Why 'Fortnite' and 'Apex Legends' Top Players Keep Colluding

High ranked Apex Legends players noticed something strange recently. At the end of a hard-fought match they were facing off against six players instead of three. Typically, an Apex Legends game features 20 teams of three fighting on a large map that shrinks a little every few minutes. In at least two games this month, players noticed top ranked players leading independent teams of threes and collaborating. It’s called teaming, and it’s a kind of scandal particularly common in sports.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/4ayvad/apex-legends-teaming-scandal
6 Likes

This is a really good piece. I know there’s not much that can be done around the attention economy aspects of streaming without some big shifts in how that is monetised, but a healthier distribution of tournament winnings and structuring of entry conditions can go a long way to redressing some of these imbalances.

The only esports I’ve really followed in any detail has been Starcraft 2 and they had regular discussions around this sort of issue every season, particularly as the money shifted around between the US, EU and the worries about KR players coming in and sweeping the field.

One aspect I find interesting here is that Apex is a team game, yet there’s still a big attachment to a solo-pub individual MMR? Is that because the teams are smaller, or because the game style is Battle Royale as opposed to round based stuff like Overwatch and CS?

2 Likes

I think a lot of that has just been around the culture of these types of games. If you look at most battle royale content creators, a lot of their videos is them doing pub stomps. Just big kill numbers and a win. Even in games like Apex, I still feel like I see more of a focus on individual performance and aggressive play.

And honestly, I’m not surprised by this at all. I do like your suggestions on a better distribution of tournament winnings since battle royale games don’t have the same format as other team based games like R6 or CSGO.

2 Likes

Yep which is why there’s an entire meme that is shockingly accurate around players who have ttv in their name that play wraith and will drop hot, sometimes even solo, then quit as soon as they go down. They’re often people who are streamers no one knows about that are looking to get a good clip to drive interest in themselves up.

Which I get the incentive but also completely ruins the game for their team who are often just random people trying to have a good time.

It’s led to some interesting pushback inside of the community through self policing by having clips saved of people doing the above so they can be posted when they start to show up on Reddit.

I think it would be interesting to see something like a leavers que show up for repeat offenders or a separate stat that’s easily visible via a stat track site that lists number of times someone has left before banner timeout.

1 Like

I could see that happening. Unlike other battle royale games, Apex felt like it was built from the ground up for team work.