What's a game you continue to play because of user created mods?

I have been playing entirely too much Cities: Skylines recently. I think that I have logged close to a hundred hours within the last couple months after not playing it for more than a year. Because of that time gap, I forgot how many mods that I had installed and so disable them to remind myself of the base game. This only led me to realize how bare the game is without the dlc, but especially without mods. I honestly don’t think I would have put nearly as much time into the game without them.

So what about you? Are there any games that you play because of the mods made for it?

Although I haven’t played in about a month, I’d have to say Cities: Skylines as well. Discovering one of the popular road mods and underground powerlines changed my entire view of that game.

I played a good chunk of The Sims 3 because the mod scene for it is pretty significant, almost to the point where I can’t recommend playing The Sims without it. Sooooooo many hairstyles, clothes and buildings.

It’s still a dark age for PC baseball games but MLB 2K12 was almost good because there was a dedicated community to fixing that game’s problems that 2K never bothered with as well as a load of other visual additions.

Battlefield 2 had some pretty significant full mod conversions from Forgotten Hope to Alpha Mod that made me play a bit more of it.

XCOM 2, I beat the original campaign at about the 40 hour mark I want to say? I now have 218…

In particular Long War 2 basically redesigns a large portion of the game making it much more complex and harder. I also personally really like the tactical suppressors mod which makes silenced missions actually possible and taking out an entire pod of enemies without blowing your cover just feels sooooooo good.

Plus there’s a ton of cosmetic mods so I can dress my soldiers up properly before they get rolled by mutons during a liberation mission :upside_down_face:

Dark Souls, technically. I don’t think I’d have touched that game without DSFix, but even if I did, I certainly wouldn’t be coming back to it.

Game Dev Tycoon.

The release of new genres and game styles to research, plus base improvements like skipping animations, makes it really addictive, more so than it already was.

Left for Dead 2 is a staple for my group because of how many mod campaigns are available. We don’t go back as often anymore, but we come back every few months or so to try a new map or some of the old favorite mod maps!

Mentioned a lot of this in the Sonic thread not too long ago, but I’m very into Sonic Generations modding right now, mainly for the ports of old Sonic levels into it. Specifically I’m quite facinated by the Sonic Generations 06 project right now. Turns out Sonic 06 actually has some great level design that gets a chance to shine when the game itself doesn’t play like garbage. And the ways it either recreates or circumvents old gimmicks like character switches are super interesting. The project’s gotten as far as Kingdom Valley and there’s a demo up to Radical Train over on it’s ModDB page. Here’s a video of the first stage with the lighting properly set up from earlier this year:

The Doom community are absolute modding monsters. On top of the dozens and dozens of full-length level sets that play better than the originals, you’ve got complete gameplay overhauls like High Noon Drifter:

And total conversions like The Adventures of Square:

Or the upcoming The Golden Souls 2:

I have tried to use mods in Bethesda games like Skyrim, but I feel like most mods that make major changes to the game don’t end up working that well. The only mod that I kept on for the entire game was the restored content mod for Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords, which basically finishes content that was left unfinished in the PC version of KOTOR 2 I think.

For a long time it was the first Age of Empires. The quantity and quality of those user-made campaigns are extraordinary although it’s been a long time since I played it.

Nowadays, it’s Doom. In fact, for me “playing Doom” is playing user-created megaWADs and user-created weapon mods. It’s been a long time since I touched the original campaigns or the vanilla weaponset. It’s gotten to a point where I have a word document with a list of all the Doom WADs I’ve played and my experience with them because otherwise I won’t remember.

The Divide et Impera overhaul for TW: Rome 2 makes that game my favourite of the series. The TW games are never going to have a ton of depth for things such as diplomacy or intra-faction politics, but DeI does try to implement cool systems for things like supplies and population that run in the background and which you need to pay attention to. But the biggest thing for me is that it makes commanding the battles in real time feel amazing. Battles become a lot about managing your troops’ morale and wearing down the enemy’s. Maneuvering to flank becomes the name of the game, hitting them with decisive charges as they tire and taking that opportunity to flip the script of the battle. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve come up against larger enemy forces with low odds but ended up with a “damn, I can’t believe I just pulled that shit off” sort of feeling. Sure, the AI is never going to be amazing, so I’m not claiming I’m some amazing tactician or anything. But it feels satisfying to me, and that’s the most important part.

There was a few total conversion mods for rome total war including one made by people who consulted on the game who wanted to make the factions more historically accurate called Europa barbarorum.

The mod expands the map, changes/add factions and the units available. The map expanded to the Indus valley and included the Bactrian faction based in modern day Afghanistan. They made for a very unique faction in terms armies you would face - Greek/Perisan units of the Secluid empire, archer and elephant heavy armies of the Indus and the horse archer heavy armies of the steppe. After taking over the Indian and steppe provinces you could recruit those units.

When you took over a province you had multiple options as to how to govern it - focus on maxamising revenue, slowly changing it to be able to recruit your factions units or focusing on recruiting province specific units but with fewer options to generate revenue.

Another big change is that Rome is now a single faction and you can only recruit Roman units in certain Italian provinces at the start. This meant that as I expanded into Spain and Gaul I had to recruit local units just like the Romans did.

I wouldn’t necessarily say mods are the reason to keep me playing this game, but they are a big part of it.

I’m talking about Assetto Corsa.

Friend of mine made a list with just tracks you can download for the PC version including creator credit and download links. I’m not gonna link to the list as it’s multiple posts long, because…
the list consists of 848 tracks! [message me for the links]

That’s only tracks, there are over 2000 cars (85% have unworthy physics imo though) and hundreds of apps for the in-game app-integration.
Another little fact that always gets me is that most people interested in AC mods are using a main launcher GUI for the game that was also made by modders, it’s superior in every conceivable way over the official menu system.

OK I gotta look into this menu system because the official html based menu system it whatever is really horrid.

that aside I think AC is a good candidate for modding since I don’t think there’s anything worthwhile at all in the campaign so I mostly enjoy it as something to drive around in for extended distances