With 'Jedi: Fallen Order,' EA Finally Makes a Good Star Wars Game

I am a spinning ball of light and death in the bowels of the Empire. Surrounded by Stormtroopers wielding stun batons, I single out the group's leader and use the Force to bring him to me. The momentum of his journey drives his body on to the end of my lightsaber. I discard the corpse and fling my lightsaber behind my back, catching a stun baton just before it hits my back. I spin the blade around me, cutting down the remaining forces. A door opens and more Stormtroopers fill the hallway, firing blasters. I run toward them, parrying their fire as I close the distance, picking them off with their own blasts. They’re dead by the time I reach them.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/9ke4wp/star-wars-jedi-fallen-order-review
1 Like

I can’t explain all the great wintery feelings I’m having getting into Star Wars again. I’m playing this game, enjoying the FUCK out of Mandalorian, finishing the last season of Rebels, and even giving the prequels another chance!

I lasted 30 minutes into Phantom Menace.

It feels like the wonder I had when I got Shadows of the Empire on N64 again.

4 Likes

I know there was a whole mess around it but I will still defend the starfighter assault mode in battlefront 2 the second. That game was so close to being good but the entire progression/lootbox system spoils it.

3 Likes

As soon as I started making vwoom noises And especially when I heard the voice acting for the Night Sister and Night Brothers on Dathomir. I was 100% a Star Wars kid again. I can’t believe it’s taken this long to make a good single player Star Wars game again. There’s some jank, but the rest of the game makes the jank 100% forgivable.

On Prequels Use your fast forward button liberally in the Phantom Menace and even more so in attack of the clones. Or just go find the Phantom Edits. But watch Revenge. I’m not going to tell you it’s high cinema, but it does manage to finally tell a decent Star Wars-y story.

3 Likes

I’ve been wanting to check out some prequel edits. There are so many though.

I know that Topher Grace cuts together fan edits to decompress from his acting roles sometimes. I wish he’d release them!

Star Wars edits are like Skyrim mods. Eventually you’re gonna have the urge to break out the software and make your own.

4 Likes

I’ve been wanting to run a game of Star Wars Edge of the Empire featuring a bunch of podracers… Damn you Star Wars for getting my idea brain going.

1 Like