Your first "X" game

Recently, someone I follow on twitter reminisced about, coincidentally, my very first RTS, Rise Of Nations: Rise of Legends
220px-RiseOfLegendsBox
My memories of it are not incredibly strong aside from the three factions being steampunk, magic, and some kinda technocratic religion thing which had giant floating pyramids, also that I had a ton of fun. I only ever played on easy and would just deathball in custom matches against the computer, I can’t remember ever even completing the story, but it was great. The hero units were always my favorite part.

So, I’m making this thread to pose the question: what was your first exposure to a certain genre of game? Did you like it at the time? Do you think you’d still like it? Can you even recall it? Let me know!

1 Like

Playing Ace Combat 7 has reminded me of my first ever flight game. My dad had a copy of Microsoft Combat(!) Flight Simulator back in the early 2000s and a Sidewinder flight stick. He was extremely into vanilla Flight Simulator while I was all about those combat sorties.

I would turn on infinite ammo just to have a chance because those old WW2 planes had what seemed three magazines and a pointed stick to shoot other airplanes out the damn sky. I must have spent 1000 hours with that thing.

1 Like

My first MMO was Runescape. A buddy of mine who I used to play UT99 with was playing it and wanted me to try since I had taken a job in a rural area that only had dial up access and it could run on dial up while UT99 could not. I only ever played the free to play portion but I eventual got all the free skills to over level 75, which is a stupid amount of grinding. It was all wasted time but it was efficiently spent wasted time. I would listen to 1Up Yours, start grinding a skill in Runescape, tab over to Peggle to take a shot, then pick up my PSP and get into a battle in FF7, then cycle back to Runescape.

5 Likes

My first X Game was SSX Tricky

11 Likes

(yanks you off the stage with that big cane they used when a vaudville performer was bombing)

2 Likes

DMX appears in the cast for Def Jam Vendetta, according to Mobygames

Once I finally get around to playing that Resident Evil 2 remake, it’ll be my first Mr. X game

Def Jam Vendetta is weird freaking game on paper, but turned to be surprisingly very fun

1 Like

Y’all are really reaching with those “X game” jokes… Mine was X: Beyond the Frontier (1999) :wink:

The first flight simulator I remember playing (and I use that word loosely) was Airbus A320 on the Amiga 500. It was a pack-in with a massive manual that told you which buttons to press in what order to do things like pre-flight checks and communications with the tower. The actual flying was almost simple in comparison!

I played it together with a friend, one person held the manual and called out buttons to press, the other was in charge of execution. Our biggest triumph was when we managed to land without destroying the airplane. It wasn’t where we were supposed to go, or even anywhere near a runway, but we were so proud! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I probably should have said Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater 2, to make it more obvious which X Games I was joking about.

To be serious, my first RPG was Final Fantasy 6. I guess I would have been 11 at the time. I had gotten my SNES for $20 from a neighbor who was getting rid of all of his stuff and moving to the other side of the mountains so that he’d be in the correct location for the apocalypse, and I only had Super Mario World, a Super Scope that didn’t work, and some sports game that I didn’t like at all.

And a subscription to Nintendo Power. One of the games I saw in it that was coming soon looked fucking amazing, so I saved up for months. Maybe it was months, i’m not sure. It probably felt like it, because Final Fantasy 6 (3 at the time since i’m in the US) cost 80 goddamn dollars at first, plus I also got the strategy guide.

I played the hell out of it and loved every second of it. The most distinct memory I have of it is the floating continent, because I was playing it at a time when my mother and I had to leave to go to something. Right when I had beaten it and Kefka was destroying the planet, and that sequence takes a looooooong time until you regain control of Celes and can save the game.

The rest of my playthrough was less eventful, reality-wise, but the game was still amazing. It got me hooked on the genre, and even now decades later it’s still my favorite. Final Fantasy 6 is why I put 1000 hours into Skyrim, why I love Dark Souls, why I tried and fell in love with the best game of 2018 Crosscode. Plus it’s still fantastic even now, I replayed it last year. Not the rerelease though I hate those muddy-ass cartoon character sprites.

2 Likes

Shovel Knight wasn’t my first 2D platformer, but it was the first one I played where I thought “damn, I should play more of these.” And then they took over my life!

1 Like

Okay okay, if we’re being serious, my first game that I truly ‘owned’ (not co-owned with my brother), and first game I fell in love with was Wario Land 3 for Game Boy Color.

When I was either 5 or 6, my parents got me and my brother our own Game Boy Colors right before we were set to go on vacation. It was one of the earliest games I ever remember playing, and I have such fond memories of it, I think it may actually be what made me fall in love with video games. It was also my first ever handheld game and probably part of the reason why I have such a soft spot for handhelds to this day.

2 Likes

The big arcade X-men beat 'em up was my X game

2 Likes

My first RPG was Willow for NES. I have been in love with the genre ever since, and I still think about playing that game all the time as a defining experience in my life. I think it was what really made me fall in love with the medium, and long for beautiful and lush worlds to escape to in future games. I often think about trying to replay it, but I never do because I’m afraid to sully the memories I have of it. The closest thing I’ve found to that experience in my time as a vidja gamist is playing the Dragon Age games. (I really hope Dragon Age 4 is not awful, not that I won’t put 500+ hours into it anyway.)

