What's your favorite "bad" game

Still to this day, I probably spent more time playing King’s Bounty on the Sega Genesis as a kid than I’ve spent playing anything else (I’m guessing every Saturday and Sunday morning for 4+ hours for a few years…). There was this treasure-finding challenge to beat the game and at least half the time it was too buggy to work.

I don’t think One involved Bruce Willis–that would be Apocalypse, but real similar aesthetics for sure. Never played Apocalypse, but I loved One. Pretty great early 3D environments and controls. I’d love to play that again.

I’m seconding/thriding Drakengard for pretty much this same train of thought!

For me, it’s mainly games from my childhood. I played a lot of hot garbage, but going back to a lot of those games is still fun for me. Blaster Master: Overdrive and Star Wars: Bounty Hunter come to mind as two games that are definitively bad, but I still get a lot of enjoyment out of for that reason.

The weird thing is I vaguely remember it getting relatively positive reviews at launch.

By some bizarre miracle(?) a good friend of mine has a copy and a functioning DC. We got super high and were going to play through old DC games.

We popped in Illbleed and jesus christ is that game a mess. Actually unplayable. We quickly turned it off.

OH yeah, the online in MGSV was fantastic and way underrated.

I had never thought of STALKER as “bad.” But in retrospect I guess I remember losing a save file after getting stuck in level geometry.

Great game though.

I see some people have mentioned Enter the Matrix here.
I must’ve played that game to the end half a dozen times. Probably the worst rush job I’ve seen.

Illbleed is a work of unparalleled comedic genius. If you doubt me, watch Game Informer’s Super Replay of it.The last two episodes alone justify its greatness. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLoAFmgzYW18KEm56zCzFr9cbFF03jdwBJ

I’ve always stood behind Jet Force Gemini as a great game, despite the huge collectathon portion being extremely tedious (you can kill the collectibles? Why!?!) and, as you said, the N64 controller precluding any reasonable control scheme for the kind of platformer/shooter hybrid it tries to be. Come to think of it, pretty much all of JFG’s control problems might be solved if you played it with a mouse and keyboard.

MonsterSeed due to budget, and lack of options the games i picked up for my original playstation were always of middling to low quality and Spot Goes to Hollywood is another that feeds on my nostalgia.

Dive Kick.

When you’re too drunk to play a real fighting game, it’ll do the job.

I remember next to nothing about the content of Bullet Witch except its (possibly cool?) environmental spells of death and destruction, but I do remember playing through it several times and having a shocking amount of fun with it. Same deal with The Bouncer, though that might have been Stockholm syndrome from it being my first–and, for a while, only–single-player game for the PS2.

Obviously Mr. Bones.

The wargames made by AGEOD are a mixed bag, some are regarded quite well (like their original American Civil War game), but one title that everyone agrees is a real stinker is their 19th Century game Pride of Nations. Even the developers have acknowledged that they screwed up with this game by trying to shoehorn a global grand strategy game with economics and politics and colonisation into an engine that was originally designed to simulate limited, 18th century operational warfare.

The game lasts from 1850 to 1920 and is played in 2 week increments - that’s over 1800 turns with turn processing time taking up to several minutes to complete. The pace of the game is glacially slow, has an obtuse interface and will often require the player to write their own scripts to iron out bugs or AI problems that crop up from time to time.

But, for all that, I love the game to pieces and have been playing it regularly for years. If you’re at all interested in 19th century history, then this game has it all - no corner of the 19th century world is left untouched - from the French skirmishes with the Tukulor nation in the Western Sahara to the 2nd Anglo-Burmese War, to Commodore Perry’s Black Ships in Japan. The game is just chock full of little historical moments that you can tinker with and experience. Plus the game also comes with smaller, discreet operational scenarios that you will not find anywhere else like the Indian Mutiny and the Boer War. To their credit, the developers are still patching the game, 6 years after it was released. It’s often on sale on Steam for a just a few bucks and I would recommend anyone with a passing interest in the period check it out.

So Styx: Master of Shadows didn’t have a terrible critical reception, but it does have some glaring flaws. It looks incredibly dated for a 2014 release, and the controls and ledge-grab detection is janky as hell for a game that relies a lot on platforming. Nevertheless, I really enjoyed it, as a fan of stealth games. I had to come back to it a few times for it to grab me, but it finally did, and I absolutely do not regret the ~$13 CAD that it cost me on Steam. The level design is fantastic with great verticality and typically a number of viable routes, such that it never feels like the developer is funneling you down the one sneaky path–which is a real problem encountered by games that halfheartedly bring in stealth gameplay.

I don’t know if I would call the story–or many other elements of the game–particularly gripping, but level design is crucial to stealth games, and Styx does a really great job. I have yet to play the recently released sequel, but Master of Shadows got me surprisingly amped to get around to it.

If you’re the kind of stealth fan who wants to avoid confrontation and try to ghost the whole thing, who’s accustomed to quicksaving and -loading, then I would really recommend Styx.

Final Fantasy XIII. I’ve come to terms with it being a really bad game but I love it anyway. Those battles are just so much fun and I can’t get enough. I replay it all the time. It’s funny for how trash the game is it’s carved such a niche. I’m not the only one that really likes it. It’s practically a cult classic.

Not to drag this off-topic, but I’m one of those folks that does not consider Final Fantasy XIII to be A Bad Game. I really enjoyed it and consider it one of my favorite Final Fantasies.

The absolute vitriol FFXIII receives online baffles me as much as the people that proclaim Mass Effect 2 one of the greatest RPGs ever made.

It is definitely Kingdom Hearts. I love that game to death and I know it’s bad. I was 8 years old, and it got in me too young. Can’t get it out now. (Also the sequel went on to have some of the greatest action-RPG combat pre-Dark Souls, and alot of its foundational ideas come from the first game.)

Deus Ex: Invisible War. A load of experiments that didn’t work (universal ammo? oh dear) with an engine not conducive to the genre (also hobbling Thief with the tiny levels problem but IW really felt like the engine was actively working against the game at every moment) and a story that tried hard but maybe needed a few more drafts before anyone got near a VO studio.

But I still kinda dig it and have played through several times. There’s something about it that’s really nice and open, even if it seems to fail in actually jumping forward from DX1 most of the time.

Oh, and Clash Royale. I still jump in for a few quick rounds (and as an RTS where a multiplayer game is over in a few minutes, that’s easy to do) despite it being pay2win garbage full of abusive players (really pushing the limits of limited communication to try and goad opposition in a game which gives you a material advantage for paying them money for a multiplayer-only title). But it’s a really good compact RTS design with decent ongoing balancing (even if I’m not entirely convinced by the long-term progression and these new cards they keep adding into the game, especially ones locked behind the higher Elo-ish tiers of competition).