Y'all Have Fantasy Book Recommendations?

I’d reccomend The Man Who Spoke Snakish by Andres Kivirahk.
It’s a very popular novel from Estonia about the era of folklore being replaced by the modern world. Bittersweet and entertaining. As I read this I could imagine an old storyteller belting this one out in a tavern somewhere, especially the bawdier parts like a bear seducing the protagonists sister.

2 Likes

I’ll second nearly everything recommended above and will also say that Wee Free Men (and the entire Tiffany Aching collection that this book starts) is a great entry point into Terry Pratchett’s Discworld series.

Not mentioned but definitely worth checking out: Alif The Unseen. It’s a very managable 350ish pages and written by the amazing G. Willow Wilson who is now absolutely killing it with the Ms. Marvel comics.

1 Like

I think if you liked Wicked you’d like Son of a Witch, probably.
A Lion Among Men isn’t great. Out of Oz is good again.

I’d recommend Max Gladstone’s Craft Sequence! It’s about a world where wizards and lawyers are the same thing, and gods are being replaced by corporations. It’s really thoughtful and fun, and I like the prose a lot. Also so far none of the pov characters have been straight white men, which is refreshing.

1 Like

Another vote for Abercrombie’s First Law series, as well as The Heroes which is standalone, but IMO his best book. I also read Le Guin’s first Earthsea book recently and it has a lovely fable-like quality you might enjoy.

1 Like

I’ll throw in another vote for Wizard of Earthsea! And if you’re interested in audiobooks, the recording done by Harlan Ellison and Le Guin herself is delightful. Super hammy and energetic– makes me feel like being read a story as a kid, which I think is perfect for that book.

Likewise, the audiobooks for the Abhorsen series are read by Tim Curry and it’s just as good as you’d imagine.

I read all of Mieville’s novels last year and I don’t remember reacting negatively to that twist, but that may be because that the last act of the book is so exhausting and nasty. I’ll have to read it again with a more critical eye.

I think Mieville’s Bas-Lag trilogy are pretty fantastic as weird fantasy so I’ll second that recommendation. Mieville himself is a marxist and it comes through in the third book in the series, Iron Council quite strongly. You don’t have to read them in chronological order but a lack of familiarity with the world-building done in Perdido Street Station isn’t really accommodated by the subsequent entries. When a Handlinger shows up, you won’t know how fucked up that is unless you’ve read 900 pages of Perdido.

My girlfriend loves the Abarat series by Clive Barker and I definitely need to read them because I love me some Barker short stories, so maybe that’s a rec as well.

2 Likes

There’s a particularly satisfying pay off in Iron Council if you read Perdido Street Station.

1 Like

If you are looking for something shorter, might I recommend JY Yang’s novellas published by Tor.com? You can find a nice overview of the first two books, and the premise of the series/world, here: https://www.tor.com/2017/09/26/enter-the-vast-and-beautiful-world-of-jy-yangs-tensorate-series/

1 Like

Thank you! I’ll check out the link!

Oooh, I also wanna take a moment to mention my favorite “classic” fantasy author, Lord Dunsany. His book, The King of Elfland’s Daughter, and short stories served as major inspiration for Tolkien and, in general, are just beautiful and dreamily written. Most all of his stuff can be found on Project Gutenberg if you don’t mind digital reading: http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/author/2685

Justina Robson Glorious Angels - mix of fantasy/sci-fi/horror, similar to Meville as being classed as a New Weird author. The very basic premise is a matriarchy empire ruled by 8 empresses, each in a city state. One is at war with another race who are very different from humans to recover some old piece of technology. A handful of characters from that city including a women who is the head of engineering and her two teenage daughters all get involved this war and politics of the empire.

To paraphrase one review its a book that after you finish you realise the author is way smarter than you and there is a whole lot you missed the first time reading it. Similar to Gene Wolfe’s books of the New Sun in that manner.

Another new weird author is Steph Swainson whose Castle series is set in world where an emperor rules a land with the aid of the circle, which are a group of people he grants immortality to if they excel at a skill he deems useful in an ongoing war against a race of insects, they only remain immortal as long as they are the best at that particular skill and can be challenged by mortals for their place.

The main character due to his parentage is the only person in the world who can fly which got him the position of Messenger in the circle. He also is addicted to a drug that allows him to visit a parallel reality. A mix of war against the insects, internal struggles in the empire involving mortals and immortals and the messengers quest to figure out the history of the empire and it’s emperor is a broad overview view of what goes in the series.

The series also has really good titles - ‘the year of our war’ and ‘No present like time’ which I really like as a phrase and a title of a book where a member of the circle loses their spot and immortality.

Kai Ashante novellas - Sorcerer of the Wildeeps and a taste of honey. Beautiful written, short works of fantasy focusing on the romantic relationships between gay black men in an advanced technology inseparable from magic kind of world.

2 Likes