What's your "Phoenix down" moment?

Just realized that Thrall from Warcraft is named Thrall like a LITERAL thrall for demons and wow did that sort of obvious thing elude me for the past decade.

What’s your example of something obvious that somehow eluded you???

Despite Sonic basically being my childhood, it was a very, very long time before I got why Tails’ real name was Miles Prower.

7 Likes

I hear Warcraft lore.

I am required to talk about Warcraft lore.

Not only was Thrall (and his people) enslaved by demonic forces by drinking the blood of Mannoroth, Thrall also grew up as a slave in a labour camp run by Aedelas Blackmoore, a Lieutenant of the Human kingdom of Lordaeron.

Also, his real name, Go’el, was stripped from him when his parents were killed and “Thrall” was a dismissive title that stuck as a name as it was all he had (until years later where he met his grandmother in World of Warcraft: Burning Crusade).

My phoenix down moment was in Undertale, when I learned a few months after finishing the game that the final boss has a name that is a truly awful, edgy anagram of seriAl murDerer.

I’m pretty sure it was the reason why I didn’t give the game my Game of the Year that year.

1 Like

My mum realised that The Beatles is a pun on a musical Beatyesterday!

5 Likes

(Well I broke the quote tags somehow and it’s too hard (for me) to fix on mobile)

oh my god that’s why dreemurr is spelt like that

3 Likes

Well, I also had that Dreemur moment reading this.
Also I didn’t realise Delta Rune was an anagram of Undertale until like yesterday when I saw it in a comment.

6 Likes

My Phoenix Down moment is for Phoenix Down, except I had it before the famous bombcast moment, while I was playing FFVII: Crisis Core. Since it’s an action game with 1 party member you can’t have someone use a phoenix down when you die. Instead it is a status effect which is shown by a yellow feather over your head.

2 Likes
10 Likes

Wait, “down”, as in “feather”?

Shit…

8 Likes

Oh wow it’s a unit of measurement. I was blind but now I see.

2 Likes

A couple weeks ago I realized Pallet Town is named that because all the other cities are named after colours.

Only took two decades for me to put that one together.

13 Likes

I mean, the misspelling/intentional pun probably makes that harder.

1 Like

Oh my… how did I never realize this?!

2 Likes

Agar.io is not just a made up name but refers to agar in a Petri dish.

1 Like

I definitely thought that it had a large warehouse district where they use a lot of wooden pallets for transportation.

I haven’t played a pokemon game since the gameboy what do they do with names now? I assume each town has more than one color.

1 Like

Diagon Alley. Diagonally!

13 Likes

Ash Catch’em

15 characters

4 Likes

Zapdos, Moltres, Articuno. The three Legendary Birds.

10 Likes

I can’t… this thread will be the end of me.

5 Likes

…I feel like a fool.

3 Likes