Why It’s So Hard to Get into Games like Monster Hunter

With Monster Hunter: World on the horizon, it seemed like the perfect time to discuss the reasons why some games—or game series—have proven tough for us to wrap our heads around. Sometimes, it’s design. Other times, it’s the community around the game. Austin, Danielle, and myself hopped on microphones to use Monster Hunter as a starting point for this larger question, which dragged in everything from Dark Souls to Darkest Dungeon. (The embargo is up on World next week. Stay tuned for more!).

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://waypoint.vice.com/en_us/article/43qmdg/why-its-so-hard-to-get-into-games-like-monster-hunter

My story on how I got into Monster hunter goes way back even before Demon’s souls is how I learned in school.
Because of my dyslexia, I needed to learn in a different way so that my brain can better take in information and make sure it sticks. To do so I would break down words, sentences, paragraphs, and even whole chapters to help me not only read but understand what I’m reading. This bleed into other subjects other than my English classes (making me really good at math). By the end of highschool I was reading more and willing to dive in to different subject since now I can take it in.

When news of Demon’s souls was coming out and selling out, it made me curious of why so many people was getting into a “hard” game. To help me understand how this game work I would look at Youtube videos of the game but I used what I learn from school is break it down. So I broke each levels down from what enemies to look at, how they move, and how they group up. Then there how the level is design and what some tricks to look out for to helps finding traps, shortcuts, or hidden areas.

So with a new Monster hunter coming out for the 3DS, I was ready to apply my Demon’s and Dark souls skills to MH and sure enough I hit me with getting around the different monsters and got me to try out weapons I wouldn’t think to use. I learned to watch Monster’s moves, prep to ensure to my survival, and help me to be a better teammate for multiplayer.

I think the reason why certain creators don’t want to add any adjustments to the game’s difficulty, not just by fan backlash, but from how it wouldn’t fit with the world of the game. Is it really awesome to finish a monster off if it only takes a few hits and you only took very little damage. There also a argument that if you lower the difficult of a game, you would less likely to increase it and, from a few people I seen who do lower the difficulty, feel like the game got worse when the game was pulling it punches.

I would argue that Monster Hunter’s best tutorial is trying the weapons out and seeing which weapon’s basic moves work for you (like how Patrick went with the twin blades since it basic) After getting use to monster’s movements and getting in the feel of your first weapons then go for more advance weapons and seeing videos on what are the awesome moves you can use.

Anyway to all you who want to enter Monster hunter, enter the Monster hunter thread, talk about what you need help with and we, the Waypoint hunters will help you out.

I’m always fascinated by things that are both very complex and very popular. We’re taught to think that something has to be simple to gain mass appeal yet Monster Hunter, Baseball, Game of Throne, Professional Wrestling, and countless others manage to have huge following despite having byzantine internal histories as well as a vast number of rules both written and unwritten. For instance, I’ve been watching baseball since I was a little kid and I still don’t fully understand what a balk is.

I think a big part of it is about creating and joining an in group. We grow watching and playing sports with friends and family, Monster Hunter is played co-op to take down the biggest monsters, we have Game of Throne watch parties so that we can help each other keep the hundreds of storylines straight. A shared understanding of these complex worlds can be a wonderful thing. I love watching baseball with both my dad and random people at bars.

The real problem is when people become so dug in that they see only the rules that create the shared world and not the group that form within it. There is a common line through the Dark Souls player who insists you need to “get good,” the baseball purist who thinks bat flips are killing the game, and the guy you watch Game of Thrones with who insists that you can’t be a real fan if you haven’t read the books. These worlds are designed to become part of your identity. And when people integrate these things to closely to their sense of self they get defensive.

I don’t know how to break that toxic self-identification and it’s something that the internet has probably made worse. With a computer and an internet connection I can spend all day reading and discussing baseball. Now instead of a few popular subcultures allowing for that sort of self-identification almost any niche interest can become an integral part of someone’s identity.

Did anyone else get British army recruitment ads all throughout the podcast? I know they don’t pick the ads personally but it made me really uncomfortable.

This just came up in my Youtube suggestion feed