What's your favorite "bad" game

Hell yes. DK64 gets dunked on so hard all the time but my brother and I played the hell out of that game. I haven’t gone back in years but it was amazing to me at the time

Exactly, I’d love to see them go back to Remember Me and do it justice. More memory remixes, less linearity, and some extra polish to the combat.

It wouldn’t take much but the number of ways it didn’t quite work were so many that it weighed things down.

I love Drakengard. Drakengard is a bad video game, but I love Drakengard.

Drakengard should not exist, it’s a critique on the presentation of violence in video games, a deconstruction of incest fetishisation in anime, a satire on 100% completionism and achievement hunting. Drakengard actively wants the player to not play it, Drakengard does not like you.

Drakengard is an artsy indie game that somehow managed to be released on the PS2 in 2003 by fucking Square Enix. Drakengard is a bad video game but oh man am I glad it exists.

California Sports for the NES is a pretty big contender for me. Especially when you play it folk who’ve no experience with the game and are just floored with how bad it controls.

american idol for ps2

Yes!! Both Jak 2 and 3 looked fantastic and had amazing world building IMO. Also the Jak 3 “twist” is definitely terrible and I love it

i’m more of a fan of the gba version myself

Yeah, you both got a friend in me here. I’ll defend DK64. The dunks aren’t off base, but man, those game design practices you tolerate while young and for which you have no patience as an adult? idk, something special about being able to weather that era and enjoy it. can’t really unring that bell.

Rage of Mages 2: Necromancer.

Specifically the multiplayer. It’s an awful game but it sticks in my memory.

Sigh…I have 212 hours in the free to play game APB Reloaded, and it is the worst multiplayer shooter I have ever played.

The one that’s coming to mind right now is The Tick on SNES.

Jet Force Gemini had pretty ugly design and a difficult control layout (you moved with the yellow c-buttons and aimed with the analog stick). But it had some great level design and once I mastered the controls it became very rewarding. I never hear anyone talk about it though, despite including an excellent ant alien disco party. So I guess it was bad? But I still deeply enjoyed it.

The whole conceit of that game was enough to keep me interested. I think when I’m much older and taking stock of the games that I played in my life (yes, I’d totally do that, shut up) I’d probably judge it pretty favorably.

I would have to think more about this but I kind of like Enter the Matrix. It’s a mess but it is an ambitious mess. The idea of shooting a bunch of exclusive footage for that game is kind of crazy, it actually hurts The Matrix Reloaded a bit because at one point the film intersects the game’s plot during this power plant sequence and in the film they end up showing a confusing montage of the game’s events.

The combat was sort of fun and I really liked the fake DOS terminal you could access from the front end and go poking around for Easter Eggs, 7 years before Call of Duty: Blacks Ops did it.

I used to speedrun Ride to Hell Retribution that game owns

I guess Nier is seen as Good now that Automata has done the impossible and gotten people super hype for Nier, so I am having a hard time thinking of any other Bad games I really like

This is such an odd question. If there’s a game that I enjoy without any sense of irony, then I don’t consider it bad. People have heaped garbage on me online for apparently having the gall to enjoy games that the vocal consensus has deemed trash. (I’ve seriously had a lunatic on another forum get at my throat because I like the Final Fantasy XIII trilogy, which this individual apparently found unacceptable on a pathological level.)

On the other hand, I think that the PS2 Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex game is bad, to say the least, and yet I have a strange appreciation for it despite the fact that I also don’t like to play it. I don’t hate-play it, or anything like that (said lunatic I mentioned above actually played the entire FFXIII trilogy just so that he could hate it; I wish I was exaggerating). I doubt I’ll ever have the will to even finish it because it’s so punishing. But it’s in a place for me where I’d be totally willing to play it if I were asked, even though I don’t really like it.

Altered Beast is jank as hell and kinda bullshit at points, but it puts a smile on my face whenever I feel compelled to fire it up every now and then. The whole presentation of that game is so bananas that I’ll happily slog through what is largely a fairly mediocre game. Plus, hilariously compressed voice clips in old games gives me life (see also: Bad Dudes).

Some games that I love despite their infamous reputation: Final Fantasy X-2, Final Fantasy XIII, The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword and all the .hack// and .hack//G.U. series games.

Mass Effect: Andromeda: I like space stories. The Tempest is rad. Sue me.

Dragon Age: Inquisition: I know it’s not a “bad” game, but people have kinda turned a corner on it in the last year and a half or so and I feel like it becomes a whipping boy in a lot of open-world games discussions.

Assassin’s Creed 3: I like the homestead missions. The setting was awesome. Sue me.

Claymates: uhhhhh the internet was barely there when I was playing this game, but it was a 2D platformer with less than sharp controls, but the music and core concept of turning into different clay animals was neat! Sue me?