What's the worst thing that's ever happened to you in a GameStop?

Mine’s probably the most tame.

Hardcore Gamer Magazine was a short-lived successor to Gamefan Magazine back in the mid 2000’s (it lives on at hardcoregamer.com). Like most gaming magazines, it had a fanart section in the back, and every month they’d pick their favorite and it’d get a prize pack of goodies

Since it was kind of a niche mag and wasn’t super well distributed, I figured competition wouldn’t be terribly fierce, so I polished up a few pieces of fanart and submitted them. Sure enough, I ended up winning the very next month – receiving a prize pack of THQ games, one for each platform: WWE Day of Reckoning for the Gamecube, Evil Dead Regeneration for the PS2, Destroy All Humans for Xbox, and rounding everything out the Dawn of War: Winter Assault expansion for PC. Not a bad spread, but I only had a Gamecube at the time, and zero interest in wrestling.

So, I took these four brand new, still-shrink-wrapped games to my local Gamestop. I knew I wouldn’t get full price for any of them, but each one was worth at least $40. Surely I’d get a good deal, right? I mean, I’m not one to trade games in, so I didn’t really know, but I expected to walk out of there with $70 or maybe even $80.

Gamestop clerk gives me the stinkeye when I plop them down on the counter and ask for trade-in credit. He slides Dawn of War back my way, audibly annoyed: “We don’t take PC games on trade.” Okay, fair enough, I completely understand.

Then, one by one, he breaks the seal on each console game and cracks open the case to inspect the product. Uh. Well, sure! Gotta make sure everything’s on the up and up! He doesn’t know me. To him, maybe I look like some kind of shady character! I just dumped over $100 worth of brand new software on his counter, after all.

Trade in value for these three games is $21.

Each?

Together. As a whole.

In shock and feeling more than a little embarrassed, I take the $21, put it towards a pre-owned copy of Resident Evil 4 on the Gamecube, and slink out of the store with my tail between my legs.

At the other end of the parking lot was our town’s Wal-mart. Dawn of War: Winter Assault still in hand, I hit up the returns counter and they give me a cool $30 for it. For that one game. Whereas Gamestop’s trade in credit for the other three games was $7 each. I was quickly turning furious.

And that was the first and last time I ever tried to trade anything in at a Gamestop.

I don’t 100% remember how “bad” it was, but a few weeks ago my brother and I went on a mad dash around the local GameStops looking for a Switch. It was a bust (he has one from, presumably, Target, now), but I remember the last store we stopped at exclaiming they did not have any Switches as if we we’re nimrods for thinking they might.

A few years back, my family purchased a PS3 very late into the console cycle, and I remember it being very difficult to convince the cashier the three games we wanted were, indeed, inFamous, Warhawk, and LittleBigPlanet. (They might have had a point about the second one there, but still)

I’ve only been to Gamestop twice in my life since
I’ve only seen Gamestop twice in my life.

First time I talked to the one employee there and she mentioned that
Mario Maker was great fun and how it made her appreciate the old Super Mario games more.
Sadly they were sold out of Mario Makers so I guess this is my “worst experience” at a Gamestop.
The store was well-lit and nicely organized however so I wouldn’t have a problem going back.

Second time it was the same Gamestop (there’s only one in my city) and I purchased an Ancient Guardian Amiibo
and the employee made a joke about the dangers of Amiibo addiction.

There was no hassle or attempted tack-ons to my inquiries or purchases so I can
only say I had a very pleasant experience both times.

Employment.

Hey-oh! I’ll be here all night, folks.

For some reason, I feel super awkward crouching down in front of the lower levels of the ultra-used Nintendo section, where they’re all in a singular or double-sided glass case – they’re basically on the floor, leaving me squinting at the tiny cartridges out of boxes, so I always feel like I’m a collision waiting to happen down there.

I’ve only had someone accidentally (I hope) bump into me because they didn’t see me a grand total of two times, but one of those people was around crotch height by my head and more than willing to creepily joke to their buddies while I was still in the store, so it was pretty unpleasant.

To that on-shift employee’s credit (she seemed like a middle aged mom?) she gave me a spare promotional Pokémon poster “just because” when I checked out. It was really cute; I still have it!

I worked at one from 2007-2009. In all honesty, I didn’t grow to hate the company or the customers, but I did have some problems, mainly with training. One of the first things I eventually learned was that you should never criticize someone’s taste in games. From all of the stories here, this seems to be the number one complaint, which is why it should be the first thing they teach, not something you have to “figure out”. That’s one of my biggest lessons from working there: “good” and “bad” is a lot more relative than I used to think; most games have an audience, it’s just a matter of letting them find it.

As far as things that happened, I worked at the store on the poorest side of town. We dealt with a lot more used merchandise than other ones. We also had a lot more issues with people bringing in materials that were likely stolen. Depending on the manager, we either ignored it completely or kept a detailed list of all games a suspicious person traded in. Once again: training. The right/wrong manager made ALL THE DIFFERENCE, and we went through several.

