When did you realize your favorite movie was your favorite movie?

This past January I watched Hereditary for the first time and I haven’t stopped thinking about it since. Like, once or twice a week i’ll remember the car scene, or how sad and unfair that story is, or how beautifully shot that ending is and i’ll feel just as strongly as I did the first time I watched it.

Yesterday I realized that Hereditary is my favorite movie now. It knocked Blues Brothers off the pedestal it’s held for the past 12 years.

I just thought it was kind of wild that it took me that long to come to that conclusion. Have ya’ll ever read, played, or watched something and only realized months later that it’s your favorite?

3 Likes

I went through this process, but with regards to my favorite director, David Fincher. I don’t think I would say any one of his movies is my favorite movie. However, a few months ago, I realized that I think about his movies out of the blue more often than any other director, and more than any of my favorite movies.

I think that mastery of the craft of filmmaking allows for directors to exercise their skill at such a subtle level that you can’t immediately articulate exactly what was so powerful about it in the moment. Your subconscious keeps it around, forcing you to reconcile why it hit so hard, as you consciously wonder “why am I still thinking about this so much?” When I finally come around on what makes movies like this so indelible, it’s literally stunning.

We experience art easily and often, and most of it we process instantly: I like this, I don’t like that, I get it, etc. It’s rare to have a sublime experience. I process greatness slowly, so yeah, I totally relate to this.

1 Like

I feel determining a favourite anything is only really possible with the benefit of hindsight. Right now if you asked me for my favourite movie, I might hem and haw and end up suggesting you watch Sorry to Bother You. It’s stylish and splits being funny and serious very well, but mainly it hit me at a time where I was very anxious about work and my job, and really seized on those feelings. I was completely taken in by it by the time I left the theatre.

But will those feelings fade over time? The movie only came out last July and it hasn’t even been a year yet. Will my life change in a way that brings other issues to the front of my mind, so I find something new to latch onto, or just return to singing the praises of Fury Road as my favourite action movie? I can’t tell that, but I can tell you that Sorry to Bother You is my fave right now and it was basically since I got done watching it and started telling my friends and family about it.

2 Likes

I had a similar experience with Blade Runner. Though I wouldn’t call it my #1 favourite, when I first watched it a couple of years ago I was very whatever on it. Then over the following days and weeks it kept coming up in my mind and I was like “man, Blade Runner tho”

I think my actual favourite movie is Spirited Away. I think that just happened with repeat watchings. It’s a really comfortable movie that I’m happy to watch anytime, and the art and vibe of the whole thing is very much my jam. Even if I prefer other Ghibli movies (namely The Wind Rises), I think Spirited Away is more rewatchable so it kinda just took that spot by default.

Games on the other hand are much more of an explosive realization. After a while of playing Breath of the Wild I just knew that it was my new favourite. I didn’t really have to think about it. The same thing happened with Symphony of the Night when I played that, now my #2.

2 Likes

I’ve gone back and forth on my absolute favorite film, but the one I usually fall on is The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (the original) and that’s been the case since I saw it the first time.

It’s such an intense, “sticky” movie, with oppressive atmosphere and brutal imagery, despite not actually being very violent and I think its scare’s largely still work 35 years later.

TTCM is a not a thing I recommend lightly, it goes so far as to leave you shaken on a primal, sensory level, but I think it’s the ultimate cinematic experience and the thing I judge all other movies by.

1 Like

Pretty much right after finishing Children of Men for the first time. The third person camera follow during the battlefield sequence is a moment that has never been topped for me in film before or since. Also it basically called the hell future we’re rocketing towards.

4 Likes

I came here to give this exact answer. It’s an unbearably bleak and thoroughly life-affirming piece of work and it resonated with me on an emotional level I don’t think any other movie has. It is the scene you mentioned that solidifies it for me, but honestly you know you’re in for a trip right from the first scene. Maybe my favorite opening ever to a film? The way that fucking stark title card pops up over the alarm and panicked screaming is chilling.

1 Like

This is basically the position I came here to have (that I’m not sure if I can say what my Favourite Movie is, right now, if we’re supposed to have a strong, eternal position on this - I can say what movies I’d think of, right now (and some of them are old enough that they probably count), but there’s always recency effects, and always change.)

I dunno, I have difficulty comparing things I like to each other. I’m fairly certain that Holy Motors is my favourite thing I’ve seen since it was released, but not sure at all about how it ranks next to stuff I’ve seen prior to it.

