What's the worst thing that's ever happened to you in a GameStop?

not gamestop, but a couple years ago my gf and i were buying a used n64 from this retro game store in chicago. we walked up to the counter with it and the dude just stared blankly at us so we told him we wanted to buy it and he looked super skeptical and was like “ummm you know you need games for this right?”

so obviously bc we’re two girls we had to convince this guy that we knew what videogames were before he’d let us buy a console we both grew up playing :roll_eyes:

I watched a clerk talk a kid’s mom out of buying GTA5 for him… right in front of the kid. It was awful. He looked to be maybe 12-13. Granted, it’s an M-rated game, yadda yadda yadda, but you know that kid only wanted it so he could play GTA Online with his friends. The clerk took it upon himself to tell the mom in detail about the graphic violence of the single player campaign (forced torture sequence, etc.), and she decided not to get it for him, after they had gone to the store specifically for that game.

I support the ratings system and not selling mature games to kids without their parent/guardian present, but that really rubbed me the wrong way.

I used to work at GameStop when I was younger (original XBox/PS2/Gamecube era). Two things come to mind immediately.

I was working early one Sunday morning, when a kid came in who was there pretty regularly. He was about 12; he wanted to trade in his PS2 slim console and a few games for a Nintendo DS. Makes sense. So, I started doing the trade while he got his mom from the car. She signed off on everything, and the kid left happy. About an hour later, someone came in browsing and asked if we had any slim PS2s. I told him we had gotten one traded in earlier that morning. He bought it and went on his way.

Then, around noon, the kid came back. Only this time, he was with his dad. He wanted to get the PS2 back because his son hand’t asked permission to trade it in (despite the mother being there to authorize everything… hm. Someone didn’t know how to communicate). He clearly hadn’t given his son a moment to talk, and the kid just looked miserable. I calmly explained that it wouldn’t be possible, as I had already sold the console that had been traded in.

Dad. Went. Off.

I was legitimately concerned he was going to come over the counter at me. I’m a fairly large dude, but I don’t think he cared at that point. Once he finished his tirade, I explained that his son had come in with his mother, and that she had authorized everything. Showed him the signatures and all. He didn’t say anything more, but i felt so bad for that kid. Having been dragged all the way back to the store just to see his dad scream at someone. If he yelled like that at a stranger, I can’t imagine what happened when they went home. It was really just a bummer of a day.

The next one is a little gross, but significantly less depressing, I promise.

[HEADS UP: If you don’t like bugs, stop reading]

Summary

By far the worst thing that ever happened was when I had to do a return on a cockroach infested XBox.

I knew something was off when a woman, about 45ish, came into the store carrying a paper bag that appeared to be stuffed with a plastic garbage bag. She came up to the counter, put the bag down, way off to the side of the register, and got in line. Strange, I thought. Maybe she just doesn’t want to hold it the whole time.

How wrong I was.

When she got to the front of the line, she explained that she was the mother of a GameStop employee at a nearby store. She said her son (the employee) had bought an original XBox from our store the previous day. I remembered it clearly, because this was right around when Halo 2 was out, and the XBox was tough to get. We had been the only store with one for several miles around. He asked us to put it aside for him. I mentioned to him that it looked kind of rough; not that it was damaged or anything, it worked fine when we tested it, but that it was fairly dirty. This didn’t deter him, though–he was hellbent on playing Halo 2 online. So, it was put aside, and he came in about an hour after calling. He bought the system and a couple of games, including Halo 2, of course.

That night, he took it home, turned it on, and played Halo 2 online for a number of hours. After calling it a night, he turned off the console. As the heat an noise dissipated from the console, dozens of cockroaches scattered from it. They got everywhere.

The woman returning it was incredibly polite, given the circumstances. I ended up calling our district manager and getting her pest control paid for, a brand new XBox in exchange for the infested one, and some crazy amount in gift cards. I got the unfortunate job of packing up the system to be sent off for refurbishing. Yes, refurbishing, not destruction.

I went in to trade L.A. Noire and commented that I got through the first act and thought it was pretty bad. Both people working tried to convince me to keep the game and keep playing it and I insisted that I was trading it in and that I thought it was hot garbage.

Another time I went in just to look around and the guy at the cash register asked me if I was looking for anything. I said no and he said something like “Titanfall is pretty hot right now.” And I was like “I don’t really do multiplayer.” And he said, “well, you should give it a shot.” I shrugged and went on to another area and the guy cleaning up the shelves asked me if I was looking for anything, I said “no.” He replied, “Mass Effect 2 is a great game.” Okaaaay. I wasn’t asking for recommendations and just ignored him. I wonder if their manager just told them to start recommending games more but it was the most socially awkward way I’ve ever had people try to push a product onto me. No setup, no real small talk, no asking me what kind of games I play, just “hey, this game is great!”

