What's your Local Cuisine?

Oy sister, it pains me greatly how you speak of the gefilte.

That soup picture is legit tho

I am so glad you asked. Let’s talk about the Spiedie. “A spiedie consists of cubes of chicken, pork, lamb, veal, venison or beef. The meat cubes are marinated overnight or longer (sometimes for as long as two weeks under a controlled environment) in a special marinade, then grilled on spits (if steel skewers are used, they are called “spiedie rods”) over a charcoal pit.” (SOURCE: WIKIPEDIA BBY)

I live in Binghamton, home of the Spiedie. We have an event called Spiedie Fest every year that features a spiedie cooking contest, a balloon rally, and C-list celebrities from CW & Disney TV shows.

We also do sheet pizza which isn’t anything crazy since that seems rather spread out. But frankly, the southern tier has underrated pizza, large scale.We talking Nirchi’s, Rossi’s, and Brozzetti’s, a real strong trio of sheet pizza joints. I don’t think I can sell you on the idea that Binghamton can compete in the pizza world but trust me.

I’m in Jersey, so Pork Roll. Mainly Pork Roll, Egg & Cheese which you can find at pretty much every bagel place here, and there are PLENTY of those haha.

That or pizza (which yea, pizza is also kinda NY as well but). I live within about 5 miles of 4-5 pizza places, all of which have basically the same name and my wife and I always forget which is the good one. There is literally Dimola’s, Nicola’s and Divola’s all within 2-3 miles of each other alone haha

Bed Stuy in Brooklyn has a big West Indian community which means amazing food. Specifically Doubles from Trinidad. It’s fried flat bread filled with curried chick peas, tamarind, and pepper sauce and it’s incredible.

And even more specifically, from this place

This should 100% be a part of any visit to NYC

I don’t live in the area any more, but a hill I’m willing to die on is the assertion that Mark’s Texas Hots has the best garbage plate in Rochester. I respect the plate at Tahou’s, but given the choice, I’d go for Mark’s any day of the week.

Cheeseburger plate with fries and mac salad at Mark’s Texas Hots. (photo credit: some guy on Yelp, Jason R. https://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/marks-texas-hots-rochester?select=YzCu57XhMZoI_093HeosEw)

Gallo Pinto is soooo good!

HEEEEEEEELL YEAAAAAAAH!

@BernardKromwall Sorry to unearth the thread, but I finally got some Seaquench. For an 80 degree day, it’s really freaking nice!

That’s what’s up! I head back home in a few days. I plan on stopping by the Dogfish while I’m there and stocking up on it for the summer.

I grew up in SW Virginia but have spent most of the last decade in central NC, and…there’s not a ton of difference? There’s certainly more variety in central NC because it’s a more diverse place on the whole but as far as old-ass local stuff it’s all the same southern-type things.

I guess the only real difference is that people care way more about corned beef hash in the mountains, which is good and proper because it’s the best shit you can get out of a can for breakfast.

As for what I’d consider “southern-type stuff,” cornbread (made in a cast iron skillet and not sweet, they call corncake cornbread up north and deceive people,) green beans soaked in lots of vinegar, mashed potatoes and gravy, fried okra, corn, 30 billion ways to eat every single part of a pig including the two legitimate types of barbecue, western and eastern Carolina style, tho in SW Virginia we just called the tomato-base stuff “barbecue” and the vinegar-based “North Carolina style,” chitlins, porkrinds, pigs feet, ears too sometimes, and fried chicken. For deserts I guess pecan pie and sweet potatoes are the most “southern” ones. Catfish, hushpuppies, crawdads. Grits, with shrimp closer to the coast and cheese everywhere else. Potato salad. Oh and coleslaw, the food that people who don’t know better apparently hate. Baked beans, with honey ideally. Biscuits everywhere, biscuits and gravy, chicken biscuits, sausage biscuits, biscuits with apple butter, sweet potato butter, pumpkin butter.

There’s also gettin burgers “Carolina style,” which is a very local thing, I never heard of it till I moved down here. Basically its cheese, chili, slaw, tomato, mustard, and then whatever else. I usually stop at that. It’s fuckin delicious.

It’s common to eat like, gumbo as well though obviously that has origins further south.

Terminology clarification: in America biscuits look like this. I know in the UK at least they serve dog treats and call them biscuits, which is really a cruel thing to do.