Why Sword & Sworcery's Designer Waited 10 Years to Release a New Game

When most developers release a genuine hit, they step into the spotlight. The release of Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery EP in 2011 could have been that moment for designer Craig Adams. A pixelated journey equal parts beautiful and tragic, it was an early showcase for what was possible on two different mediums: mobile games and Twitter. It showed how touch-based video games could feel fundamentally good without buttons, and reflected the more playful and naive social media that defined an era that has since soured our culture.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/xg85aq/why-sword-and-sworcerys-designer-waited-10-years-to-release-a-new-game

Sad to see no one engaging with this! Not sure if it’s a fluke?

I find it super interesting that 3D games are starting to go back to “what if navigating the space is the main theme of the game”. In the early 3D games it was related to not having successful examples to copy, and I think now we’ve gone backwards and a lot of games just copy each other. I’m mostly thinking about open world games where the AC formula of a protagonist that can just parkour their way around the world became the way to make open world games. Traversing was trivialized in the process. Now games like Death Stranding, Outer Wilds, and Breath of the Wild are finding ways to bring back engaging with the terrain again. Hope to see JETT really nail that, S&S was really cool.

2 Likes

I wish I could properly express how happy I am to see Adams making another game. He has been such an inspiration to me.

1 Like

The crossed capital Ts look like Fs, so when this was first shown, the Giant Bomb stream had a lot of questions for Jeff Gerstmann, who joked “I’m proud to announce…”

2 Likes