When I visited the UK I went to a GAME with the friend I was staying with, I saw they had the toon Link amiibo, and I wanted to get it (Wind Waker was at the time one of the few Nintendo (and Zelda) titles I had grown fond of) and the guy behind the counter, like he was showing me the goods under a dirty trench coat, offered me a Rosalina amiibo.

I believe he thought I was globe-trotting and hunting for rare amiibos (since WW Link was apparently rare in the US). It was more funny than worst, but it’s the only thing I can think of.
Besides seeing a Funko Pop figure in there.

Employees have quotas and are encouraged to make sales, so it may be that he cared more about his job security than in doing the right thing? Which is always a difficult predicament to be in. Or maybe he legitimately thought the swearing wasn’t bad? I can’t know either way, I guess.

Still, it’s a weird hang up with a game featuring as much gore as it does. I’ve noticed that with parents of sons, heavily violent content is treated as just normal and OK for boys. But swearing is in poor taste.

Holy hell, that’s awful. There’s so much to unpack about this guy, not the least of which is his misogynistic enthusiasm for having a woman slave. I’m glad you’re not an employee there anymore.

Trying to check out the cheap game bins while a guy paced nearby, vaping without even trying to hide it, while on the phone fighting with his significant other was one of the worst experiences of my life. It just so happened to take place in a GameStop.

Reserved Final Fantasy XI at GameStop, was in junior high, my first time trying out an MMO. Mom took me to the mall and when I got home to install the game hung in installation. After a few calls to Square support they told me there was some discs in the first shipment that didn’t work and I should return it to GameStop.

Got my mom to take me back and they told me they were out but looked up another store that I could go to. Mom took me to that other GameStop and they gave me a box that was all beat up but I didn’t think much of it. Got home and hey, it installed! Then I put in my key and was told it was invalid. Called Square support again, and they told me the code was already used and they gave me a used copy of the game.

I called GameStop and explained that they had given me a used game. They said they could give me a different copy. I don’t recall if we went to the second location again or another third GameStop. And I don’t remember if we did it again the same day or if it was the next day. Either way my mom is a saint, Square is very frustrating, and GameStop should know better than to sell a used copy of an MMO.

Gamestop employees have been pretty nice to me despite having to do the whole gamestop member, pre-order, buy used routine.

-Customers on the other hand had been mixed. I got a guy pre-ordering destiny 2 for the figure and constantly tell the cashier to give it to him.

-Annoying kids begging their parents on a M-rated game they want.

-When I was picking up my pre-order of Perosna 5 the dude in front of me was like"Fuck your JRPG, get a real man game like Call of Duty" -_-.

I am going to go to bat for GameStop’s employees here.

The thing that needs to be understood is that all retail is pretty garbage in 2017. It is a day and age where payroll is being cut down to levels never before seen, performance being measured via complicated matrices that do not things like sales into consideration, and low skill effort to match the low wages.

It is also very easy to remember, and signal boost, the bad experiences someone has at the store. The expectation that someone has when they walk into the store is they get the product they want, at the price they presume it is, and leave without any problems. Unfortunately, GameStop, as a company, is set up to ask the customer a series of questions to try to generate more business on top of the item being bought. How many places do you shop ask if you want to sign up for a rewards or credit card?

A lot of people that work for GameStop do so because they love gaming, and would like to be part of the industry in some manner. Can’t code, write music, or draw? Well I guess I can always sell the games! GameStop knows this, and they prey on these types of people. They pay them very little, but tempt them with the idea that GameStop employees are “in the know” more than any other retail person. They get to dress casual, and wear shirts with characters on them, in stores that are full of signage and posters about games, and shelves full of merchandise.

Retail is one of the industries that has mastered the art of making added work feel like a reward. These people are being taken advantage of by a company that using the love of a hobby to fill a workforce.

Retail jobs are some of the hardest to work. I actually believe that everyone should be forced to work a retail job for a minimum of one year before pursuing any other career. It would potentially give a lot of people some needed perspective.

I didn’t make this thread to demonize GameStop employees, promise. I think you’re exactly right; it’s a way to be around games, something these people love, and feel like they’re part of the industry. A lot of people in the industry now have mentioned they worked at one. I wanted to work at one.

That said, if not the first rule of customer service, one of the primary rules is to make the customer feel welcome. That means no being rude to customers and no talking rudely about customers in front of other ones. I worked as a cashier for seven years and as much as I hated every hour of it, I at least managed to be kind or patient with people. I think that the cases that are being described in this thread of employees doubting customers, talking down to them or being as rude as they would be on a gaming forum are something unique to game retail and uncalled for. The asking about power-up rewards and warranties, having to say certain things about your in-store stock, that’s just business, I understand that. I’ll let them ask me that stuff all day. I think the other stuff crosses the line and can be fairly called out though.

My local GameStop was shut down when they tore down the mall they were in for a complete remodeling (should be back next year) and all my experiences there have been really nice. It’s pretty clear most of the people there were super excited about games so they would always try to hit up conversations about them with customers. My partner ended up in a really excited & long discussion about the Tales series with one of the employees & then they turned to ask me what my favorite was to which I responded “Their not really my thing” which made them get really apologetic which made me feel really bad.

