"You know what game, I'm good thanks" stopping games at a certain point

I have left various games unfinished over the years, as others come on the scene or I just lose interest. However last night I had a situation that is pretty rare to me, in that I got to a point in a game and knew immediately that I was done with it. Game in question was Shantae: Half Genie Hero on my Switch. I have got about halfway through, and repeated early levels to toughen up my character and improve damage, but I have hit a series of levels where it was instadeath and you have to restart the entire level/large section, or two falls and the same thing happens. After spending an hour on the boss of the third level a previous evening, a spent another hour last night no getting further and I got to a certain point, died and went “You know what, I like the way this game looks and part of me wants to see further levels, but I’m done, this is not worth the hassle”.

Probably on me for not being good enough at platformers, but it is pretty rare for me to switch an uncompleted game off and know at that point I am not going back to it again.

Anyone else have games where they can pinpoint the exact moment they quit it for good?

I totally get this a lot, especially when it comes to 2D platformers. I find that it often has to do with that frustration level - it can be a good tool in a game, helping you feel accomplished (see Dark Souls) but it’s so easy to push over into not feeling fun, and when that happens, yeah no.

This is gonna sound blasphemous, but I’m kinda like this with 2D Mario games. I tried to play Mario World on the Wii U and it just felt off to me, died way to many times, so just gave up when I hit the second world. Just not for me I guess.

There was a Kotaku article not so long ago evangelising about quitting games when you’ve reached peak enjoyment, even if you’ve not “actually” completed it. I feel that.

The main example was Overwatch - why not quit while you’re ahead, in a good mood, rather than ragequit after a series of defeats, in a sour mood - but I’ve found it apply to non-competitive/traditional narrative games, too. After many enjoyable hours in the world of Mafia III, and knowing I was maybe only halfway done, I decided to peace out and have my lasting impression of the game be a positive one, instead of burning out and hating it.

Wish that’s what I’d done with Alien Isolation: ejected the disc after ten hours of effective, beautifully realised retro-space-horror, at the part which very much felt like a climax, rather than bruteforcing my way through increasingly tedious xenomorph encounters and equally boring swarms of robot enemies which just totally ruined the amazing sense of place, tension and atmosphere the early game had :frowning:

I can think of a handful: I bailed out of FFVII before beating sephiroth, and FFVI at the magic tower, because I knew the only way to advance was more grinding, and I felt I’d lost my patience for that.

In Dragon’s Dogma I managed to survive a brutal night but failed a quest in doing so, so I reset the game (thinking I’d go back to the last town) and instead lost 3 hours of gameplay. At that point I decided the frustration wasn’t worth it- the time I have to play games is really limited now, so if can’t progress at all in a gaming session I may as well not bother and move on to something else

I stopped Shadow of the Colossus at the water one. 7th, I think. I hadn’t really enjoyed the first 6, but how popular it is and the reputation SOTC has made me want to give it more of a chance.

For me it was Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, at first it took a number of hours to get working via Steam then I got to Dantooine and my save corrupted.

I couldn’t bring myself to start the game again so soon so I stopped.

I do want to play it though so I may come back to it.

• KotOR is the first to come to mind. I wasn’t loving the game up to Kasshyyk but when I killed every enemy there by throwing lightsabers at them and got dinged on the path of righteousness for a decision that appeared to be the “good” decision I noped out.

• Fable. I really enjoyed being an OP Holy Guardian Skeleton Killer but put the game down after losing a couple hours grinding to an Xbox crash. I think I was very near the end, too.

• Shadow of Mordor. I enjoyed several hours of senseless orc murdering but after twice failing a story mission that required me to best a bunch of enemies while not getting hit I realized I’d killed enough orcs and could safely leave the game.

• Far Cry 2. Respawning outposts are bad and should feel bad.

The death star battle in The Force Unleashed. Oh my god I don’t want to return to that.

I also almost never leave a game that I’ve purchased unfinished, sunk cost fallacy I guess, but every once in a while a game will still grind me down with repeatedly annoying antics and I’ll just toss it aside. Most recently was Grow Up. I really liked Grow Home but Grow Up just seemed like it turned up the annoying aspects with timed challenges that have no business in a game with extremely floaty controls.

I think before that it was Castlevania: Lords of Shadow and I just got tired of it wrenching control away from me every few seconds to show me something that I could already see or showing me the way forward when I already knew where I was going. I’ve played games long enough now that I’ve lost all patience for that kind of obsessive, mandatory hand-holding. Give me the tools I need so that I can decide when or if I use them. Just give me a map or a compass or a button to hit for a context clue if I get lost.

I had a very similar experience, but with the 3D mario games. The one that immediately springs to mind is Super Mario Galaxy: I got as far as Ray Surfing 101. I kept flying out of the track, and after 15 minutes or so of this I knew I was done.

There are a couple of games I immediately think of that I stopped for very different reasons.

I had a lot of fun playing Fallout 4, I did a good chunk of the story, but I didn’t focus on it, choosing instead to create a game for myself that was equal parts Sniper Elite and The Sims*. I’d wander the wastes for a while OSOK-ing any baddie unfortunate enough to cross my path with my heavily modified hunting rifle, then stop by the nearest settlement to build them a new dining hall, bunk house, or my interpretation of the Hanging Gardens of Babylon (complete with trees growing out of the top; Thanks Modders!).
Anyway, in the course of my wandering I stumbled across Libertalia (the raider boat city). If played properly, Libertalia is like a mini-golf course for sniping, with shots like: hit the guy just as he passes the porthole, or wait for the rocking of your boat and their boat to synch up so you can just see the top of their head. I cleared out the entire place (outside at least) without ever being spotted, and I knew I had beaten my game of Fallout 4. I put it down, satisfied, and haven’t been back.

