What's your "Phoenix down" moment?

I knew about the Diagon Alley from the movie when Daniel Radcliffe says “diagonally” but every other one is blowing me away. Well, the ones that I understand anyway.

1 Like

I never got this one until I was listening to a Comedy Bang Bang episode where a character who is a Pokemon trainer shows up and the character’s name is Dash Grabum.

It was only in that very moment that I got Ash’s name. D’oh.

2 Likes

It’s actually probably intended to be a triple pun (I always read it as “Diagon Alley”==“Diagonally”==“Diagonal Ley” (punning on Ley Lines, given the close arrangement of lots of magical stuff in a line)).

2 Likes

Yeah, me too.

15 chars

i read The Colour of Magic when i was in my teens. i figured out “in-sewer-ants” fairly quickly, but it took until my early twenties before i finally figured out what “reflected-sounds-of-underground-spirits” meant.

3 Likes

A month or two after Giant Bomb started doing their DBZ podcast, I was driving home from school, not doing or listening to anything that’s related to that podcast at all, and my brain randomly makes the realization: “Ohhhhhhh! It’s called ‘All Systems GOku…’”

2 Likes

I only realized that Voltorb is a portmanteau like a week ago.

4 Likes

same for knockturn alley - nocturnally!

4 Likes

The truth of Ekans & Arboc made me feel incompetent.

5 Likes

“Other M” is an anagram of “Mother”

11 Likes

He’s literally the second Mew. Mewtwo.

4 Likes

Goddamnit this is the first one on the list I’d never gotten.

Wow.

Both an anagram and an acronym: M.etroid O.ther M.

4 Likes

Diddy’s Kong Quest.

Not Diddy Kong’s Quest

Diddy’s Kong Quest.

Wait, “down”, as in “feather”? Shit…

I thought it was “Phoenix Down” like “the phoenix is down (and needs to come back to life)”.

I just realized the other week that Sonic Boom is not called such only because Boom is a catchy subtitle.

4 Likes

No it refers to the type of feather: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Down_feather

It’s also a reference to the theme song of Sonic CD, which I misunderstood as a kid to be a reference to Street Fighter.

Guile's_Sonic_Boom

2 Likes

Phoenix Wright is full of these, and I’m a fan of bad puns.

Winston Payne. Winced in pain.

That took me waaaaaaaay too long.

4 Likes

Luke Atmey. Luke Atmey!

5 Likes

In new vegas, I somehow didn’t catch it the first time that the big empty in Old World Blues is actually the Big MT as in Big Mountain. God damn I’m stupid.

3 Likes

Not a game, but Dragon Ball Z, it took me an embarassingly long time to figure out Bibidi, Babidi and Buu.

6 Likes