What's your Local Cuisine?

That’s funny, because as someone who grew up, at least a little while, in upstate NY, and whose entire extended family is still there, this is exactly how I feel about Buffalo wings. (Also, my uncle owned a bar that specialized in buffalo wings and he would bring home trays of them.)

Deep fried. Melted butter mixed with hot sauce. That’s it.

South Louisiana is a whole mess of different food. We have the “traditional Southern” influences of fried chicken and BBQ (although the BBQ down here is spotty at best). We also have the Cajun and Creole schools of cooking.

Then we have the Creole and Cajun cuisines, which are very different and don’t let Food Network tell you otherwise. To oversimplify a rather complicated distinction, Creole is based on the conglomeration of French, Spanish, Caribbean, African, and Native American dishes that occurred in New Orleans. Red beans and rice is probably the most recognizable dish of this style of cooking. Also poboys, especially the fried seafood variety.

Cajun is specifically the cuisine created by the Acadian people that were deported from Canada to southwest Louisiana. Lafayette is the seat of Cajun country. Due to their ancestry, Cajun dishes have a much heavier French influence than their Creole counterparts. Cajun specialties include jambalaya, gumbo, boudin (sausage stuffed with seasoned rice), etouffee (roux based stew usually made with shrimp or crawfish) and maque choux (a corn based side dish). Cajun cuisine also features food events as social gatherings such as crawfish boils and cochon de lait (whole roasted piglet either cooked on a spit or in an underground oven).

There are Cajun and Creole versions of popular dishes like jambalaya and gumbo, but I don’t think tomatoes belong in gumbo so the Creole version is rarely served.

Also we gave the world Popeye’s so you’re welcome.

One thing I miss now that I don’t live in NM is the ability to get green chile cheeseburgers from McDonalds (or basically anywhere).

Bless Louisiana food and thanks for expanding upon what I just touched on!

Philadelphia vs. Delaware: The Battle of the Scrapple.

Please tell me you’ve been to Frontier…

Whenever I visit Albuquerque, going to Frontier and eating one of their honey buns with a breakfast burrito is almost as important as visiting my family.

Food is all we have to stave off the impending doom of this state. I take this very seriously!

I don’t know if the grocery stores around me (Toronto) are weird outliers, but I keep seeing Halal meat being sold for cheaper than identical non-Halal cuts of meat. They’re also on sale more often it seems. Back when I would buy meat I would generally just buy the halal stuff. The only reasoning I can think of is that maybe non-muslims are weary of buying halal stuff??

Also, Toronto is the best city for food in the world. Take it from me, someone who has been on an airplane twice.

Cincinnati Chili is the thing that gets attention. It’s a thin, heavily spiced meat sauce served over spaghetti with shredded cheese. Gets a lot of flak for not being what people think of when you say chili but it’s pretty good. There’s also some good German food and a lot of good breweries if that’s your thing.

hi i live like a short bike ride away from the place that maybe sorta invented fajitas as we now think of it

also brisket is good and we do that good too

That’s such a big thing up here in Milwaukee too, especially at the fairs. OH MY GOSH I FORGOT ABOUT CREAM PUFFS

Yeah my dude. It’s right outside where I do most of my school work. Cheapest place to purchase an unholy amount of tortillas and sweet rolls at one in the morning.

God that place is fantastic. When my son gets a little older I might make the trip out there to see the balloon festival, but mostly it’s just an excuse to buy a plane ticket to Frontier.

I live in San Antonio, Texas and there is a lot of Tex-Mex food that can be eaten in San Antonio. There are taco places aplenty, and there and definitely many restaurants that have enchiladas, quesadillas, and tacos where I live. There is a specific tourist trap restaurant that has okay but overpriced food but has a wonderful bakery with all sorts of wonderful Mexican desserts and assorted baked goods. You got Empanadas, sweet treats that can be filled with different things. Pan de Huevo is another fine baked good that is a sweet bread that is more eggy and thus has a heavier texture.

I would be remiss if I didn’t include Pan de Muerto, a bread made usually for Day of the Dead, or Dia de Los Muertos in Spanish. Also, delicious tamales!

It’s a small widespread country so we don’t have much locally specific dishes in Norway, but a national favourite of mine must be meat cakes with potatoes (mashed or whole) and savoury brown sauce. (I don’t like cooked carrots but it was one of the few appetising pictures I could find)
Pairs nicely with some Lingonberry jam and/or pickled beetroot.

Don’t believe people who say a traditional dish is cooked sheep head, that’s gross as hell and I don’t know anyone who’s had it. I do not approve.

Here in Detroit we enjoy light, rather healthy cuisine, and I can think of no two dishes that represent our ethos better than:

The Coney Dog:

A steamed, natural casing hot dog topped with yellow mustard, raw onion, and a thick, cumin-laden meat sauce that makes anything taste better. Obviously, the expected side dish to such a delicacy would be an order of fries topped with that same brown meat sauce.

The Detroit-Style Pizza

A thick, rectangular pizza known for its crisp, caramelized crust and opulent amounts of cheese. Fun fact: its unique shape came about from it originally being made inside metal parts trays used in automotive factories.

Outside of these – which I’d refer to as “Detroit” foods – the city’s culinary identity is actually moreso defined by which neighborhood you happen to be in. The area is filled with myriad ethnic enclaves, and so within ten minutes you could find yourself being treated to great Middle Eastern, Mexican, South Asian, Salvadoran, Vietnamese, or Polish food depending on which direction you head from the city center.

What are the meat cakes made of? Are they like meatballs? It’s interesting that this looks so much like an American pot roast (meat, carrots, potatoes in sauce) with the addition of the jam. I don’t know what pot roast’s cultural heritage is in the US because it’s so widespread now, but it’s easy to imagine some connections.

They’re a little different than meatballs, for one they’re bigger and made with a mix of ground beef, pork and veal, where I believe Swedish meatballs typically just use beef. I vastly prefer ours.

After some googling they might have originated in Germany and are found around Scandinavia, because I guess we have nothing original in our country, but I recognise it as a national dish along with Lapskaus (meat, potato and veggie stew - also apparently German in origin).

Both super good, Lapskaus looks much less appetising in certain forms.

Sorry, but I call them matzo balls. Jewish American here. We don’t speak Yiddish or German here! I really dislike gefilte fish, but matzo ball soup is one of my comfort foods.

I will say, showing them outside of soup makes them look far less appetizing than they are, in my opinion