see how they would have brought this world to life in them.

This is the other one. It’s not the best written book in the world by any stretch, but I like roguelikes and it’s interesting to read about what some of the founders of the genre have to say about what it was like to be developing them. A lot of the more specific computer science lingo and history is lost on me, but whatever.

Oh man a lot of sci-fi here. I’m reading Arthur C. Clarke’s 2001: A Space Odyssey. I got it because my train was delayed by a couple of hours and I managed to finish off Childhood’s End in that time so I ra down to the bookstore and immediately grabbed whatever other book by Clarke that they had. I have already watched the film but when I was 16 and barely remember it. It’s a film I often think about it even though I remember at the time thinking it was super boring. Since then I’ve watched most of Kubrick’s other films while I was at uni and really enjoyed his work so I think i’m overdue for a rewatch, maybe after i’m done with the book.

Anyway, I’m enjoying the read. Not very far into it, I was just introduced to HAL. Honestly prefer Childhood’s End so far. Once I’m done with this I think i’ll read Timequake.

i’m reading this now! i read handmaid’s tale and really liked it, and listened to the audiobook for year of the flood which i did not realize was a sequel of sorts but it worked on its own for the most part. margaret atwood writes from points of view so well, and they feel really emotionally crystal clear. good stuff.

i like this book, but to a lesser degree so far (i’m about 20% through) than her other stuff. i like the novel within the novel better than the “present day” recollection stuff (and especially i like the story within the novel in the novel, a pulpy scifi narrative). i’m sure interesting complexities and parallels and so forth will arise at some point between all the levels of the narrative nesting doll, but i’m enjoying it for now at least enough to keep reading.

as ubiquitous as they are, i tend to really like stories about storytelling.

whoa really? That book and morrowind are some of my favorite things.

(plus you know how anything you encounter between the ages of 12-14 are the best things in existence? Morrowind was that for me. Caught me right at the age where something like that was a revelatory, magical experience)

Also I am awful so I’m in the middle of a bunch of books right now

and my girlfriend wants me to read this one and I havent started it quite yet

Slab City, California, for those of you not in the know, is a squatters community made up of weirdos, desert rats, and regular ol’ poor people. I went there last year and fell in love with the idea of disappearing into the desert and living a life of FREEDOM. Unfortunately I am a domesticated chump. Since then, I occasionally type ‘slab city’ into the Amazon search and read what ever book pops up. They’re all self-published, pamphlet sized, and uh, garbage. Once everyone there has been forcibly removed by the police and the community destroyed, maybe then someone will write a decent book about it? Oh well. At least these books are free or damn close to it.

Eh, I like Barthelme, I guess. I’ve read a few things here and there, but this is my first book of his. He’s a good writer, and occasionally pretty funny. I’ve laughed out loud while reading it at least once, which sets my ‘laugh out loud while reading’ tally to like, 3 total. But I don’t know. Maybe it’s just because this is a collection of shorter odds-and-ends pieces, but his writing in this book doesn’t have much bite. In some sections, he writes about Very Important Stuff but never really lays into anything, which is kind of disappointing because clearly he was capable of it. I’ll keep reading it though, because he has some good observations and turn of phrases in there’s that I can steal and use irl.

If you’ve had time to dig into this, how are you finding it? I was assigned to read it as part of an anthropology module in my first year of university, so I’m always interested in views of books I’ve read from outside that discipline.

As for me, as I type, I’m getting ready to dig into Andrei Lankov’s The Real North Korea. Let’s see how this goes!

Not even halfway through it yet, but loving it so far. The “characters” in the book really draw me in and there’s a real sense of an understanding of the culture coming from the writing. What Goffman did is really unlike what any other researchers have done, so it’s very cool to read.

Bumping this thread 'cause I wanna see what y’all are reading.

I had huge goals this summer of reading some of the books I’ve neglected during school. Sadly, I haven’t really gotten very far into my list. :expressionless:

Currently reading:

I’m a huge Civil War nerd so this book has been on my radar for quite some time. Such an interesting read about one of the bigger generals of the Confederacy. Highly suggest this for any other Civil War/History nerds out there.

This has been a productive summer for me. I’ve finished Laxness’ Independent Men, Atwood’s The Heart Goes Last, Munro’s Dear Life, the cyberpunk anthology for the cyberpunk book club and Romeo and Juliet (Oxford Shakespeare). I also read Camus’ The Fall for a second time.

