Xbox Is Building the Netflix of Games. Is That a Good Thing?

I used to buy every game the moment they came out which meant I often didn’t have money for other things. Which is a bit of a big regret of mine over recent years and has taken me time to properly realise. I’d buy a game and then it would just sit on my shelf never to be played again.

Ever since signing up to Xbox Games Pass I have definitely started buying less of the big games. I resisted playing Metro Exodus after the middling reviews - figured I just wait until it inevitably turned up on games pass and lo and behold it shows up 3 months after it came out. I think in other respects game pass does provide a curated list of decent games over recent months there’s been Mutant Year Zero, Ashen, Void Bastards and Outer Wilds have all been on Game pass. Added on to this, I’m more likely to replay games on Xbox, like Doom and Wolfenstein. So I guess it is providing with the right amount of new stuff as well as the comfort stuff I like to binge on - which tends to be my experience with Netflix.

Admittedly, I’m also subscribed to PS+ and Humble Bundle which really provides me with all the games I could ever want. I find with Humble Bundle that it will have often given me a game a couple of months before they actually come up on my radar. Similarly, I’m less inclined to buy games in a steam sale, as I know that if I’m patient it’ll end up on Humble Bundle eventually.

I don’t know how this will affect developers exactly, since I’m actively choosing not to buy their games because I’ll be waiting for it to come up on one of these platforms later down the line.

I think they accidentally confused Spiritfarer (building a house-boat to ferry animal spirits, including a deer) with Way to the Woods (spirit deer and faun explording post-apocalyptic landscape).

Great year for spirit cervines.

e: Oh good, they caught that later in the pod.

1 Like

Waypoint stop dropping non-sequitur game spoilers followed by a “u mad bro” flex challenge