1 Like

I think I realized Before Sunset was my favorite movie a few months after I watched it with my partner for the first time. I’d seen it before and liked it, but something about being in the beginning stages of a relationship made it magical. All three Before movies are great, and I love the way they capture how people change (and don’t) over time, but Sunset stands out for me for how it retains Sunrise’s sweetness but cuts it with exactly the right amount of adult cynicism and wistfulness. I still get chills thinking about the ending.

1 Like

I always feel like I’m still trying to figure out what my favorite movie is. I think that, given the way my brain works, it may just be that I only ever have a “for now” favorite, until something inevitably comes along and dethrones it. At the moment, I would say it’s Burning.

I think it was around the tenth time I watched The Princess Bride that I realized it was my favorite movie.

More recently, Mandy has just stuck with me. I won’t go so far as to say it’s my favorite just yet but it’s getting really close.

2 Likes

Mandy is so wild. I would probably have called it my current favorite before I saw Burning. The cinematography is killer. Cage is so absurd in that movie, and I hope people will just keep casting him in the most ridiculous roles possible.

1 Like

I loved The Green Room when I saw it in theaters, but it didn’t become my favorite movie until rewatching American History X. AHX fails is so many regards (I wrote a 12 page paper about it in my critical theory class, but basically talking to a black guy about basketball isn’t enough to stop someone from being racist), and it is cathartic to see punx fighting back against nazis it what seems like an impossible fight. So immediately after that rewatch of AHX I just wanted to watch The Green Room. It has its flaws, sure, but it’s my favorite movie and I love it.

Speaking of films by Ari Aster, has anyone else seen the Midsommar trailer?

Looks spooky!

3 Likes

I first learned about the Before movies, randomly enough, from watching an episode of the old Edgar Wright show, Spaced with the director commentary (which included Patton Oswalt for no discernible reason). At some point Oswalt made the comparison of what the show goes for with Before Sunset, and both were just gushing about the movies, with Patton Oswalt saying how watching both films back-to-back was a near-transcendental experience for him. So, not knowing anything about them, I went and watched both as a double feature, and it was like my then high school age self was learning what movies can actually accomplish with character writing for the first time. That car ride in Sunset still messes me up every time I watch it and I’ll never forget how taken aback I was when I realized that it not only came out nine years after Sunrise, but takes place nine years after as well. Add to all that: Jesse and Celine being fantastic characters with genuine chemistry, the conversational nature of the series, and Sunset introducing me to Nina Simone – and it’s without a doubt one of my all-time favorites as well.

2 Likes

I think what sticks out for me is the experience of how I saw it. For example, Signs was PERFECT for my first movie I ever… Ahem, pirated, and the experience of watching it alone in my Dad’s office at midnight down in the basement was the perfect experience. Same with REC. REC is MEANT to be watched bootlegged by yourself.

(Note, I do not pirate films anymore. This is when I was young teen.)

But my favorite film, I think, is The Departed. . Partly for the second theater viewing, watching people’s reactions to the twists and deaths as they came along. The GASPS at the end scene have stuck with me for over 10 years. I had the time of my life, and YES I THINK THE RAT AT THE END IS FINE.

IT’S FINE. DON’T TALK TO ME ABOUT IT.

I also love Trainspotting because the experience of that got me into Irvine Welsh books. Going from the movie, which I loved, to the book, which was even better, is such a good reward for absorbing media. Good shit.

1 Like

Oh hell yeah that looks wild.

A lot of the shots kind of remind me of a Wes Andersen movie and wow does a horror Wes Andersen movie work.

I can always tell a movie becomes a favorite right when I’m watching it. I think that speaks to the type of movies that take those spots, which are usually extremely action packed or stylish. I know it’s definitely not a perfect movie, but I have seen Scott Pilgrim way more times than I can count at this point and I knew as soon as those credits came that this was extremely my shit. Also it came out during the 3D boom and it’s honestly a shame it didn’t come out as a 3D movie.

Props are also deserved for The Raid and more recently Spider-Man enter the spiderverse

The departed is so goddam good! Also hands down the best mark wahlberg movie. Trainspotting is one of my favorites too. The movie has some great scenes going for it that the book doesn’t (specifically when Rent overdoses and when he’s coming off heroin in bed).

1 Like