Currently I’m reading a collection of short stories by Samuel Beckett, A New History of Western Philosophy by Anthony Kenny and a couple of poetry books by Swedo-Finnish poets Ulrika Nielsen and Heidi von Wright.

I don’t know if I’ll stick with the Beckett collection. I’ve only read one story so far and it didn’t grab me, but he’s the first non-Camus absurdist I’ve read so I’m willing to give him some time. Kenny’s A New History is starting to get exciting now that I see some names that I actually recognize, like, Kant, Hegel, Locke etc. But mostly I’m just glad to be done with the Middle Ages. If I have to read another poorly thought through “proof” of God’s existence I’m gonna scream.

I can only really read one thing at a time or I lose track of whats going on in everything, so for this summer Ive finally started reading Asimov’s Foundation, which I’ve come to understand is a pretty glaring hole in my science fiction knowledge.

I’m 2/3rds of the way though and liking it quite a bit so far, but boy. That’s some old-ass sci fi, huh.

I also had big dreams for my summer reading that have come to a crawl because, well, things.

I finished Sarah Schulman’s Gentrification of the Mind in like, 3 days. I enjoyed it, but it didn’t move as much as a needle as it maybe could’ve - I’m already politically exhausted.

I picked up the fourth book in Mary Robinette Kowal’s Glamourist Histories, Valor and Vanity, but I’m only on chapter 5 and finding it a bit too floaty for my liking. I might just have to come back to it another time.

I’m one of those people who likes to read multiple books at once and right now I am reading:

Break the Chains by Richie Venton
The Anti-Fascist Handbook by Mark Bray
The Boys of Summer by Richard Cox
The Knight of Swords by Michael Moorcock.
The Winds of Khalakovo by Bradley P. Beaulieu

My major reading task over the summer was reading Richard J Evans’ Third Reich trilogy (The Coming of the Third Reich, The Third Reich in Power, 1933-1939, and The Third Reich at War), which I’ve definitely found to be engaging and an interesting read. I found the first one to be more illuminating than the other two, owing to its tighter focus on Germany and the growing narrative focus of the subsequent books. Evans’ experience and strength of writing about prewar Germany absolutely strengthens Coming over its sequels, but I do think all of them are interesting reads and worth picking up.

There’s absolutely elements of it that deserve full discussion today, but that’s a topic far beyond the remit of this thread and what I’d feel comfortable guiding in a conversation.

Currently reading Sense & Nonsense About Crime, Drugs, and Communities 8th ed for school. It’s kind of a contemporary meta-analysis of what works and doesn’t similar to the old Martinson study that politicians use to decry every attempt at criminal justice reform as not worth it. This book comes to some different conclusions.

I haven’t finished it yet but I’m waiting to see if the author says anything about restructuring socioeconomics as a way of altering criminal justice policy. So far no.

Currently reading Blood, Sweat, and Pixels by Jason Schreier. Great book that delves into the development of recent games like Uncharted 4 and Stardew Valley, and how painful it can be. It also goes into how crunch usually happens in game development, voluntary or not, and how mentally affecting it is.

Over the past year or so I’ve been trying to knock out things that I just never got around to but should:

Guns, Germs, and Steel
The Count of Monte Cristo
Time of Contempt

Currently reading Dreadnought by April Daniels. The world’s greatest superhero is murdered and his powers are inherited by the nearest person, a 15 year old trans girl. Not too far in yet but it’s pretty good so far.

I’m about halfway through Haruki Murakami’s Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World (which I quickly realized was where Austin got his Steam/Twitch username). It follows parallel storylines about a pair of unnamed characters that both deal with themes like consciousness, memory, and the nature of the mind. First Murakami novel I’ve attempted and I’m really enjoying it.

Also about halfway through Jeff VanderMeer’s Annihilation. It’s a sort of gothic/sci-fi/horror novel (with some lit fic thrown in) about a patch of wilderness in Florida that drives anyone who enters it to some form of madness. It does tension and suspense extremely well, and it’s almost overwhelmingly immersive in its atmosphere and imagery. (Also pretty short if you’re looking for less of a commitment.)

I’d like to read annihilation before the film comes out next year but my TBR pile is enormous >:(