YouTube’s ‘Skyrim’ Grandma Is Taking a Break After Reading the Comments

The 82-year-old Shirley Curry, affectionately known as Skyrim Grandma, is taking a two week break from YouTube. I can relate.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/4ayvvb/youtubes-skyrim-grandma-is-taking-a-break-after-reading-the-comments
3 Likes

Getting a browser addon to block comments is one of the things I think should just be a mandatory install.

The only place I want to see a comment is on a tutorial video where I might need something clarified.

5 Likes

Comment sections are a mistake. If people want to comment on an article or video, they should have to do so on a completely separate website.

(This may seem like I’m being arch, but I’m not, I truly believe this is better than any of the shit Web 2.0 foisted upon us.)

2 Likes

Echoing the sentiment that comment sections are bad. Every time I read anything and scroll down on IGN (I don’t know why I still read them either) it makes me wonder why they have a comment section at all. I’ve never once seen a productive conversation happen underneath an IGN article. If readers aren’t harassing each other they’re attacking the writer or the website itself. Is there some monetary reason to keep comments coming in that’s tied to site/page engagement? If anyone knows and wants to explain it I would genuinely like to know.

3 Likes

here’s a comment from the grandma herself on a similar article by vg247

4 Likes

It wouldn’t surprise me if it was one of those things where tech companies are legit afraid of ineffectual backlash from free speech warriors

All the more reason to remove it lmao

1 Like

Imagine being the kind of dude (it’s always a dude) who badgers an 80-year-old woman who’s providing free content for you to watch.

5 Likes

I’m sure the article will be updated with her comments.

1 Like

This situation has gotten so weird. Like, she posted a video citing patronizing and obnoxious comments as stressors and a reason for the break, that’s a fact. But, because VG24/7 specifically used the word “onslaught”, which she didn’t appreciate apparently, this has turned into another fucking “burn the witch” gator brigade

2 Likes