*I really only like the house design part of the The Sims games, once I have to actually take care of these particularly complex tamagotchi I fall off pretty quick.

The Witness, on the other hand, I just quit. I was never quite sure that I liked it to begin with, and it made me kinda motion sick (which is rare for me with modern games), but I pressed on, finished some of the early areas, then I came across the area the game’s wiki calls “The Bunker”. The basic mechanic was simple to understand, but irritatingly slow to execute. I finished the first section, and I was just done. If all I was gaining was a better comprehension of a game I wasn’t actually enjoying, I wondered, what was the point? I uninstalled it without a second thought.

I was on the snow planet on Mass Effect Andromeda, 20 hours in. I looked at my left and there was a line of fetch quests, I looked at my right and there was another barren land that I had to cross with the Nomad. It was time for me to make peace with this game, I have already seen everything it had to offer several times over and wasn’t willing to put a single more second when I landed there.

I was so ready to love this game, they sold me on the prospect of expanding what made Mass Effect 1 (best ME) good, and they managed to make it worse. I feel so betrayed. There wasn’t anything ME1-ish anyway.

My dude, you played Fallout 4 almost exactly as I continue to do, though I lean more toward the settlement-building side of things. I pop it in on occasion but yeah, I straight-up Fultoned myself out of its actual written plot as soon as I could.

i grinded for an hour to beat a boss fairly early on in SMT IV and the immediate next room had a boss that i was going to have to grind for at least another hour to beat, so i stopped playing and it left a real bad taste in my mouth lol

I remember playing LittleBigPlanet 3 and quitting because of the loading times. Profiles in the level browser took forever to start displaying, and many of the levels took a minute to load, or never even loaded for me. After trying to play a level one day that never loaded, I quit the game.

It’s too bad, because I loved LBP’s user made levels. The large amount of tools made for a great variety in the levels you could make, including an arcade shooter or a cinematic level. They just needed to optimize it more so you could load up and get into a level quickly.

This is a story about why I quit Pokemon.

I have a tendency with Pokemon games to pick a ‘secondary starter’ as a buddy. It’s usually a wild Pokemon which manages to catch my attention. In Silver it was a Chinchou that fascinated me with its unique type combination. In Emerald it was a Mightyena that almost wiped my entire team. In Pokemon White Version I found my secondary starter and companion in a particularly tough Sawk who OHKO’d my Dewott with a Hi Jump Kick. I named him Sanji. Sawk is a humanoid fighting type who looks like a blue karate muppet made of stained glass. He also kicks like a Mack truck, hence the name. Sanji became my primary party member, and after tons of good battless and badges, we made it to the Elite Four rematch (long story). My team’s movelist was set and I had a zillion revives and full restores. We went in… and lost on the second battle. So I tried again and we lost again. Rinse, repeat. After about 10 failed runs, I acquiesced and decided to do some deeper research into the Four’s team compositions. I try not to do theorycrafting in pokemon games, but I was at my wit’s end and was considering just quitting. I figured out a plausible strategy which could get me to the Champion with most of my ‘Mon intact. It only sort of worked. Some bad decisions and RNG had wiped most of my team, but I finally made it to the Champion after about 15 failed runs. I had one Full Restore, I was completely out of Revives, and Sanji the Sawk was my last Pokemon. I saved my game right at the door because I knew this was it. If I couldn’t beat the Champion like this, I was never going to beat the Champion. The battle started and things went alright for a bit, but I missed a critical step in my sequence and Sanji was knocked out from a. I knew I had one more run in me, so I put the DS down for the night. Fortunately that didn’t last. I tried one last time a few hours later and completely wiped the floor with Adler. It wasn’t even close this time. Sanji solo’'d the entire team and I didn’t even need the Full Restore. The credits rolled and I just sat there with a dopey grin on my face and my hands in the air. I did it. It was like graduating, that feeling of accomplishment mixing with the sourness of leaving something familiar behind. At that moment I knew no Pokemon game would hold the same charge I felt right then. My journey with Sanji and the rest of my team will always be the pinnacle of my time playing Pokemon and I have no desire to change that.

I stopped playing Etrian Odyssey IV, in part because I didn’t like how the game handled introducing new classes and the retire system/level grinding, but what really cinched it was in the third area, after who knows how many hours of intensive, exhausting dungeoneering, I looked around and realized “Oh, I’ve got like sixty more hours of very intense dungeoneering in this game. You know what, I don’t need that in my life,” set the game down, and never looked back.

SMT4 made me cry for the first 8 hours or so, but the discovery of what happens after made it so worth it and one of my favorite JRPG of the decade.

Not that you should force yourself to continue or anything, no reason to go through a bad time lol but SMT4 was one of the few games where going past the “I’m good my dude” stage actually yielded good results. It was deliberately old-school is what I’m saying.

This does happen to me occasionally.

I know Far Cry 2 has its big fans but I found myself bouncing off its various systems from the start. There was one particular thing where you had to track diamonds using some sort of radar system. I was already tired of the game and people spotting me from miles and miles off even though I felt I was well hidden, and just the lack of feedback o was getting from that kind of stuff. I was looking for this diamond for about 15 straight minutes before I realised that it might be on the sloped roof of the shed for no reason. I said to myself: if that’s where it is, I’m done. And I was done.

More recently I stopped playing Gravity Rush 2 in the middle of a particularly long and tedious series of forced stealth sections. I don’t know whose idea it was to fill the game with stealth but not include any actual stealth mechanics, but they killed it for me.

Most recently, I stopped playing Beyond Two Souls on PS4 because it started getting into some lowkey racist mystic Navajo shit that I was 100% not a fan of.