1 Like

my first racing game was Star Wars Episode 1: Racer

no not the good one from the arcades, n64, or pc

the game boy color one with the bulky-ass cartridge that could fit an extra aa battery for the built-in “rumble” effect

the one where I would constantly slide off the track and explode because taking turns with a 4-way d-pad is just no good folks

to this day I have never really gotten into racing games and this formative experience is probably why

1 Like

My first western RPG was Kotor and it was a revelation because I only played JRPGs at that time.

Wait, I can be a girl? I can be black too!? My choices actually have an affect on the plot? I never thought until I played Kotor what the role playing part in RPG actually meant.

3 Likes

My first MMO was City of Heroes. I’d heard about Everquest and was thoroughly unimpressed by the idea of a game you had to pay a monthly fee for. It sounded like a scam. It was further bolstered by the fact that I had a friend who actually loved Everquest, and he would tell me about (what I guess were) early raid bosses where it would take an entire server several days to whittle some sort of rainbow colored blob down until it died. The whole experience sounded like it was designed to waste your time so you’d stay subscribed.

The beta for City of Heroes was free! It was my chance to see what all of this was about without having to actually remain on the hook for anything. City of Heroes was great; I made a character that looked like B.A. Baracus from The A-Team called “Herbal T.” With everything being so new, playing it with my friends made it feel like there was something new and exciting around every corner. The treadmill I’d feared so much from Everquest just wasn’t a factor. I was actually having a lot of fun!

My computer wasn’t good enough to handle the game. Being in any heavily populated area for too long would grind my framerate down to the single digits. When it came time for the beta to end, Cryptic had set up an event where aliens invaded the home city. With so many players in such a tightly compacted area plus a flood of aliens, I actually achieved framerates below 1fps. When that happens, the game starts thinking you’ve lost connection and eventually boots you from the server.

A few years later, with a more beefy system in tow, Cryptic sent around one of their “free weekend for lapsed players” events, and since I was in the beta, I was included in that distinction. I decided to see what had become of City of Heroes in the intervening time.

I tagged along with some friends as they did their dailies and I almost died from boredom. They knew every zone like the back of their hand; there was no sense of discovery, and the rote act of cleaning up trash mobs to grind out collectathon missions was everything I hated-by-proxy from Everquest.

I never looked back. Not just with City of Heroes, but the entire MMO genre, period.

There’s always a part of me that wonders if I should at least give World of Warcraft a look, though, before it finally shrivels up and goes away forever. I also bought the vanilla version of Final Fantasy 14 in a Humble Bundle nearly three years ago with the intent of joining some friends who seemed to be having an awful lot of fun with A Realm Reborn, but… I don’t know, man. I just don’t know.

1 Like

Whoa, I have a pretty similar story! My family was about to go on a long flight so they let my little brother and me each get one game for our Game Boy Colors, and I picked Wario Land 3. That game holds up, dammit. (My brother got the GBC game based off the Disney movie Dinosaur. It’s definitely a video game, that’s for sure.)

2 Likes

My first RTS was Warcraft II. I played it a friend’s house whose parents were a bit less hands-on about video game content than my own. It’s kind of laughable what I (and my parents) thought was objectionable at the time. Birds’ eye views of some blood, some naked Ogre butts, and the most scandalous thing to me at the time, an Orc structure called the “Temple of the D-a-m-n-ed.” (I was like 7.)

1 Like

Bloodborne was my first ever souls game. I had never hear of FromSoftware and I knew nothing about any of their games or any games adjacent to the genre. I bought Bloodborne because it was on a must but Black Friday games list. It was super cheap and the art looked interesting so I took the chance.

I put the game in and started playing. I had mo idea what was going on. I was horrible and I was frustrated. I never made it past the Central Yharnam lantern and I began to think it was the only checkpoint in the game. Enraged that I had wasted $20 on a game that was too hard and too short, I shut the disc in the box.

A few months later I began to hear more and more about how amazing this game was. I thought to myself, What are these people thinking? That game sucked! There was no substantial content and what little it had was so hard it wasn’t fun. I was curious as to why people thought this though, so I did some research.

Ch.2: Get Good Boi

What hole did I just fall into? I saw pictures and videos of beautiful bosses and stunning gothic towers. Where were these things when I was playing? I had to find them. I want on Reddit in search of more help. I went on the Bloodborne subreddit and I found what I needed. After a few tips and the new found knowledge that I was about to embark on my hardest gamer journey yet, I opened that box. I beat some minor enemies. Then, I beat a stone giant. I found a shortcut! Holy shit! That giant beast just jumped off a building! I die. I die again, but I’m not dying as quickly. I am getting the good. I beat the boss. I find another. I die and die and die. I contiually feel my heart pumping and my hands shaking until I earn that triumphant message “prey slaughtered.” I am good.

I beat the game. I watch endless lore videos. I play it again. I buy the collector’s edition off ebay for too much money. I buy the Dark Souls Trilogy in the steel box.

My life is forever changed.

1 Like

The year was 20-ought-zero, San Francisco.

The X-Games prior to, Mr. Tony Hawk had landed the first 900 and in doing so altered the trajectory of extreme sports forever.

This was much less astonishing. I best remember the incredibly long line running from Pier 32 to about the Ferry Building.