What'cha reading?

I never properly read Lovecraft, some I’m righting this wrong by diving into this ^^

I bought the Necronomicon or some sort of Lovecraft story compilation audiobook during the brief period I was subscribed to Audible. I heard it was some difficult literature to consume but maybe it will be easier to understand if it’s spoken. It worked for Dune! But I haven’t started listening yet.

I find that Lovecraft often reads more like a fictitious study book than an actual story. There’s little to no dialogue and no fully developed characters. But it’s fascinating to dip into this disturbing and imaginative world he created :slight_smile:

I finally sat down and started reading volume 4 of Mark Z Danielewski’s The Familiar, and I have been immediately sucked in. I have been a sucker for Danielewski’s weird-ass print layouts and use of color and font as a means of adding to a narrative, and this continues the whole thing - I am getting more and more into what looks like the overarching thread, and I love the way Danielewski effortlessly shifts character voices from chapter to chapter.

My favorite thing from any Lovecraft is when one character tells another that he will “endeavor to lampoon” him with “an impromptu verse.” Like woah a rap battle? Alright lets see it.

I started Peter Benchley’s Jaws yesterday, and am only about 45 pages into it. So far, it’s really good. I’d forgotten it was a book prior to being turned into a film, and was reminded when I read that it’s Corey Taylor’s favourite book. I think it was in his first book.

I have several others out from the library, and one purchased that I’m reading or plan to:

Sleeping Beauties by Stephen and Owen King - It’s seven hundred pages long and I’m only about 100 into it. The thing is due back on the 25th, and I’ve just been too busy to really devote much time to reading it. So I guess I’ll have to return it then wait for the other 11 people who have holds on it to read it and return it and then pick it back up. I don’t feel like paying $25+ for the book when I’ll only read it once. (It’s 40% off at Walmart, and is normally $40 new).

Nightmares & Dreamscapes by Stephen King - This summer was filled with an obsession for Stephen King’s short stories, for me, and this is one of the last ones I have to read. I’d say I’m about 65-70% through it, and have been reading it slowly. I read Bazaar of Bad Dreams, Just After Midnight, and Everything’s Eventual before. The latter was my favourite.

It by Stephen King - Got a copy of this given to me for free by a nice lady on Craigslist, but I kept seeing the new version (which has larger text and a nicer cover) and decided to buy it. I’m only about 70 pages in.

Corey Taylor’s first book

The last book I finished was Juggalo by Steve Miller, which was very informative but could’ve been structured better. It was interesting to dive into how the group was classified as a gang like the Crips and Bloods by a 2011 FBI report, which means that people would get pulled over for wearing such clothing or having stickers on their car and get searched for no good reason. Or get stiffer penalties for small misdemeanours for being a ‘gang member.’ As someone who used to listen to the band, and has friends who still do, it’s absurd to think about. Sure, there are some stupid people in the group who do bad things, but as a whole the group is far from a gang. People are nice to each other and others, and that is actually preached by what is the most hated band in the world, yet one that does food drives and pro bono concerts.

Currently working my way through wool by Hugh Howey. It’s quite good, a lot of twists and turns. Curious where it’s all going.

Currently reading The Ascent of Money by Niall Ferguson. I’m really quite ignorant about capitalism and how finance works and I think understanding the system is key to being able to form my own critique of it rather than parroting other people’s takes online.

Wool is a good one. The two sequels aren’t bad, either.

I’m having a heck of a time trying to find something to read. Just finished Sleeping Beauties by Stephen & Owen King, and that was a really great read. Now, I’m just at a loss. I don’t know who or what I’m in the mood to read. Tried to re-read ‘IT’, but reading old Stephen King is a chore. He’s gotten much more concise and he’s much more able to manage a large cast of characters in his old age. Maybe I’ll re-read ‘American Gods’ by Neil Gaiman in the hopes that it’ll hit the streaming services soon.

I’ve got a stack of Wicked and the Divine comics to work through, from around 23 (or whenever the second big story arc ended) to the current issue.

The first two books of the Trilogy are on Kindle Unlimited, and after someone recommended it to me I figured I’d check it out. I’m really enjoying it so far, it’s a neat concept for the future of apps and personal technology, for good and for bad. Good characters and action is keeping me turning the pages.

