What's your Local Cuisine?

Toronto, like a lot of newer metropoles, has so much different types of cuisine that it’s hard to define what is the city’s signature dish. Do we talk about the great pasta coming out of little Italy, the Portuguese delis on the west end, or the excellent Jewish food in North York? And don’t get me started on the suburbs. If pressed, I’d say the thing in Toronto to try are the West Indian-inspired roti wraps:

Word to the wise, do not request spicy unless you know what you’re talking about. These rotis do not fuck around.

I’m from Liverpool, our cuisine has to be Scouse. It’s important to note that theres no set recipie for Scouse however, each family has their own variant usually passed down from their parents.

It’s basically a meat and vegetable stew, but it’s far from basic. It’s home. Our families is generally lamb, carrots, potato, onion and a drop of brown sauce all nicely stewed. A nice chunky bit of bread to dip and mop up the juice and you’re sorted. It’s even better the next day

Now I’m curious… are HSPs in fact halal?

My area isn’t known for much in the way of cuisine (in fact, we’re usually forgotten about altogether). If I had to decide on a few items, they would be:
scrapple
and Dogfish Head beer (which, of course, has a scrapple-flavored beer)

I’m in Chicago so it feels like there’s almost everything here. Within a half hour I have access to so many different foods it’s kind of ridiculous. It’s to the point that growing up in the city and moving to the suburbs weirds me out because suddenly there’s foods I can’t get as easily. Like I kind of just assumed there was this much variety everywhere.

If I was gonna pick a single food tho I probably pick that corn on the cob that cart vendors sell, covered in squeeze butter, cheese and chili powder. simple but a big favorite.

Dogfish Head rules, and that stout too! The 120 minute IPA holds a special place in my heart particularly because I didn’t realize what the abv was the first time I drank it and it led to one of the weirdest/mildly-unpleasant-but-still-fun Wednesday nights I ever had.

I love their beers! They were the first craft breweries I got into (because of the proximity) but they have not bored me yet. Their Seaquench Ale is my go-to summer beer. I highly reccomend it if you’re a fan of sours/light ales.

Ah thanks I’ll go grab some this week! Yeah, we have some pretty good breweries in the metro DC/Delaware area with Dogfish Head, Flying Dog and Heavy Seas (my personal fave).

Throw in Victory and that list pretty much sums up 90% of the beer I drink.

This!

I’m also gonna rep for all the afrocaribbean favorites available (especially Jamaican food such as patties and coco bread, Kola champagne, curry goat, etc.) Miami is my hometown and the food culture is what I miss the most.

They are. Our most racist politicians actually rail against them because they think they’re a symbol of an eroding Australian (read: white) identity.

This happens so much in the UK, the far right media will complain that a KFC or something has gone halal and therefore ‘our’ British culture and identity is being erased.

But they’re sound having a nice British curry on the weekend /s.

I never can understand that logic. I mean, I’m not religious, but if you tell me something is kosher or halal I just think that it went through some extra steps and what I’m eating is the good shit. Like, it’s organic plus with Yahweh power. How can you turn that down?

As the old adage go, when you’re used to privilege, equality feels like discrimination. Racists are threatened by even the most basic attempts to accommodate Muslims.

I mean there are valid arguments against halal meat the Right could use in there agenda against Islam but arguing it’s killing British culture is laughable. (Though I don’t identify as british) British culture is arguably one of the most multicultured societies so its ridiculous to have a problem now with Muslims and argue it’s because of food preperation

@BigNoNo well exactly, it doesn’t help the media has used them as scapegoats for a variety of reasons

Philadelphia is the land of cheesesteaks and scrapple, and my four years in upstate NY have only further informed me of the many ways one can somehow screw up one of the simplest sandwiches ever invented.

Though the area of Philly I grew up in also has a huge population of East and Southeast Asian immigrants, so my sense of local cuisine also involves a lot of Chinese, Vietnamese, and Korean food as well.

Northern New Mexico is, in my personal opinion of living here my whole life, the absolute best place to eat breakfast burritos. We have the locally grown chile, yes spelled that way (and also the best in the nation no contest fuck Colorado or California for saying otherwise), tortillas made from scratch, and great eggs and bacon. Also we don’t always go in for that handheld business. Large burritos smothered in chile and cheese are the way to do it. If you are ever in Santa Fe make sure to stop by The Pantry restaurant, its heaven on a platter.

Now I’m curious; what are the valid arguments against Halal meat? Here in Canada, to my knowledge the meat is subject to the same governmental requirements, and the only additional steps are ensuring the animal is butchered humanely and a prayer is said. I admit my knowledge on the subject is sketchy, so I am willing to hear the case against Halal meat.

In most European countries, the UK included, an animal being slaughtered is only considered humane if it is stunned first. Islamic rules, generally require an animal to be fully alive and healthy, before being slaughtered which is usually interpreted as also being conscious.

So it’s half a battle between religious tollerance/acceptance vs animal welfare rights, so I personally believe the most valid arguments come from the animal welfare point of view (Though I’m no vegetarian).

This is a really good article from the bbc

Interesting article, I had not considered stunning requirements. That said, it seems at least there’s some accommodation by Muslims in the article to stun an animal in preparation for Halal butchering, so it’s not exactly like they’re not trying to abide by EU law.

But yeah, it does come down to the fact that you really can’t consider a process “humane” if it has been demonstrated that humans can live healthily by not consuming a sentient being, and then we consume them anyway. I say this as a meat eater, but it’s totally a lifestyle choice that I can’t ethically defend.