Fun fact: habitual meth use can strip the paint from a DVD box art, sticking it to the plastic. I eventually learned to spot this and, when traded in, would trash the boxes immediately and wash my hands.

I not only told parents the game’s ESRB rating, but read the content descriptors. Our most popular game over the course of 3 years was GTA: San Andreas (even though it was already 3-years-old), and I would read say, “Just so you know, this game is rated Mature for ‘Blood and Gore’, ‘Intense Violence’, ‘Strong Language’, ‘Strong Sexual Content’, and ‘Use of Drugs’. Is that okay?” Half the time, the parent/guardian would go bug-eyed and say, “Oh, hell no.” The other half the time, they’d say their kid “sees worse stuff on the streets. That’s fine.” I was shocked at how many parents let their young children (often under 13) play that game.

The worst thing, though, was that we would get “raided” by 4chan. They would choose a random store to call on the phone nonstop for days at a time, always asking if we had “Battletoads”, and if you responded in a way that acknowledged you knew it was a prank call, they’d just berate you constantly. Some people made death threats and others just used homophobic/racial slurs. There were, however, a few clever prank calls (if such a thing exists). Even more frustrating, we used the phone line to process credit cards, so when these phone calls were running, we had to bust out the carbon paper and the “swipe” machine. This might seem funny in retrospect, but it instilled a deep-seated fear of phones that I have mostly overcome as well as a hatred of 4chan.

I really do think their biggest problem is training, though. First, they should teach employees not to criticize people’s taste in games. Second, teach them not to assume they know more than the customer. Third, teach them to “read people” and, if a customer’s not interested in something they’re forced to push, let up on them and help them get out of there.

Aside from the bad, I really can’t stress how important it is to respect other’s people’s tastes. I followed gaming websites, magazines, and podcasts, so I had the typical Dan Rykert attitude of game’s are either “bad” or “good”. When people wanted “bad” games, I judged them. Now some of those “bad” games are cult classics, like Chromehounds or The Club. Not everyone’s trying to get the same experience as you, so it’s best to trust that they know what they want.

Oh, and an even bigger lesson (that sort of ties into the previous point) is that the vast majority of customers were not hardcore gamers, by which I mean people who carefully read every review, watch all of the E3 videos, and have an encyclopedic knowledge of video games. Most people wanted the new Madden, GTA, or Guitar Hero (ah, those were the days). So when someone came in and asked if we had a Mario game for the Playstation 2, it behooved us to treat them with respect. After all, if I went into Sephora and asked for a $20 bottle of Tom Ford perfume, I wouldn’t want them to laugh me out of the store.

There was a gamestop within walking distance of my house and I used it for over a decade until I moved, with no real problems. It was tiny and smelled like BO when it was crowded but the employees always treated me with respect and my pre orders were almost never screwed up (more on that later) I suspect this was because of the manager more than anything because I have been in shitty gamestops like everyone else.
The worst things that happened are mild, one is having long waits because they only had one employee there and people bringing in garbage bags of games to trade in.
The other is coming in for a pre order and an employee had obviously grabbed my pre order item the night before, but, the manager was super embarrassed and gave me a majoras mask pin they had left over.

OH! so this wasn’t at Gamestop but I used to work at another store and they had a policy there where you need to be like 18 or something to buy M rated games. I think we were supposed to card them I don’t really remember because Computers wasn’t really my beat and honestly I was a pretty bad employee (Hi potential employers, don’t read this and if you do I am much better now and probably not even the same guy who you are thinking of hiring, that guy seems great) anyway, if some teenager year old wanted to buy the new Call of Duty I usually didn’t care enough to to raise a fuss about it. One time though, this kid who was, I’m gonna say 10, like, barely peeking over the counter comes in and for the first time in my life I’m glad we have this policy because what does the kid want to buy but Duke Nukem Forever. A game which is not only, bad but also a fairly hard M and overall just fairly offensive all around, so I tell him he can’t buy it without an adult and the day is saved. until, you know, five minutes later when his dad comes over and buys it and of course I don’t say anything because I’ve got that social and general anxiety that made me just such a terrific retail employee and salesman. Anyway that’s the story of how that kid probably learned what blowjobs are I guess.

Videogames. Videogames are the worst thing to happen to me at a GameStop

I probably haven’t been in a GameStop since I was 14. I guess the worst thing to happen to me was that I decided on my 14th birthday I wanted to get a another PS2 (last one I had got sold for rent money after I got in trouble at school along with all the games, as had several before it, as well as the PS3 I’d gotten for my 13th birthday,) and buy a bunch of games that I’d barely played as a kid like at friends houses and such as well as a few for nostalgia. I ended up getting MGS 2 & 3, Kingdom Hearts 1 & 2…can’t really remember the rest. There were like 10 of them total. Anyhow it stopped working 2 weeks after I got it, took it back, traded it in for a working one, it also stopped working shortly after. Have not had a console since.

what a fucking demoralizing story. sorry that happened. what a shitty thing to do to someone.