The Amazon blurb: "In the near future, the experimental nano-drug Nexus can link humans together, mind to mind. There are some who want to improve it. There are some who want to eradicate it. And there are others who just want to exploit it.

When a young scientist is caught improving Nexus, he’s thrust over his head into a world of danger and international espionage - for there is far more at stake than anyone realizes.

From the halls of academe to the halls of power; from the headquarters of an elite agency in Washington DC to a secret lab beneath Shanghai; from the underground parties of San Francisco to the illegal biotech markets of Bangkok; from an international neuroscience conference to a remote monastery in the mountains of Thailand - Nexus is a thrill ride through a future on the brink of explosion."

That sounds interesting. Gonna look up some reviews

Children of Time by Adrian Tchaikovsky
Fun, well written sci fi with a unique premise. Reminds me of Issac Asimov in the Foundation years (not in story, but overall tone and quality of writing). Someone on BookGaf reccomended it last month.

The first sc-Fi short story megapack!

I got this because I had read the Harry Harrison megapack last year and it was fantastic full of great classic sci-Fi stories. This megapack though has been a real let down. A couple of the stories were quite good but literally 30% of it was a two part story that was just awful. Bloated, boring with a writing style that jumps around and seems intentionally vague.

Fevre Dream. A vampire novel set in the Deep South in the 1800’s featuring riverboat action. Oh, and it’s written by George R R Martin. It’s pretty good. Before that I read Lovecraft Country, which was pretty good too.

I’m reading Devil In The White City by Erik Larson.

It’s taken forever to get through the dry history, but WOW there’s a lot of fascinating stories about the world’s fair and Chicago. I know this is one of those “High School” reads, but I’ve never read it, and it’s captivating once you get a bit into it.

Recently finished Count Zero by William Gibson. Overall good book, didn’t like the main character at all though, he embodied the worst parts of action type heroes, and always got away with it. The book also was both very progressive (older female character with a same sex relationship and so on), and also extremely regressive at times with it’s African American characters, veering into jive-stereotype areas.
Was a real hassle getting started as well, enough so that I had stopped reading it for a few months after reading about 10 pages.

Also recently finished The Gunslinger by Stephen King, before watching the movie, and this book I didn’t like overall, or the characters. It really shows that this book was written early in King’s career, as the prose does not flow at all, and the Gunslinger feels very much like a self insert that would happen by a young adult writer. A very “average” person, but who still somehow comes out on top cause they are still better than everyone else. Safe to say, I won’t be reading the rest of the books after this one.

I just started The Hedge Knight by GRRM. And wow does the prose flow in this In contrast to the two other books I just read. You literally flow through the pages. Only about 70 pages in, and I’m liking it. Gives me a few chuckles every now and then, and I’m curious where the story will go.

Do any of you weirdos like William Gibson?

A couple of months ago my brother found The Dune Trilogy for, like, 4 euros and gifted it to me, i’ve been making my way through it since. Still reading Dune though… the text is fairly dense and the writing brings this richness to even the littlest of events so that i feel constantly trying to consider all these things. Other than being a trying read at times, with some lengthy shifts in momentum, i am really absolutely loving the book and how it explores its themes. The main character in particular is a pleasure to accompany, he’s a really strong mixture of young and adult and individual and icon all at the same time that it’s really fun to see him change and be pulled in all kinds of directions, often with poignant insights about what’s happening around him.

I own and have read The Gunslinger once, and ended up feeling pretty much the same. It never hooked me or stuck with me, and was kind of hard to understand or follow.

Currently getting through The Loneliest Girl In The Universe.

It’s okay. I really like the setting but the story itself isn’t super endearing. Setup is humanity has sent their first colony ship to a planet orbiting a nearby star to colonise it and create “Earth II.” A husband and wife are sent, along with a crew of astronauts. The husband and wife have a child, the astronauts all die, the husband and wife die and the girl is left alone on a space ship hurtling away from Earth to colonise a planet on her own. Her only communication with other people being the emails she receives from a NASA contracted therapist which take 6 months to reach her ship. Then NASA launch a second ship, with newer tech (it has been almost two decades since hers launched after all) which is faster and plans for them to meet and then continue on together. The only person on that ship is a young man around her age, because of course it is.

This all happens super early on, so i’m somewhat interested in seeing where the story goes but it seems pretty predictable so far? It is a YA novel tbf.