Again, nothing but good things from my local GameStops. Except for the assholes who abuse the employees.

I can attest to retail work being quite difficult. I didn’t work at Gamestop, but at Target as an overnight stock-person, and it wasn’t a great environment. I learned a lot, though, and it gave me a lot of empathy for people behind the counter that I’m not sure I would have had otherwise. I’m a little ignorant on how GS does their retail, but I can imagine that there’s a lot of bologna behind the scenes that makes working there unpleasant, and whenever I’ve been there I’ve seen a lot of mothers and fathers buying things they don’t understand for kids who can’t express why they want it or what’s so important. Leaves the person behind the counter stuck in a bit of a hard place, I imagine.

That said, I’ve encountered some similar types as mentioned in this thread and some attitudes that just make the whole place feel unwelcoming.

I’m curious how my wife and I will deal with our kid getting into games, considering we’re VERY well-versed on them all and keep up. I never had that with my parents, and I wonder if it will be different for us going into stores like that, or if by the time my daughter branches out from Minecraft all physical game sales will cease…

I’ve worked retail for years so I completely understand it can be incredibly difficult. Despite that I’ve noticed that the vast majority of employees at stores I frequent are nothing but polite and helpful.

That said, as multiple people mentioned, GameStop had the unfortunate potential to be a cesspool of gross elitist attitudes present in gaming culture wrapped up in equally gross and harmful corporate culture that keeps employees unhappy and consumers disgruntled. It’s just a bad scene.

I walked into a Gamestop at the local mall a while back when I was still really into World of Warcraft. I was wearing my Illidan shirt from the Burning Crusade launch that was limited edition (I went to a midnight release) and was just idly browsing the PC titles. One of the employees and what had to be a friend of theirs (both presumably men) came up to me and asked me if I was interested in anything. Then they asked if I was “really into Warcraft” and I smiled and said yes, thinking this is going to be a good conversation. I was super into Wrath at the time! They (employee) bragged that they had a level 80 rogue and whatnot, with an air that I think was supposed to make me impressed. I felt my eyes roll back but I still smiled and told them that I had seven level 80s (Wrath leveling was unreal) and that I was currently doing progression raiding content in Icecrown on my tricked out fire mage.

Both of them got very weird after that but they continued to talk to me about Warcraft and ask me if I had a boyfriend.

Ah, the life of being a “gamer girl.” I am so glad I am sort of aged out of a lot of that talk now.

My summer working retail was perhaps the worst summer of my life. Stress and anxiety levels through the roof. Stress eating. Spending shifts trying not to cry while being yelled at by supervisors and attempting to actually do my job. It does give you some perspective though. I don’t give shit to people behind the cash anymore thats for sure.

Ugh.

Anyways. My most embarassing moment at a GameStop isn’t bad at all, but it was when I tried to buy a used copy of Red Dead Redemption and they asked for my ID. Like what. My ID? Really? I was over 17 and had bought several M Rated games from that location before but this time? Naw it’s like you’re buying cigarettes or a bottle of wine or something. I kinda just gave a clerk a weird look and handed him my ID while it seemed like everyone in the store was watching me. Not fun.

To contrast, my favourite GameStop story was when I accompanied a couple friends to the Pokemon Sun/Moon midnight launch. We showed up to the store fairly buzzed (we spent the night at a bar) and just had a blast talking to people straight up excited about some goddamn video games. I wasn’t allowed in the store though, since I wasn’t buying the game and didn’t have a preorder, so I had to wait outside while my friends picked up their games. That was kind of a bummer, but it was awesome to just talk to people about this cool-ass hobby.

I’ve never been to a GameStop (I don’t think they exist in UK retail) but one time I went to Best Buy (the first Best Buy ever to open in the UK) and was accused of stealing a PSP game:

I went with my Dad when I was about 13. He said I could get any game under a strict budget (which basically limited me to Pre-owned PSP games). I got Wipeout Pulse and my Dad bought it for me. When I left and checked the case in the car, I noticed they didn’t put the game in. My Dad, annoyed at this point, went back with me to complain. Not only did the staff not believe me, they immediately accused me of lying to both them and my Dad to end up with a second copy of the game. They refused to look to see if they dropped the game before putting it in the case (I was sure I could see a PSP game on the floor behind the counter). Eventually they just gave my Dad his money back and asked us to leave. I have never gone back to Best Buy.

My skin is crawling after reading the roach story and I am scared to approach my PS4 now.

Walked into a Gamestop last year.

First thing I saw was a toy display featuring a plush bear wearing a red “Make Gaming Great Again” shirt.

Walked right out.

I noticed my manager was doctoring her timesheet, and since she was a single mother with a very young son I confronted her and asked her to stop rather than logging and reporting her. The next week I was fired for theft and had to pay two large settlements over the next decade to avoid getting an arrest record.

Also several customers registered their displeasure re: the San Andreas player character’s race with me.