Wow did we work in the same store? This sounds exactly like my experience.

The worst experience I’ve had was a GS trying to pass off an obviously used game as new and giving me a hard time about not pre-ordering it. That was the first and last time I went to that store and it closed not too long after.

My local GS has been a really good place to go for me. It’s pretty much the only store (besides PetsMart & my local coffee shop) that the employees treat me with any respect.

I’ve never had an incredibly bad experience at a GameStop but I had a really awkward one at a local used game store around the time the Smash 4 released. I had gone into get a pro controller because everyone else in my group that was getting pumped for the game had already done so. As I was checking out the cashier asked if I was interested in preordering Smash 4. I was trying to make small talk with the cashier and told him that was okay someone else in our group of friends already had done so but I was pretty excited for the game because it was going to have Mega Man in it and he started screaming at me “STOP STOP SPOILERS I DON’T WANT TO KNOW”.

To this day I’m still confused both about how a fighting game character can be considered a spoiler and how you can work at a retail game store and not know these things when you’re trying to convince someone to preorder the game. :confused:

Hahaha, that’s ridiculous. It’d be one thing if Mega Man was a secret unlock, but as far as I remember, he’s immediately playable and was even in the early demo. Poor way to shut down a conversation.

If that person was so concerned about spoilers and keeping games completely fresh, it’s a shame they worked in a game store as the in-store news broadcast often talks about recent announcements.

The worst thing to happen to me at GameStop was when they bought out Electronics Boutique and rebranded the one near me. In the process, they pretty much fired (or possibly relocated) the crew that had been working there who were just a big bunch of cool nerds to a couple of dudes who I could bes describe as having graduated from the Car Dealership School of Sales Practices.

don’t snitch. gamestop doesn’t deserve your loyalty like this…

A similar thing happened when I picked up Metroid: Samus Returns the other day (I might have been one of the unwashed masses at the store with @2Mello, who knows?). The cashier mentioned that they still had the Metroid Amiibos. I asked what they unlocked and she said that she didn’t know because she was buying them both and didn’t want it spoiled. I mean, I’ve never bought an Amiibo, so I wasn’t about to shell out $30 for a two-pack. But also, if you’re trying to sell the toy, you should probably know what it unlocks so that you can sell it.

You’ll get an extra energy tank and a special hard mode. Kind of a hard sell for $30.

I’m also pretty sure it says that on the back of the box so it’s hardly a spoiler.

This thread is wild old but I came across it and immediately had flashbacks to two of my most recent GameStop experiences. These are pretty long

• I went to buy AC: Origins and there was a pretty long line. While waiting in line I listened to a cashier essentially describe every system from the previous and current generation to these 2 Mom’s looking to buy their kids a “cool, new game system” and settle on 2 Xbox 360’s. (This took 20 minutes). The cashier looked defeated. Meanwhile the manager is rattling off all of the ESRB ratings for CoD: WWII (and throwing in some extra flavor) for the 3 consecutive parent-children combos with the game. Honestly, he made me afraid of the game. Finally, as the last person before me goes up to buy a new copy of 2K, the manager explaining ESRB warnings to his customers stops mid-sentence to say (to this person having an entirely separate interaction), “Why don’t you get that used? It’s cheaper and holds value closer to what you spent.” At which point my stomach turns as I realize this guy is about to go full-capitalist and try to convince this customer to get a used game so it can benefit GameStop. And I was right, the manager gets into this back-and-forth with A CUSTOMER about the benefits about buying used games and insinuating that he’s making a bad decision by buying a new game. It was really gross, and I wanted to yell out “or you can tell him you just want him to buy a used game so your store gets all the profit from it instead of the devs/publishers,” but I really didn’t want to be in that store any longer.

• Earlier this year I went to a GameStop I don’t usually go to on the way to a friends house to finally buy a Switch. I got the switch, and Mario Odyssey and BotW, so it was a pretty decent sale. The manager/other employee on duty that got my system said the other cashier would be ringing me up (I’ve worked in sales; it seemed like they were handing off a large sale to boost their coworkers numbers, which I’m all for). During the entire exchange I was talking and joking with the clerks, all topics game-related and innocent. I’d forgotten my GameStop credit card at home, and asked if they could look it up for me, and my cashier immediately starts being extremely short and rude, not looking at me and only speaking to me in one/two word statements: “Didn’t work.” “Didn’t work” “Signature.” “ahem Signature” (at this point the other clerk interrupts and says, “uhhh please?”). I finished my purchase, but I was really upset. I was nothing but nice to this person, and spending a significant amount of money, I don’t understand why they possibly would’ve gotten an attitude with me.
    Funny enough, about two weeks ago, I go to my usual GameStop and the cashier who I was initially working with had moved to this store and remembered me. She even said, “yeah, I don’t know what was up with my co-worker that day… or any day in general. I’m really sorry about that.” So that was nice.