What's the best form for the Service Weapon? What's the worst?

I’ve been playing Control again, from the beginning (MAJOR SPOILER: The game’s still COOL AS FUCK!!!) because, hey, the whole game’s out now!

I was curious, what is everyone’s favorite form for the Service Weapon?

• Grip
  • Shatter
  • Spin
  • Pierce
  • Charge
  • Surge (AWE DLC)

0 voters

I haven’t played the AWE add-on, so I can’t comment on how good or bad the Surge form is, but I doubt I’ll like it more than Pierce. For me, there’s nothing more satisfying than that rhythm of build-up, followed by an extremely loud BANG. There’s a real sense of finality to each kill. Like, one second, a Hiss trooper is there, and then a second later, they ain’t.

And what’s everyone’s least favorite?

• Grip
  • Shatter
  • Spin
  • Pierce
  • Charge
  • Surge

0 voters

When I first formulated this thread, I thought my answer would be Charge. The damage is inconsistent, it’s difficult to aim correctly and I find that I’m likely to accidentally kill myself while using it. That being said, it’s still a lot of chaotic fun.

No, the form I most dislike is probably Shatter. For me, it doesn’t do enough close-up damage to justify the lack of accuracy and the ammo count is too damn low. I’d always rather just melee if an enemy gets within effective range. It’s disappointing.

What are your thoughts?

PS: Has anyone ever written an essay on Control and what makes a video game gun “feel good?” I feel like there’s a lot of fertile ground there because the forms of the SW are meant to represent the basic concept of certain guns. It’s an interesting idea, at least.

1 Like

As someone who doesn’t care for the combat in Control, I don’t really like any of the forms. However, I mainly rely on Grip and Pierce when I’m not chasing weapon-specific accomplishments.

I would like Charge more if it wasn’t so easy to kill yourself with it.

1 Like

Grip is the best. Probably the best-feeling semi-automatic pistol I’ve used in any game.

Shatter was my least favourite early on, but after finding some upgrade mods and picking up the Shield Rush power from Foundation, I find it has some uses for certain melee enemies, particularly the Hiss Distorted.

Spin is the one that I just never found a good use for. I think it’s intentionally provided as a generalist side-grade from Grip, whereas everything else has a some kind of specific niche.

3 Likes

Yeah, Spin doesn’t have a ton of utility, but that sound it makes is pretty friggin cool

1 Like

I remember quite liking Pierce, as I tend to like powerful, slow-shooting, sniper-ish weapons in shooters. My other slot varied between Shatter and Spin — which for whatever reason felt better to me as a complementary option than Grip.

Never really used Charge. I remember it unlocking pretty late too.

I unlocked Charge pretty much as soon I entered the Panopticon, but that’s probably because I haven’t bought many upgrades. The game hands out so many over the course of play that I had an overabundance of resources, I guess.

1 Like

When I initially played it, pretty sure I use grip and pierce for the most part, but when I came back to play the DLC I ended up using Spin and Charge almost exclusively. not exactly sure why, but I remember getting a perk or whatever that increased the fire rate of Spin by like 500% or something ridiculous, which was very fun.

I didn’t use Shatter very much on my first playthrough, but on my second and most recent playthrough, upgrading it and slotting in some good mods like adding pellets, reducing spread, and increasing rate-of-fire kinda makes it a beast even in mid-range!

I wish Spin were more effective because it is pretty fun to use and I love the way it sounds, especially when you slap on increased rate-of-fire mods. You just run out of bullets so fast, even with mods that increase ammo count.

I did end up voting for Charge as the worst weapon because I feel like it should be way more powerful than it is. Even with direct hits it doesn’t do as much damage as I would hope. You want to use it from range because of course it always feels like you take more damage from its explosion, but its default projectile speed is so slow too. For a weapon that is supposed to be a grenade/rocket launcher equivalent, it lacks the raw firepower and room-clearing ability that that class of weapon should have.

Pierce is indeed the best weapon for all the reason’s OP mentioned. It’s just visually, aurally, and functionally powerful.

2 Likes

I think that in the AWE dlc I found a mod that increased the projectile speed of Charge by like a 1000%, which is probably why I ended up using it a lot.

1 Like

Oh yes that is THE good shit. levitating around a room just dropping bombs everywhere was my idea of a good time.

Hell yeah! The best part of that weapon is the visual bonanza it turns each encounter into, so that sounds awesome

Yeah, having a fully ‘charged’ Charge shot just basically teleport across the room was honestly amazing. especially since it locked onto its target

2 Likes

Seems like folks’ preferences will depend heavily on which mods they acquire. I, for one, haven’t yet found this Charge-speed mod.

I only ever used the handgun and the shotgun. The game’s weapon selection is pretty stupid on PS4 since you can only have two guns out at any time. I didn’t feel like going into the menu to switch up weapons mid-battle. Nor did I ever really need to. Plus, you have to upgrade your weapons, so naturally I wasn’t going to waste resources on anything other than the two guns I was using.

I tried the machine gun once and it did nothing for me. The charge-up gun sucked ass to use and was too slow.

Even if you don’t have the mod, you can also catch your own Charge projectiles with Launch. AFAIK, they do extra damage when you do this on top of being way faster and locking on to enemies.

The thing I really enjoy about Charge is the way that it has two damage instances. It explodes and then implodes. Is that tactically useful? No. But it’s cool as shit.

Max damage launch plus pierce made basically every enemy die in one hit, which turned the combat into a threat prioritization puzzle. Not having to hit enemies multiple times meant there was a lot better flow, and pierce complemented launch the best. Launch, launch, launch, launch, out of energy, pierce, launch, pierce. And so on.

I basically didn’t use any other power or weapon the rest of the game. Which is I guess a failure of its combat design. But I had fun so whatever.

3 Likes

My golden “meta” (man, I hate that word) is Spin with mods for rate of fire and damage (Or was it damage and magazine? RoF and magazine? Whatever, it chewed through everything.) combined with a mod for the shield that sped up ammo regeneration when I had it up.

That technique got me through the whole Jukebox DLC, it was damn fun, and a good optimization of the game’s movement designs to be scrambling around a room hip firing at everything and only stopping to throw up a shield till I could get back to the barrage!

I am currently playing through Control for the first time, and only midway through (so I’m avoiding voting on the poll, I haven’t played with Charge or Surge yet).

For me, Spin is my biggest go-to. I’m pretty bad with aiming single snapshots, so having an automatic fire mode is huge.

While I really appreciate its utility and damage, I strongly dislike Pierce’s charge-up delay. I’ll use it to open an engagement, but after that I generally can’t use it during the firefight.

Same, this is probably the weapon’s biggest weakness.