Why is watching comedy anime so exhausting for me?

Waypoint forums, I have a conunundrum for ya:
I like comedy anime a fair bit. However, I have a really hard time getting momentum watching it. My “currently watching” and “on hold” lists on MAL are clogged with comedy shows I rather liked, but only am a couple episodes into. Osomatsu-san is one of the worst offenders here, but the King of Comedy Anime Procrastination Mountain for me is Nichijou, which I began watching while it was still airing, have watched one episode at a time, and I have averaged one episode a year. I just watched episode 9 for the first time yesterday. I consider it one of the finest anime ever created but I have such a hard time prodding myself to keep going.

I don’t have this issue with comedy manga - I can and will binge read Azumanga Daioh and such all day - but comedy anime is such a struggle for me. I can do slice of life and other genres in large quantities, too, so I’m clueless here.

Does anyone else run up against this issue? Am I the only one? Any ideas why?

Nichijou is completely incomprehensible, maybe that is why. Thought the same thing when watching Pop Team Epic. Even if I laugh at both of them I’m not always sure why I do. That can make me hesitate to put an episode on.

Other series that I found very funny but maybe doesn’t count as pure “comedy” like Miss Kobayashi’s Dragon Maid or Gamers I blasted through. But they also have a plot.

Nichijou has no qualms about taking a pointless bit and drawing it out far beyond how long it should actually take, often just repeating itself for comedic effect. It’s great, but it makes it really hard to sit down and watch. I’m pretty sure I’ve seen more of the show just from segments on Youtube than what I actually managed in the original format.

This is pretty true, though if Nichijou can occasionally go too far then oh boy does Osomatsu-San commit some outright war crimes with this

Gintama tends to be pretty well-paced as far as comedy goes but then I think that show (at least as far as I am, which is about ten episodes) occasionally suffers from trying to blend slapstick and absurdist comedy a la Nichijou with shonen pacing, but then I hear it hits its stride really well eventually so I’m not too worried

I think this is part of why I really love comedy manga - they’re a lot more bite-sized and the bits are much quicker, so you can roll between them quickly

This happens to me a lot to, and the general conclusion I’ve reached regarding it is that for comfy, comedy anime that makes us happy to watch, but we know doesn’t have like, A Particular Pay Off to get to at the end, saying good bye is terribly sad. We are staring down there end of a very pleasant journey, the destination of which we know isn’t somewhere new or fantastic. Just the end of that fun journey.

So it often end up being easier to turn away from that end, permanently postpone it, and pretend that by not ever reaching the ending, the ending doesn’t exist. I believe Danielle has essentially said the same of her relationship with Farscape and never having finished it an free times now, though I don’t remember if that’s ok Waypoint or on Idle Weekend.

i could mainline a drama, thriller, sci-fi, whatever show in a single day, but ask me to do the same with any comedy show and i’ll tap out after two hours. laughter is not as mentally engaging as following plot threads, and yeah, you’re right: it’s exhausting. it’s a reaction you have to be prepared to give back to a good joke. maybe you’re like me?

I see what you’re saying, especially re: plot threads, but to get into it a bit more deeply - like, for something like your Sword Arts or Attack on Titans of the world, it’s easy to just lie back and shut your brain off. Comedy anime, I really have to give shows like that my fullest attention. And it’s a different kind of attention from a more cerebral thriller sorta deal like Lain or Ghost in the Shell, which can also be exhausting for me but I usually feel driven to at least keep watching. Comedy anime, I just need one twenty-minute hit and I’m good for like, a month.

The comedy format suits weekly viewings much better than other genres since, as said above, there isn’t a narrative thrust to keep you invested in in the long-term stakes of any given plot thread.

Also it’s really easy to burn out on laughter dopamine in a short period of time.