Years Later, the Ending of 'Dragon's Dogma' Remains Wonderfully Weird and Subversive

Postscript is Cameron Kunzelman's weekly column about endings, apocalypses, deaths, bosses, and all sorts of other finalities.

Spoilers ahead for the ending of Dragon’s Dogma.

The inciting incident of Dragon’s Dogma is a deal with a dragon. It plucks the still-beating heart from your created character’s chest and sets the newly-declared Arisen off on a quest to become a hero and rid the land of that same dragon, lest the world be thrown into darkness and destruction. Short of the heart stuff, this is familiar territory for fantasy games, and you’d be forgiven for missing this game from 2012 that’s recently been re-released in an enhanced form as Dragon’s Dogma: Dark Arisen for the Nintendo Switch.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/zmpyke/years-later-the-ending-of-dragons-dogma-remains-wonderfully-weird-and-subversive
1 Like

Nice article!
Dragons Dogma came highly reccomended for the game mechanics but no one really brought home just how weird the game is (at least enough to regester in my easily distracted brain), was a pleasant surprise.

1 Like

Nice article. I have read about the ending to Dragon’s Dogma sometime before, but not with the consideration and context that I am beginning to appreciate from your writings.