Will 'Wastelanders' Be Enough To Save 'Fallout 76'?

For as long as there have been online games, there have been disastrous online game launches. In recent years, we've seen a new trend of multiplayer online games that have brought themselves back from the brink. Games like Final Fantasy XIV, Destiny, and The Division launched with issues both mechanical and structural, but through updates and revamps, were eventually able to find an audience of dedicated players. With each new "failed" launch, you wonder whether the developers have the support and ability to mold the game into something that will come to have a dedicated community. Fallout 76 is one such game, and this week on Waypoint Radio, we discuss whether the new "Wastelanders" update sets this game on track for a comeback, or if it's too little too late. You can read an excerpt and listen to the full episode below.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/jgxepg/wastelanders-enough-to-save-fallout-76-waypoint-radio

There are two different ways that I hear people use the phrase “there’s no ethical consumption over capitalism”. One of them is an admonishment not to be fooled by the idea that if you just consume the right things in the right way you can change the world. The other is a nihilistic shrug.

Anyway, it turns out that Riot didn’t do anything to change their culture, but it’s very pro-worker, actually to play their new game anyway.

1 Like

I was a little taken aback by Austin’s rationalization for playing Valorant, even if I don’t necessarily think he is in the wrong for checking it out. Like, I get it, we live in an imperfect world and sometimes we make decisions that fall short of moral purity. I’ve been playing a ton of Overwatch during the COVID lockdown, despite having deep reservations of Blizzard’s actions in many respects. But I want to spend time with my friends and family, and if they want to bond over pushing the payload I’m fine with making that compromise.But I’m accepting it as a moral compromise and not dressing it up as good actually.

Similarly, with Valorant I get the need for Waypoint to cover it. It’s a game of note and I imagine that talking/writing about it would drive traffic to the site and keep people employed. And heck, it does look like fun. But let’s not pretend that playing it isn’t supporting a deeply toxic company.

1 Like