What's your Local Cuisine?

I’m moving myself cross-country during this coming summer, moving from a little college town outside of Kansas City to the surf and sand and I’m sure many other things of San Diego, California for grad school. I visited there this last weekend, and while me and my parents drove through the city, we drove past a restaurant named “Kansas City Barbecue”, which struck me as strange. Even though I know KC is supposed to be like a “barbecue town” (which is rough for a vegetarian), it felt strange to see a sign of home in an unfamiliar place, used as restaurant shorthand for its cuisine.

Anyway, this got me wondering, if there were a restaurant serving food to represent your hometown, what would it serve?

me just chanting Bannock! Bannock! Bannock! for 5 minutes

70386095e49d909f6a4dd30006646cbe

But really any Aboriginal food that is associated with Aboriginal cultures in the praries of Canada, especially Plains Cree/Nêhiyawak culture.

Like, it still weirds me out that most of the world doesn’t have access to good bison meat. You can walk into a lot of restaraunts here (even some fast food places) and get bison burgers instead of beef.

Indiana isn’t much of a culinary powerhouse. I don’t think it’s particularly famous for anything, but I think the food that’s always claimed as “Indiana food” are pork tenderloin sandwiches. They’re just big breaded fried pork sandwiches.

Our main thing in New Jersey is Pork Roll/Taylor Ham, a delightful processed meat log that I guess is kinda like spam, except it tastes good. You can find it in Pennsylvania and New York too from my experience but it’s touted as a Jersey thing. Pork roll, egg, and cheese sandwiches are something I’ll always be in the mood for. There’s a diner every ten feet here so it’s something you can safely count on being available and at least half-decent no matter where you are in the state.

Rutgers University in NJ also takes credit for the invention of the “fat sandwich” which is a sub (often with a cheesesteak base) stuffed with mozzarella sticks, fries, onion rings, chicken fingers, gyro meat, and a variety of other things that will shorten your lifespan. It’s incredible even though I can’t imagine we’re the only place to shove a variety of fried foods on a roll but hey the New York Times and Maxim have sung their praises over the years so we’ll take the credit.

My hometown, Werribee in Western Melbourne is a gastronomic powerhouse.

0eab38d851459f087fb6d92c4866250e

This is a halal snack pack or HSP for the uninitiated. It’s kind of a hell poutine of Australian cities’ western suburbs with doner meat, chicken, chips and at least two sauces. Some people put mayo instead of garlic sauce and they’re monsters.

I live in a small town in Manila, and I think our unique dish here is kalderetang itik, which is basically duck stew. Otherwise, it’s mostly traditional Filipino cuisine.

I’m from Mississippi, lived in Louisiana, and now live in Alabama and each of them has their own thing they’re known for.
Mississippi’s go-to would probably be fried chicken with sides like collard greens, biscuits, mac and cheese, and mashed potatoes and gravy. Louisiana has way too many things to say them all but boiled crawfish and poboys (big sandwiches on French bread with usually fried seafood on them) are the go-to. Alabama’s not as well-known as Kansas City, South Carolina, Memphis, or Texas for this; but it has really great barbecue especially smoked chicken with a white barbecue sauce (mayo and vinegar based). Together, you just get a bunch of fried “Southern” food where biscuits can be found anywhere.

pitbullmiamisubsfreelunchcontest

This might be (definitely is) super inside baseball, but I’ll leave it here nevertheless.

Miami has just about every Latin American cuisine under the sun. Peruvian, Ecuadorian, Guatemalan, Nicaraguan, Brazilian, and more. The big focus is, however, Cuban cuisine of all kinds, because it’s a city that has a huge population of Cuban immigrants and Exiles. My favorite dishes are Lomo Saltado (Peruvian), Gallo Pinto (Nicaraguan), and Pan con Bistec (Cuban). You’ll have to look that last one up yourself, since Wikipedia doesn’t have a page on it.

We also have drinks like horchata, guarapo, and three main Cuban sodas; Materva, Iron Beer and Jupiña. They are all absolutely delicious.

In all seriousness Miami’s food, like the city at large, is a melting pot of different cultures, but Cuban food would probably be the thing that comes up first if you’re doing word association.

The most on the nose dish would obviously be the Cuban sandwich, which to the uninitiated is made on pressed Cuban bread with ham, roasted pork, pickles, Swiss cheese and mustard.

If you really want to get into home cooking though the quintessential meal in my mind would be ropa vijea (shredded beef stewed with vegetables) with a side of rice and beans.

Yo, I was literally just talking about Iron Beer the other day. That’s my childhood.

In Seattle there’s this thing called “Seattle Dogs”, which is basically Seattle being like “hey guys, we’re a cool city, we have a style of hot dog just like the other cities too!” and it’s just a hot dog with Cream Cheese and grilled onions

I hate that it exists

I’m from Vancouver, Canada and I guess the most iconic local thing is probably smoked salmon?

Ironically, the BC ferry system used to do a seriously killer Manhattan clam chowder, though it is apparently only offered on more kind of out of the way routes now ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Probably cold, fresh seafood. Cockles in vinegar - yum! - jellied eels - blegh! - whelks, prawns, crab and so on. Great on a hot day down by the harbour, kinda miserable - but in a familiar, comfortable way - on a grey, dreary one.

it’s such a good sodaaaaa they’re not gonna have it when i move up north and i’m gonna diiiiiie :c

I guess Pie an Mash and jellied eels for me, also not much good for a vegetarian ¯_(ツ)_/¯

Milwaukee has a lot of impact from immigrant populations - the older stuff is German and Polish (so you can get duck blood soup and blood sausage and schnitzel aplently), but also a lot of Mexican, Salvadorean and Ecudorean stuff here now. There’s also the requisite fresh cheese curds to eat with your local craft beer. We also have the confusing thin crust but square cut round pizza, some Chicago stuff like Chicago-style hot dogs, as well as FROZEN CUSTARD!

Baltimore boy here, and I have hard opinions on how to prepare and serve hardshell crabs! Though I’m vegetarian, so probably not so much anymore :confused:

Still, Berger cookies are always dope and you should eat them.
downloadfile-4-01downloadfile-3-01

There’s no real Israeli cuisine, inasmuch as there’s really not Israeli culture. When people talk about “Israeli food”, they generally mean Palestinian cuisine appropriated by Zionists, which I’ll say no more about since that’s better done by someone who’s uh, Palestinian.

So the closest thing I have in relevance to this thread is traditional Ashkenazi (European Jewish) cuisine: stuff you’ve probably heard about like gefilte fish (fish stuffed with ground-up fish) and, my absolute favorite, kneidlach (“matzo balls”, as they are sometimes criminally referred to).

They may not look like much but boy is that stuff good. Soggy and chewy just to the right extent.

Do you like stews? Because boy do we Low Country folk have stews. Good stews too. We also like our cheeses, abbey beers, game meat, seafood and pie. Best beers in the world we have, those divine Trappist beers. Shame they’re so calorie-rich otherwise I’d drink them much more often.

And for Gent in particular we have the highest concentration of vegetarian restaurants in the world, so there’s a lot of good options on that front. We’ve also got a certain thin chicken or fish stew called ‘Waterzooi’ which basically translates to “Water mess” so… Yeah. It’s a little on the dull side but good if it’s made with the proper herbs. And then there’s the Middle Eastern and North African immigrants who bless us with their delicious cuisines, especially Levantian food.