What's Your Favorite Weapon in a Shooter?

When a game puts the right weapon in the right hands, the results are magical.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://waypoint.vice.com/en_us/article/ne7zwd/whats-your-favorite-weapon-in-a-shooter

Flak Cannon.

Unreal Tournament.

Hands down.

Actually, dang, no close second would be the pistol from Halo1.

It’s a pretty close tie between the two tbh.

SG 552 in CS (beta onwards).

It was when I realised that my play styles in games generally meshed well with a DMR in terms of the gameplay balances that offers more action than a sniper rifle but more precision/sniping potential than an assault rifle.

It also had that weird note of being something you could only buy on one of the sides so if I was stuck on the other team then I had a new mission of opportunity: find someone with the gun I wanted and take it from them, then stay alive long enough to enjoy it. That has certainly led to it being part of some of the more memorable matches I’ve ever played, even if it’s not inherently an incredibly interesting weapon (compared to a thousand other marksman rifles in various games over the years).

Flamethrower in Team Fortress 2. Easy to get into, but a lot of room to improve with airblast reflections and just downright satisfying.

For me it’s a toss up between the Halo 1 Pistol and Destiny’s Hard Light exotic.

Hard Light wasn’t a good gun, some might’ve called it a bad gun. It was a fun gun that made a fun sound and looked great.

I kinda extend that review to all Omolon guns in Destiny/2. I hear Hard Light is back so I’m hoping to be reunited with my old friend soon!

Oh I also want to say the PEPS gun from Human Revolution that’s great!

This thread is secretly an experiment to see how many Waypoint forum posters are too young to have played Quake 1, right?

Because the answer is the Quake 1 rocket launcher.

Well, I suppose now that I’ve read the post I’m thinking about it anyway, so it isn’t as if not writing about it will make me not think about it.

My favorite weapon in TF2 was the shotgun, plainjane old shotgun. I had got three of them in Strange (i.e., they would track kills) and given them themed names. Particularly I enjoyed shotgun on roaming Engineer, which was nice to play casually because nobody expected Engineers, sans sentry, to be much of a threat; the underestimation was a nice equalizer (hurr) for my mediocre aim.

Reflects were definitely my favorite aspect of the flamethrowers. There was something immensely satisfying about not only shutting down someone’s attack, but actively turning it against them.

Oh, the knife in Modern Warfare 2. Just put on those Commando, Marathon, and Lightweight perks and let the fun begin.

The first time you un-fold the Mag-Charger in Timesplitters Future Perfect and fight out it can shoot through walls.

I’d personally put the Halo 2 Battle Rifle above the Halo 1 Pistol. The sound of that three-shot burst is, in the words of Danielle, * chef’s kiss *.

But I can’t help but think of all the guns from Star Wars: Dark Forces 3: Jedi Knight 2: Jedi Outcast 1. Most of them were bootleg versions of better games’ guns (the Golan Arms Flechette Launcher was just the previous mentions Flak Cannon), but even the simple pleasure of firing a Stormtrooper’s standard-issue E-11 was so perfectly tuned in that game.

It feels so good whenever I manage to get a kill with the energy sword in Halo

TF2 rocket launcher, easiest choice of my life:

i really cannot think of a single other entity in any videogame that gets away with being so complex, without wasting a single part of that complexity. it’s something that lets TF2 get away with having a guy who can be both a really bulky tank, and a bonafide glass cannon, often within seconds of each other, and have it be completely balanced.

i don’t hate overwatch by any means, but it’s really telling how the soldier equivalent is known for being a slow, easy target; when you try to simplify something like rocket jumping, it’s always going to be slow, because the reason rocket jumping is so fast and satisfying is because you get so many immediate options to play off of, and every single one of those options could always be the one you need in that moment.

Crossbow and revolver in Half Life 2 (though in all honesty I’ve only ever played with them in GMod). They’re weighty, they’re bassy, they do a heck of a lot of damage and they send physics objects flying with a satisfying ping. Not to mention the crossbow pinning ragdolls to walls and how the superheated bolts cool on contact.

I really liked the Quake 3 rocket launcher. Great sounds, good punchy damage, but most importantly - very satisfying to put a nice lead on your target and hit them, especially in Q3DM17.

Just gonna post this here from a previous thread.

I found a real liking duel wielding the submachine gun & BR from Halo.

The lander & sniper rifle in Gears of War also just felt really good to fire especially when you popped a headshot with the sniper.

The Suck Canon & Disk gun from Ratchet & Clank are both just really fun in a series that is full of really fun guns.

Using Lava Gun in Ratchet and Clank series was son fun! You just hold the fire button and then start turning around as lava spills around you destroying everyone who is trying to come your way. It is even more fun to use in Ratchet and Clank 3 after you get the upgraded version called Nytrogen Gun which freezes you enemies over while you continue doing the circles.

The thing i love about this gun the most is that Insomniac did not plan the weapon to be used that way. You can tell that from the last upgrade of this weapon in Ratchet and Clank 2 where instead of being able to freeze people over you start shooting meteors, and that wasn’t as satisfying to use. I am so glad that they changed it in the third game.

Oh, and also the Groovitron from Ratchet and Clank: Tools of Destruction. That weapon makes everyone dance so they can’t attack you. The thing with this weapon is that everyone can dance. Every NPC has a unique dance, every enemy, even Ratchet and Clank are bopping their heads while they are in the range of that weapon. Animation is a lot of work and I still can’t believe that they decided to do that.

Flak Cannon in UT is my all time favorite gun but I LOVE a good shotgun. The one in DOOM is a recent favorite.

Using the Smart Pistol MK6 at the end of Titanfall 2’s campaign is one of the most satisfying sections of shooter I’ve played in a while.

F.E.A.R. had an amazing shotgun. Especially when you hear enemies shout “Ooohhhhhh Fffffuuuuuuuck!” in slow motion.

And it would be an affront to neglect the supercharged Gravity Gun. What can I say, I’m a sucker for late game victory lap weapons.

Semi-auto rifles like the M14 or marksman variants of the M4 are usually my go-to in shooters.

I very much enjoyed the Gauss Cannon in DOOM. It’s slow as hell but the charge up sound and nailing the Mancubus is real satisfying? Also, that shotgun is SO good.

I’m halfway through writing a paean to fusion rifles on my blog.

Maybe not my all-time favourite so much as a recent hit. Something weighty and consequential of the cadence of chaaarge-brrraap. (To say nothing of last week’s legendary from Xur, that turns the rate of charge-fire way, way up.)