What's the best use of the end of a loaf of bread?

Everything I buy a loaf of sliced bread and get through it, I inevitably get to the last two slices, both of which are mostly crust that I usually end up throwing away. I know it’s wasteful, but I can almost never convince myself to eat them unless I’m actually out of bread. Luckily I can compost them, but I’d still like to deal with them another way.

Do you have any uses for these starchy bugbears? What are your solutions? Any recipes?

1 Like

Croutons. Always croutons.

4 Likes

I usually keep some floating around in case I need crumbs. Ultimately I usually end up throwing them away or throwing them out for the monkeys.

Bread crumbs. Bird food. Croutons. Stuffing, in theory (you’d need to freeze a bunch of bread ends).

I just eat them, they are fine

2 Likes

I just eat em. Am I being annoying? It’s bread! If it’s getting a little stale toast 'em.

If I get near the end of the loaf I’ll use them one at a time in sandwiches.

1 Like

Toast ‘em, cheese ‘em, eat ‘em in a soup.

7 Likes

Usually I toss them, not because of taste but because they’re so thin as to be useless. If I happen to time it right I’ll use them in lieu of bread crumbs in meatballs or meatloaf.

I like the crusty ends, so I just toast them and make a sandwich. A thing I did a lot in University was to slice some tomatoes, put some cheap cheese on top, and stick the whole thing in the terrible toaster oven I shared with my roomates. Instant budget pizza.

1 Like

They’re a perfect vessel for holding a ton of baked beans.

1 Like

We always kept a bag of them to feed the ducks at the local park.

1 Like

I tend to just eat them, but I do have an odd sensory issue with them - if I make a sandwich or something, I use the ‘crust’ side of the slice as the interior side so that I am touching normal bread while eating it.

2 Likes

I’ve heard of chefs doing something similar with their toasted sandwiches: they only toast one side and put the toasted side on the inside so you still get the toast crunch but you also don’t sandpaper the roof of your mouth.

1 Like

I think the bread ends do well with relatively plain peanut butter sandwiches. The peanut butter helps to turn everything into a uniform chew toy once you bite into it, lessening the sensory impact of the crusty ends.

1 Like

i havent made it myself, but japanese rusk seems like a nice snack. its basically the sweet version of croutons.

1 Like

They’re the best bit of the loaf, so I usually just eat 'em.

2 Likes

The “end of a loaf” had me picturing the last few inches of a whole uncut loaf, not the end slices of a sliced loaf, and it dredged up an old conversation from my student days.

When I was an exchange student in Tokyo I had both very little money and limited access to a supermarket (there was a 24h convenience store nearby but it didn’t sell many “ingredients”). Hungry and with a nearly empty cupboard, I asked a few peers what they suggested making with what little I had. An American suggested hollowing out the remaining chunk of a loaf of bread, breaking an egg into it, microwaving it (!), and, I quote, “Bam! It’s a pie.”

I think I probably ate ramen.

Anyway, yeah, I’m on team “eat the crusty slices”.